Does this work?

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
In two minds about this one - took a quick pic as we were leaving our friends' house (juggling reflector and camera). Looking back now, wish I'd had a bit longer to get the shot I wanted in my mind's eye. I very much think this will be a revisited shot the next time I visit!

Only had my newly acquired 85mm f1.8 so was trying it out a bit more. Unusual for me these days, all natural light.

All comments/crit welcomed.

Wish I'd moved the picture camera right and also that i'd stretched a bit further back so I didn't crop the feet. maybe propping up the reflector would have helped a lot too (or having a voice activated reflector stand!) - looking at the light reflected back to the legs/face.

Eva's Window by Sir SR, on Flickr

thanks for looking

Shaheed

Last edited:
Works for me.

I know what you mean about the feet and photo frame but I don't think the her parents notice them at all.

Saw this on Flickr... I really like this. Wonderfully exposed. Just to echo yours and Adam's sentiments about the feet and frame - not likely to be noticed by most, especially the parents. It's only photographers that pick up on these things. :) It would have niggled me too, but I think you can probably get away with it.

Its a nice picture, I think you will get away with cutting the feet as the light in the window surrounding the face pushes your eyes towards the centre of the picture.

It's a lovely place for a photo, I like the backlighting and you've got a good balance to stop the windows blowing out. The girl As you said I would have framed it lower to have less above her head and got her feet in and ideally lost the photo in the bottom right of the frame. I'm not to keen on the uplighting from the reflector on her face however, lighting is always a personal choice but I find the shadows under her eyes and on the top of her cheeks a bit unflattering.

Shaheed, my instant reaction to this shot was totally positive. Lovely capture.

I agree with you re feet crop. Picture (right of camera) doesn't bother me at all :)

I would possibly tone down the exposure on her face a tad.

It's a lovely picture.

Beautiful balance between foreground and background light levels. Great b/w conversion. However...

The half cropped feet and picture would bother me as well, but then I'm mildly OCD about such stuff; regardless, they don't detract from the overall image.

Sadly, what does kill it for me is the uplighting. It's rarely a good look to have shadows on top of your subject's cheeks, and there's virtually no differentiation between her chin and neck. These could be reduced by further post-processing, but chalk it up to experience and position your reflector in a better position next time.

All that is photographers' crit, ultimately you have a lovely picture.

It's also nice to see something different from your more usual clam-shell lighting, which you've refined well enough, it's time to add more strings to your bow.

Good stuff.

It's a lovely picture.

Beautiful balance between foreground and background light levels. Great b/w conversion. However...

The half cropped feet and picture would bother me as well, but then I'm mildly OCD about such stuff; regardless, they don't detract from the overall image.

Sadly, what does kill it for me is the uplighting. It's rarely a good look to have shadows on top of your subject's cheeks, and there's virtually no differentiation between her chin and neck. These could be reduced by further post-processing, but chalk it up to experience and position your reflector in a better position next time.

All that is photographers' crit, ultimately you have a lovely picture.

It's also nice to see something different from your more usual clam-shell lighting, which you've refined well enough, it's time to add more strings to your bow.

Good stuff.

This is where I'm at!

I think I knew I wasn't happy with the reflector position, ideally wanted it a lot higher but it was the only position I could rest it in[emoji17] Probably why I started this thread as I could see it had potential but wasn't right and I will hopefully reshoot. Might take a portable softbox next time. Or some means of holding the reflector.

Cheers

S

Shaheed, my instant reaction to this shot was totally positive. Lovely capture.

I agree with you re feet crop. Picture (right of camera) doesn't bother me at all :)

I would possibly tone down the exposure on her face a tad.

Might try that re the exposure!

Cheers

S

It's a lovely place for a photo, I like the backlighting and you've got a good balance to stop the windows blowing out. The girl As you said I would have framed it lower to have less above her head and got her feet in and ideally lost the photo in the bottom right of the frame. I'm not to keen on the uplighting from the reflector on her face however, lighting is always a personal choice but I find the shadows under her eyes and on the top of her cheeks a bit unflattering.

