Dog Appreciation Thread, post your fave dog shots here...

Yesterday we lost our beautiful working cocker spaniel Jess.

There are many, many pictures on this thread of Jess throughout her 13 years, the one just above here was taken on her 13th birthday just 10 days ago.

Jess was still physically active and looking good but was suffering from 'doggy dementia' that until diagnosed we had no idea existed.

We managed the symptoms with vet described medication for a 6 months but we sadly watched her inevitable decline.

The high levels of anxiety she was increasingly suffering became too much and she was put to sleep at home in my arms.

A great pet, companion and an absolute joy she has been by our side for all her years.

Please forgive my indulgent thread, I appreciate many of you have experienced what we are feeling now.

This post is a small step in my grieving process.

As a final goodbye to this thread from Jess I will show a few of my favourite pictures of her.

1. Our puppy

i-fjPwcLz.jpg

2. Top of the stairs (with her companion for 10 years, Harris R.I.P)

i-HzKkPKf-XL.jpg

3. 2016 Admiring the view.

i-3XC8fXM-XL.jpg

4. Enjoying the sunset

i-gKBLnNb-XL.jpg

5. Classic spaniel pose.

i-gJWkDRp-XL.jpg

R.I.P Jess you were much loved and we will miss you.

There are many, many pictures on this thread of Jess throughout her 13 years, the one just above here was taken on her 13th birthday just 10 days ago.

Jess was still physically active and looking good but was suffering from 'doggy dementia' that until diagnosed we had no idea existed.

We managed the symptoms with vet described medication for a 6 months but we sadly watched her inevitable decline.

The high levels of anxiety she was increasingly suffering became too much and she was put to sleep at home in my arms.

A great pet, companion and an absolute joy she has been by our side for all her years.

Please forgive my indulgent thread, I appreciate many of you have experienced what we are feeling now.

As a final goodbye to this thread from Jess I will show a few of my favourite pictures of her.

1. Our puppy

i-fjPwcLz.jpg

i-HzKkPKf-XL.jpg

i-3XC8fXM-XL.jpg

4. Enjoying the sunset

i-gKBLnNb-XL.jpg

5. Classic spaniel pose.

i-gJWkDRp-XL.jpg

Beautiful pictures. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to lose a "pet". They're way more than that

1. Our puppy

i-fjPwcLz.jpg

i-HzKkPKf-XL.jpg

i-3XC8fXM-XL.jpg

4. Enjoying the sunset

i-gKBLnNb-XL.jpg

5. Classic spaniel pose.

i-gJWkDRp-XL.jpg

So sorry to hear the news about Jess. Lovely photos!

1. Our puppy

i-fjPwcLz.jpg

i-HzKkPKf-XL.jpg

i-3XC8fXM-XL.jpg

4. Enjoying the sunset

i-gKBLnNb-XL.jpg

5. Classic spaniel pose.

i-gJWkDRp-XL.jpg

So sorry to read this, Roy. As you know, my family has just gone through the same process less than two months ago and you have my deep sympathy. They bring so much love and joy and leave a huge gap behind, but hopefully many happy memories too. She was a beautiful dog and clearly very much loved.

1. Our puppy

i-fjPwcLz.jpg

i-HzKkPKf-XL.jpg

i-3XC8fXM-XL.jpg

4. Enjoying the sunset

i-gKBLnNb-XL.jpg

5. Classic spaniel pose.

i-gJWkDRp-XL.jpg

Ah man. Im so sorry. Its a horrible thing to happen. Beautiful pictures. X

Our friends dog Duke. He'd been sent to sit in the car for some reason so had a bit of grump on! The afternoon was wearing on so he was sitting in the shade but lit with some nice side light. Have processed this in colour as well but leaning towards this mono version.

