Do you suffer?

Edit My Images
Yes
It seems I am not the only one with Hay Fever . . . Pass the tissues

Hayfever-1_zpsg60rtui1.jpg

Terribly, to the point where I have to get an annual prescription from the doctor as nothing on the shelf helps.

I take a tablet a day, nasel spray and eye drops for about 3 months.

Hasn't started for me yet, but like Elliot I need Telfast on prescription which I compliment with OTC meds. Otherwise I die. Noisily.

Not started yet
Have successfully controlled with Beconase nasal spray for the last few years

Suffer terribly due to a tree pollen allergy that developed a few years back.

Nothing seems to help bar a double dose antihistamines sadly and even then it's still highly unpleasant

I used to get it rather bad and used to take a combination of antihistamines, eye drops and nasal sprays depending on how bad it got. Then I decided to put up with it one year without any medication. Haven't had much issues since then (touchwood)

I never had it up to 30 but I worked somewhere that large scale grass cutting was done and I was exposed to large doses regularly.

I`m positive that gave me the allergy but Im sure people will just say you cant get the allergy from exposure. I disagree, I was fine before that

Im sure people will just say you cant get the allergy from exposure

You can. A friend used to keep bees for many years and got stung fairly often (compared to someone with less exposure to bees!). Then one day she was stung and went into anaphylactic shock - her 5 year old (at the time) son dialled 999 and got an ambulance there in time to save her but she no longer keeps bees and carries an EpiPen everywhere just in case.

Is everyone aware that some prescription only drugs for hayfever/rhinitis are now not prescription only and as such you wont be able to get them from the GP.
I used to take Beconase regularly for rhinitis (non seasonal, all year) for my food intolerance/allergy, now it's non-prescription so has to be purchased OTC, wouldn't mind but I have only recently become eligible for "free" prescriptions (over 60's perk) but now I will* have to pay for the stuff, which I have done for the last 20 years, so just when I thought I was going to get it free the Govt decide to withdraw that "perk".

* Or I would do but my GP has prescribed a different/stronger drug which is still only available on prescription, bless him.

Lucky I don't suffer with hay fever but I do have an allergy to ant stings. And I'm also allergic to honey and strawberries which can be annoying, especially the latter as even the smell of them brings me out in a ghastly rash.
I can sympathise with HF suffers though as I do suffer from LPR which brings on rhinitis and sinusitis.

Back in the early 80's at the age of 16 I developed hay fever. I sneezed continually and my eyes would be very red and stream also. After a couple of years of this my GP gave me a course of 3 injection in February, this went on for three years ànd I haven't had even so much as a sniffle even when the grass pollen count is very high.

Last edited:
I've always suffered quite badly which is less than ideal given my occupation (arable farmer). Over the past couple of years however I've been on immunosuppression medication for an unrelated medical condition and since then I've had virtually no problems with hayfever. Its a bit of a sledgehammer cure but it's done the trick (not quite sure I'd entirely recommend it out of choice mind you)

Back