Doe & Calf Deer this morning (ID confirmation requested please too)

Name
Ant
Edit My Images
No
Wow, what a morning. I set out early to catch some Stonechats and other small birds, which was going well and then I heard the ground thump, I thought it was maybe a hare or large rabbit. Much to my amazement it was the calf bounding around and closely followed by the doe. I was so excited as this was not at all expected in this area (South Cumbria, Coastal dunes, beach and some long grasses in between). Luckily I already had my long lens on for the birds so off I went. I know they're not amazing photos, but I'm just happy I got some keepers as all the excitement left my shooting stance less than steady ;). I have no experience but from a little googling I've thought Red Deer, would be good if someone could confirm the ID (y)

DSC00793 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC00796 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC01087 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC01084 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC01000-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC00958 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC00811 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC00801 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

I thinks they are Roe Deer, I usually see them in the south west around Eskdale. I don’t think there are any Red Deer in that area of the Lake District. I’ve heard the Red Deer are up near Haweswater.

Last edited:
Yep Red Deer, very nice encounter :)

[Edit] Rob's local knowledge ^^^ may beat my visual id. :)

Last edited:
Yep Red Deer, very nice encounter :)

[Edit] Rob's local knowledge ^^^ may beat my visual id. :)

Thanks

I thinks they are Roe Deer, I usually see them in the south west around Eskdale. I don’t think there are any Red Deer in that area of the Lake District. I’ve heard the Red Deer are up near Haweswater.

These were in Barrow-In-Furness, believe it or not ;)

Great set of shots of a Roe deer and her fawn and a top find too, missed out on getting some local to me so seeing these gives me an incentive to keep trying.

Great set of shots of a Roe deer and her fawn and a top find too, missed out on getting some local to me so seeing these gives me an incentive to keep trying.

Thanks I was very lucky, usually if something happens I have completely the wrong lens set up. Like when I'm doing a 14mm Landscape from the top of a peak in the Lakes and the RAF do a fly by, that's happened to me twice :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

To add to Lez and Martin without question this is roe 100%

Ant, the 3rd image is a corker(for me anyway) the set a real rare find. You did really well here,there are at least a couple of your posters in this thread that have spent a lot of time trying for something similar me being one. Sadly work clobbered my efforts but I'm not quite done yet........... it don't matter how hard one tries there is always that bit o luck involved!! I don't begrudge ya that mate we all need that at times Cheers for sharing just fab to see I'm also jealous as hell !!:LOL:

Rob/Roger red are huge compared with roe more bovine like obviously the bucks and stags antlers are a complete give away at the right time of year,but it's size and shape that will give you the field ID especially of a hind or doe ............Roe are a lot smaller than one thinks they really are tiny. also very svelt/graceful . you will almost always find reds together like fallow. But you won't ever see a herd of roe,maybe a small groups 2 or 3 sometimes and rarely more 7 being my largest . the ladies of both go a bit solitary when they have the fawns,but very simply if you are looking at a herd it wont be roe:)

They are a bit like hares and rabbits,the minute one is seeing both they are chalk and cheese...... but if one doesn't see both in the field they can easily be mixed up .

I hope this helps a tiny bit,only 6 species of deer in UK and only two natives roe and red...

Nice images Ant good for you :cool:

stu

><snip
They are a bit like hares and rabbits,the minute one is seeing both they are chalk and cheese...... but if one doesn't see both in the field they can easily be mixed up .
><snip
stu
What Stuart says sounds unlikely but he’s spot on as usual. It’s really odd that in a distant view running roe can look like hare and vice versa. I think it depends on surrounding grass/crops tricking one on the range so you think the “hare” is nearer/larger and the roe further/smaller, been caught out a few times and I’ve seen a lot of both :(.

It was the size I clocked first; I know very little about deer identification as they don't generally occur in the countryside where I live (except on fenced parkland country estates and in the upland Derbyshire fringes), however knowing a bit about UK vegetation comes in handy. That looks like false oat-grass the deer is in, if so, the flowers heads usually grow about 3 or 4 feet in height on average ground, which gave me something to scale the height of the deer against. This made the doe too small to be an adult red.

To add to Lez and Martin without question this is roe 100%

Ant, the 3rd image is a corker(for me anyway) the set a real rare find. You did really well here,there are at least a couple of your posters in this thread that have spent a lot of time trying for something similar me being one. Sadly work clobbered my efforts but I'm not quite done yet........... it don't matter how hard one tries there is always that bit o luck involved!! I don't begrudge ya that mate we all need that at times Cheers for sharing just fab to see I'm also jealous as hell !!:LOL:

Rob/Roger red are huge compared with roe more bovine like obviously the bucks and stags antlers are a complete give away at the right time of year,but it's size and shape that will give you the field ID especially of a hind or doe ............Roe are a lot smaller than one thinks they really are tiny. also very svelt/graceful . you will almost always find reds together like fallow. But you won't ever see a herd of roe,maybe a small groups 2 or 3 sometimes and rarely more 7 being my largest . the ladies of both go a bit solitary when they have the fawns,but very simply if you are looking at a herd it wont be roe:)

I hope this helps a tiny bit,only 6 species of deer in UK and only two natives roe and red...