Duke by Ian Taylor, on Flickr

1. Our puppy

i-fjPwcLz.jpg

i-HzKkPKf-XL.jpg

i-3XC8fXM-XL.jpg

4. Enjoying the sunset

i-gKBLnNb-XL.jpg

5. Classic spaniel pose.

i-gJWkDRp-XL.jpg

sorry for your loss Roy :(

1. Our puppy

i-fjPwcLz.jpg

i-HzKkPKf-XL.jpg

i-3XC8fXM-XL.jpg

4. Enjoying the sunset

i-gKBLnNb-XL.jpg

5. Classic spaniel pose.

i-gJWkDRp-XL.jpg

I lost both my Labradors fairly recently - only dog lovers understand the hurt suffered, however it helps to look back on all the fun times and what wonderful lives you provided for them; your pictures are fantastic and will provide fond memories of the dogs you loved, and they loved, so much. :-(

I lost both my Labradors fairly recently - only dog lovers understand the hurt suffered, however it helps to look back on all the fun times and what wonderful lives you provided for them; your pictures are fantastic and will provide fond memories of the dogs you loved, and they loved, so much. :-(

Many thanks for your kind and thoughtful words.

One of my favourite shots of my now old Alaskan Shepherd on Powfoot beach in Dumfries and Galloway. This was taken back in 2010 using my daughters first camera, a very basic Kodak C613 with a grand total of 6.2MP :), hence the slight softness.

100_1616 1 by Lee Turner, on Flickr

.... and the old boy more recently

DSC05089 by Lee Turner, on Flickr

Last edited:
This is Cassie, born on the streets in Malta, rescued by our youngest son when she just six months, brought over here, aged 8, when he moved back to the UK. Now living with us for 3 years. A great companion and my slimming machine - I have lost 2.5 stone since we've had her. She is officially a cross between a whippet and (Maltese) pointer. However, I can't find anything anywhere on the web about Maltese pointers Anybody any ideas?

Cassie_s.jpg

Taken in Tuesday's brief sunny interval.

Cheers,

Howard

This is Cassie, born on the streets in Malta, rescued by our youngest son when she just six months, brought over here, aged 8, when he moved back to the UK. Now living with us for 3 years. A great companion and my slimming machine - I have lost 2.5 stone since we've had her. She is officially a cross between a whippet and (Maltese) pointer. However, I can't find anything anywhere on the web about Maltese pointers Anybody any ideas?

View attachment 123683

Taken in Tuesday's brief sunny interval.

Cheers,

Howard

The Kennel Club does list various Pointer breeds so I wonder if a Maltese Pointer is a crossbreed between two pointers.

The colouring looks like a few different types including English but the broad chest is sort of like the Portuguese Pointer.

Link here https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/search-results?q=Pointer

The Kennel Club does list various Pointer breeds so I wonder if a Maltese Pointer is a crossbreed between two pointers.

The colouring looks like a few different types including English but the broad chest is sort of like the Portuguese Pointer.

Link here https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/search-results?q=Pointer

Thanks very much for this, I looked through their website but can't find anything relevant, but it doesn't matter to us.

Cheers,

Howard

On the previous page I posted about the recent loss of our much loved spaniel Jess. Thanks again to everyone who had kind words for me.

After time spent grieving we now feel it is time to enjoy the company of another dog.

It is difficult to explain (to non doggy people) what a huge 'space' is left in the house after being with dogs for many years.

Mindful of our age and after some 'difficult' conversations we didn't think it 'right' to bring a puppy or very young dog into our lives.

The thought of a very young dog outliving us and having to be rehomed in middle/old age sat very uncomfortable with us.

Yesterday we visited the RSPCA centre and agreed to adopt a 'senior' dog that the RSPCA had removed from the owner.

'Lady' is a 9 year old Beagle who appears to have 'escaped' her former life with minimal lasting effect, I guess only time will tell ?

We spent time with her yesterday and will visit more times while the RSPCA do their checks and arrange a home visit to ensure we are suitable.

Here are a couple of snaps I took yesterday when we first met her.

Lady

i-xzVwqhC.jpg

i-cFznX87.jpg

Back