Does this work?

Yes, it works for me. The dark background makes the tree silhouettes stand out. The tones in the sky are just right - not too overdone.

Chris

Works for me, a real nice range of colour/light going up and across the image, althpugh I may have cropped the sky down a bit to give it a letterbox aspect (I might take almost 1/3rd off the top to just above the heavy clouds on the left) ... like this:

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Yes, it works for me. The dark background makes the tree silhouettes stand out. The tones in the sky are just right - not too overdone.

Chris
Thanks Foxbat, yeah the more I look the more I think the dark is ok. Did try it a lot lighter but it seemed to lose the mood.

Works for me, a real nice range of colour/light going up and across the image, althpugh I may have cropped the sky down a bit to give it a letterbox aspect (I might take almost 1/3rd off the top to just above the heavy clouds on the left) ... like this:

Just a thought.
Hi FlyPhot thanks, yes I like that. But I also like a lot of sky, lol.

having looked at the Exif to work out why the clouds look blurred which is probably forum resizing. You made some strange settings choices why ISO 1250 to get 1/2000 sec at 70mm?

The sky is too dark IMO as the histogram is way short of the the right and of anything near white let alone highlights.

having looked at the Exif to work out why the clouds look blurred which is probably forum resizing. You made some strange settings choices why ISO 1250 to get 1/2000 sec at 70mm?

Not the faintest idea why. But imo the shot didn’t come out too bad, lol.

The sky is too dark IMO as the histogram is way short of the the right and of anything near white let alone highlights.

I think the sky is very pleasing to the eye, I don’t tend to bother with histograms etc. Maybe I should, who knows, overall I am happy with the pic. Thanks anyway for your input.

I think the sky is very pleasing to the eye, I don’t tend to bother with histograms etc. Maybe I should, who knows, overall I am happy with the pic. Thanks anyway for your input.
I took some shots in Skye last week which could be considered too dark.
I liked them, and found when I altered them using the "correct" histogram settings they lost a lot of the atmosphere, so i only altered them slightly.
As has been shown here, everyone likes different things.
It's your image, and at the end of the day, it's only really what you think that matters.....however, sometimes someone will suggest an alteration to the composition by way of cropping which may actually improve the image considerably.
This was certainly the case on my image of Eilean Donan castle when @SFTPhotography suggested a slight alteration that made a big difference.

I took some shots in Skye last week which could be considered too dark.
I liked them, and found when I altered them using the "correct" histogram settings they lost a lot of the atmosphere, so i only altered them slightly.
As has been shown here, everyone likes different things.
It's your image, and at the end of the day, it's only really what you think that matters.....however, sometimes someone will suggest an alteration to the composition by way of cropping which may actually improve the image considerably.
This was certainly the case on my image of Eilean Donan castle when @SFTPhotography suggested a slight alteration that made a big difference.

Absolutely agree with you. I think anyone can make suggestions as to how the pic can look different/better. End of the day it is as you say what you like. This is what I saw I believe looking through the camera.

I could of course change it in such a way that it looks completely different to what I saw. That’s not my thing. Don’t mind a bit of cropping etc . Thanks for your input I appreciate it.

Back