Does this work as an image?

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
Works for me, lovely light and super silhouette.(y)

A no from me but if you like it thats all that matters.

I like it, but to me it feels like it could have been even better if the bird had a bit more space. That is, a smaller figure punctuating an extremely vast, otherwise empty body of water.

As I say though, I still like it very much.

I agree that it needs more empty space around the bird, that I feel would increase the atmosphere of the shot, but I do like it Les, its definitely working for me (y)

Yep Les like it
Not sure what a few have mentioned about more space, are we talking headroom? The thing with that is the top of the photo is dark and that is my only slight niggle that its head is getting a bit lost and if it were cropped to increase headroom then it would just be a dark area

It might work even better if you cropped some of the dark area off the top, still leaving the reflections and ripples but making a symetrical composition of the cormorant and its reflection. Not much you can do about size or 'headroom' when the bank gets in the way!

So by 'headroom', I would have thought it better to describe as a slightly higher viewing angle to gain more of the lighter 'yellow water'.

Thanks Guys comments appreciated, shot at the 150 mm end of my Tamron 150-600 mm

Not much I could do about Headroom I'm afraid

Here's a portrait shot including the far bank and Reeds

DSC02065 by lesmoxonphotography, on Flickr

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the placing of the bird in the frame that is the key thing here, I think.
If there was a little more water showing to the right, that would place the subject firmly in the left third of the frame, allowing a little more room for the bird to 'look into'.

The portrait format simply doesn't work - not for me anyway.

It's refreshing to see some more creative and evocative bird photography images posted here!

The first posted landscape format image most definitely works for me. I like it very much and it's a great example of why bird photography need not be always about a beautifully lit bird on a stick with no background environment detail and very suitable for publication in a species guide book. < I like that style too but you need not make any excuses whatsoever for shooting evocative images.

The second portrait format image is too much of a narrow vertical slot and is also too brown and not enough golden.

My attempt at the same type of evocative image: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/stealth-in-the-sunset-little-egret.578014/

All in my not so humble opinion :)

Last edited:
It's refreshing to see some more creative and evocative bird photography images posted here!

The first posted landscape format image most definitely works for me. I like it very much and it's a great example of why bird photography need not be always about a beautifully lit bird on a stick with no background environment detail and very suitable for publication in a species guide book. < I like that style too but you need not make any excuses whatsoever for shooting evocative images.

The second portrait format image is too much of a narrow vertical slot and is also too brown and not enough golden.

My attempt at the same type of evocative image: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/stealth-in-the-sunset-little-egret.578014/

All in my not so humble opinion :)

Many thanks for the comments- I prefer the landscape shot- the portrait image I am not really keen on if I'm being 100% honest

I like it... I like it a lot!

Thank you Bethy- appreciate your comments

Les

Back