Agreed about the reflector. I will hopefully have another go when I visit again!

Onthe face of it, it's a cracking shot, it has its problems, as you know, but that's just for 'us'. Whilst we strive to improve, we should avoid being disappointed in shots that most people would see as fantastic.

Onthe face of it, it's a cracking shot, it has its problems, as you know, but that's just for 'us'. Whilst we strive to improve, we should avoid being disappointed in shots that most people would see as fantastic.

Agreed but I am disappointed as this could hAve been a special pic. Next time!!

I agree this is a good image and better than I could do. However you do say ...

'All comments/crit welcomed'
So .... I think the main area for improvement is the white window frames. For me they are too bright and draw attention away from the main subject. But I repeat - it is better than I could do.

Yep.. it works. Cute.. has something innocent about it. It has a whiff of nostalgia to give it a broad appeal. I thin kit could be processed better... something "stretched" about the mid to highlight range I can't quite pin down. That's irrelevant though. yes, it works.

As echoed above really. I really like the shot, nicely back lighting without being blown out, great detail in the background for a back-lit shot.

My main issue is the shadows under the eyes, those elephant/s and the picture frame camera right. My eye is drawn to them for some reason, bit cluttered maybe? I think you could dodge the shadows under the eyes to soften them a bit though. As shes quite central in the frame i think if you were to shoot this again i would balance the left side bowl with another one (if there is one) on the right hand side thus getting rid of those elephants,lol. It would balance it out for for me, but that just my opinion.

Please don't take offence to any crit, as like i said its a great shot and i'm just thinking how it could be even better :)

Works for me, parents will be happy.
Niggles happen, but the moment has been captured. It's very difficult to revisit a shot with kids at that age.

Thank you all for your comments. Long day at t'office and now home.

Firstly, I posted for crit, so am in no way offended by any comments. It's the only way to get better - I'll take on board all the comments and try better next time!

Secondly thanks for all the feedback. Really appreciate it.

S

Hiya.

You did well here with the quick edit. Cool image fella. I take on board everything that as been said above too and I get this is a photograghy forum so only keen photographers are giving crit.
That said there is no getting away from the fact this is a great image that works, you don't have to study it and wonder, it just does unfortunatly I am not clever/arty enough for any technical feedback. The new version is much improved by the work you have done.

Gaz

Hiya.

You did well here with the quick edit. Cool image fella. I take on board everything that as been said above too and I get this is a photograghy forum so only keen photographers are giving crit.
That said there is no getting away from the fact this is a great image that works, you don't have to study it and wonder, it just does unfortunatly I am not clever/arty enough for any technical feedback. The new version is much improved by the work you have done.

Gaz

Cheers Gaz for your kind words!!

S

its a nice photo, lovely composition for me. Love the window really does make a great backdrop. Even the sides have lovely shading. Tad dark around the eyes if i wanted to be critical with it. But all the same lovely photo and i bet the family like it.

its a nice photo, lovely composition for me. Love the window really does make a great backdrop. Even the sides have lovely shading. Tad dark around the eyes if i wanted to be critical with it. But all the same lovely photo and i bet the family like it.

It's strange. I've been to this house regularly and I've only just noticed how great a spot it is. Admittedly work has been done in the house over the years!

The lighting isn't as I would have liked but as this is a really good friends house who we regularly visit, I'll try again at some stage. But that last edit is trying to rescue it - no substitute for getting it right at the time!!

Shaheed,

The edit has certainly helped, but without doubt its a great shot and she has a fab cute smile.

I can see your friend finding you taking up residence in front of this window when you next visit.

Shaheed,

The edit has certainly helped, but without doubt its a great shot and she has a fab cute smile.

I can see your friend finding you taking up residence in front of this window when you next visit.

In fairness they have a (listed) chocolate box thatched cottage.

The more I think on it, the more locations they have in their lovely house!

Just glad to have started taking more pics again to he honest!

Back