Dog Agility Photography

Name
Neal
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all have tried a stab at dog agility photography. What are your thoughts? I seem to be struggling with my camera and the Autofocus. Doesnt seem to be catching the focus sharp enough. Using a Nikon D750 with an older Tamron 200-500 and a cheaper Sigma 70-300. Open to critique, thats what the forum is for. TIA Guys!Chloe15-10-20 WM-1(1).jpgMad Dogs 13-10-20WM-19(1).jpgChloe and Emma-71(1).jpgMad Dogs 15-09-20 WM-18(1).jpg

Any feedback from anyone or ideas why the auto focus isn't quite as sharp as it should be?

What sort of settings did you use ? some camera autofocus systems struggle with the subject moving straight toward the photographer but seem ok when moving across i.e. like from left to right etc

I am using continuous and have tried the 3d tracking and also single point. I find the camera is slow catching up and refocusing. is it my lenses?

Some will be your lens choice, some your camera and some your technique.....

This sort of photography is really demanding on any af systems. Not only are the dogs fast moving, but they are small targets too!

There are a few ways to get better results with your existing gear. One would be to pre-focus - such as on the post in shot 3 or a little behind it and use the burst mode to capture the dogs as they make their way through the exercise.

That said, I am not familiar with either of your lenses, however if I were to shot this type of event, I'd be looking for an AF-S 70-200, ideally the FL and if budget allowed, a D500 at minimum. I think the D750 should be able to keep up with the dogs, but you're going to need a reasonably fast lens and good technique to get these nailed.

older Tamron 200-500 and a cheaper Sigma 70-300

When you list your lens choice as older and cheaper it should give you a clue..

Tel us your settings that's the only way we can help..

I generally use aperture priority and auto iso to get the faster s/speed I can. I have tried using shutter priority and ramping up the speed however I find image quality really goes down the drain then. I have done the pre focusing on approx where the dog will cross and then burst when I see it coming in my peripheral vision. also tried panning with continuous auto focus.

What shutter speed are you getting ?
I agree with Kipax, your lenses are some of the problem

If you're pre focussing and spray & praying you should at least get some shots in focus.

I used to pre focus at Brands Hatch for motorsport in film days and managed it ok.

It does take a lot of practice though.

looks like on AP about 500th down to 200th. I think the iso is maybe keeping the ss low. might have to ditch auto iso and fo on manual settings moreso. Will have to try a different lens too. the 70-200 2.8 seems a popular choice

ok first of i would never reccomend pre focus for dog agility

you need to be faster than 200-500 shutter.. i would be looking at 1000th at a starting point and outdoors as yours seem to be in that light you should be getting a lot higher... thse dogs move at a decent speed and you need a decent shutter speed to capture them..

where you focus is important.. if your at f2.8 and shooting at the dogs nose everyhtign will look out.. you have to try for the face and you will be pushed using pre focus..

without the full exif and without knowing what light your in its hard to give actual setttings

what fstop are you using with those low shutter speeds on a nice day?

Ok I am not a dog photographer- however_ I do shoot wildlife and birds are pretty quick- I always use a min of f8 and at least 1/2000th of a second auto ISO

This @ f8 1/2000th sec auto ISO

DSC02713 Canada Goose by Les Moxon, on Flickr

This one I wanted to freeze the water spray - f8 @ 1/3200th sec - I use manual settings and center point AF

DSC05466 Tern fishing by Les Moxon, on Flickr

My advice high shutter speed always for animals etc

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
why the auto focus isn't quite as sharp as it should be?

It looks as though you're shooting with a wide aperture. Stop down a little to give your AF a better chance & improve your keeper rate. When I used to shoot flyball this made a huge difference, I used a d750 to.

I do like these - they make it look lots of fun

FWIW.
When life was simple I used to pre focus on a point and see if my reactions were up to par.
Surprisingly I could cover quite a few points on a course/circuit at 5 second intervals.
Pre focus, follow the target, click at the correct moment.
I can still do it on my clever camera!

Well today have tried to tweak the focus system. adjusting the focus tracking with af lock on. seems to have worked. also went full manual on f4.2 with 1000th s/s. have noticed an improvement. focus seems to be quicker on the tracking. it's a shame the D750 doesn't have the adjustment for irratic movement. when I get them on a monitor will know more for sure.

i would say buy some decent fast glass ie 70-200 f2.8 0r 120-300mm f2.8

My opinion is that the autofocus is actually spot on but you are suffering from motion blur, so plus one for finding a faster lens if you want to freeze the action. The third image looks like flare, unless you deliberately processed it that way? Do you use a lens hood?

Back