Nice images Ant good for you :cool:

stu

Thanks for the kind words and sharing your knowledge. There was more than a little luck involved and I like I've said just so lucky I already had the 150-600 on for birds otherwise I reckon I would have missed the whole thing. Still an amazing morning/experience that I won't forget and very happy to have some photos that don't stink :ROFLMAO:

What Stuart says sounds unlikely but he’s spot on as usual. It’s really odd that in a distant view running roe can look like hare and vice versa. I think it depends on surrounding grass/crops tricking one on the range so you think the “hare” is nearer/larger and the roe further/smaller, been caught out a few times and I’ve seen a lot of both :(.

TBF on folks alot of what I utter sounds unlikely Rich.:LOL:.......... I can't really blame anyone for that ,:oops: :$

Actually buddy I meant folks mixing up hares and rabbits or mixing up the different deer as separates,rather than deer and hare mix ups. But it makes no odds:D as I have also done exactly as you say, IE mixed a roe and a hare many many times,especially that first glance caught in periphery vision . So even though there has been a slight mix up..(my bad Rich : tis my english my most humble apologies ) I actually think it's added to the thread:)

Ant , you are welcome , but the thanks are mine mate cracking to see these images luck doesn't matter ,you got them !!!!!!!! i'm no expert though

Roe being native for one, and locally about, are a species I adore trying to make an image of. They are a bit more special to me because they are never tame or semi domesticated parkland deer. They are wild and damn tricky to photograph regularly,so a real challenge I see them often hence being so sure on ID

Incidentally deer have some mad nomenclature for the males females and little ones, it is quite specific to the different species..............if your images above were of red you would have a hind and calf in your pictures but being Roe you have a doe and kid,would you believe. not calf not fawn but kid!!

have a look here /www.bds.org.uk/index.php/advice-education/species?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv7-aosmg4wIViUHTCh3UpAHmEAAYASAAEgLBBvD_BwE

The BDS are a great place to learn about deer I see Rob's already linked them above

thanks for sharing mate loved seeing them and the words behind what happened

cheers both

TBF on folks alot of what I utter sounds unlikely Rich.:LOL:.......... I can't really blame anyone for that ,:oops: :$

Actually buddy I meant folks mixing up hares and rabbits or mixing up the different deer as separates,rather than deer and hare mix ups. But it makes no odds:D as I have also done exactly as you say, IE mixed a roe and a hare many many times,especially that first glance caught in periphery vision . So even though there has been a slight mix up..(my bad Rich : tis my english my most humble apologies ) I actually think it's added to the thread:)
Sorry Stu, nothing wrong with your English (on this occasion :D) , I completely misread what you had written.
Ant , you are welcome , but the thanks are mine mate cracking to see these images luck doesn't matter ,you got them !!!!!!!! i'm no expert though

Roe being native for one, and locally about, are a species I adore trying to make an image of. They are a bit more special to me because they are never tame or semi domesticated parkland deer. They are wild and damn tricky to photograph regularly,so a real challenge I see them often hence being so sure on ID

Incidentally deer have some mad nomenclature for the males females and little ones, it is quite specific to the different species..............if your images above were of red you would have a hind and calf in your pictures but being Roe you have a doe and kid,would you believe. not calf not fawn but kid!!

have a look here /www.bds.org.uk/index.php/advice-education/species?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv7-aosmg4wIViUHTCh3UpAHmEAAYASAAEgLBBvD_BwE
And that BDS page doesn‘t mention ‘hart’ for male — possibly avoiding controversy since it seems many say it refers to red stag but I’ve always associated it with fallow males, maybe influenced by illustrations (pub signs etc) in Southern England.
The BDS are a great place to learn about deer I see Rob's already linked them above

thanks for sharing mate loved seeing them and the words behind what happened

cheers both

Me and eng lang bro always a fight................ too funny:D I'll take this one occassion though:banana:

Rich...hart........... me too probably same reasons also a southern boy... the leaning is for hart and fallow to be associated Going one step further maybe that tie in being strengthened by the so oft "white hart" being used on a pub sign. so the artist paints a fallow as those are the white male deer most frequently seen??

Just musing out loud no substance ,these names do fascinate me though so specific

I also noted the hart ommision I just felt it being an old word that maybe it wasn't there as it's not used by modern deer stalking type folks?? These names including the specifics like pricket or switch for example must be incredibly useful to two folks talking about a specific animal.

Back