Does anybody use the Microsoft Surface Pro for Lightroom on the go?

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
After selling my Macbook 12 2015 I'm missing something portable to PP my pictures. I sold it because I was able to flick through and process pictures much faster with my desktop i7 6700 desktop with 16GB RAM compared with mobile processor m3 in the macbook. I've taken quite some number of holiday snaps and being able to play with them on the day of shooting is more fun and doesn't leave you with all of them to do when you get back so I'm perhaps going to flog some things to get something to fill the gap.

Has anybody used the Surface Pro 3/4 to run the full version of Lightroom? I'm thinking along with a mouse I could do what I do now on my desktop while away. Which processor do people have and is the experience acceptable for processing a large number of images quickly?

Which processor would I need to get to get compatible results to my desktop?

I couldn't get on with Lightroom for iOS or Android - for the sharpness I'm looking for in my birding I found these cut down versions of Lightroom would not display the full original resolution during PP.

I would imagine one of the i5 (or even better, i7) Surface Pros would work fine. I hear of lots of people being happy with them as desktop replacements when used with a dock.

I also use a 2015 12" MB (1.2ghz) for editing on the go and actually I use it more and more despite having a powerful iMac upstairs. It is a little slow at times so I am thinking of getting a 2017 model which look to be sufficiently faster to be worth the switch. All that goes to show that LR doesn't actually need much power at all.

I looked at the surface pro and in the end went for the iPad Pro. Part of the reason was LR Mobile and CC. With the surface pro you would be using another full version of LR. Which you would then need to Export and Import to your desktop. With Mobile (which now supports the original resolution), both the iPad and desktop are automatically synced. If you want to move the images, simply drag them onto your desktop within LR.
With recent updates, Mobile is now quite powerful on its own.
In reality on holiday you will mainly to sorting, flagging and minor edits (crop etc). The screens aren't really designed for intensive PP due to size

Back