Dog Appreciation Thread, post your fave dog shots here...

On the previous page I posted about the recent loss of our much loved spaniel Jess. Thanks again to everyone who had kind words for me.

After time spent grieving we now feel it is time to enjoy the company of another dog.

It is difficult to explain (to non doggy people) what a huge 'space' is left in the house after being with dogs for many years.

Mindful of our age and after some 'difficult' conversations we didn't think it 'right' to bring a puppy or very young dog into our lives.

The thought of a very young dog outliving us and having to be rehomed in middle/old age sat very uncomfortable with us.

Yesterday we visited the RSPCA centre and agreed to adopt a 'senior' dog that the RSPCA had removed from the owner.

'Lady' is a 9 year old Beagle who appears to have 'escaped' her former life with minimal lasting effect, I guess only time will tell ?

We spent time with her yesterday and will visit more times while the RSPCA do their checks and arrange a home visit to ensure we are suitable.

Here are a couple of snaps I took yesterday when we first met her.

Lady

i-xzVwqhC.jpg

i-cFznX87.jpg

She looks lovely, Roy, and you have clearly given this a lot of thought and come to a good decision for both you and Lady. It's great that you are giving a fresh start to an older dog (y)

I understand exactly what you are going through as we had to say goodbye to our Abbey just a little while before you lost Jess, and last week we welcomed a new doggy into the family. No photos yet as she's been running me ragged and I haven't had a chance to get them off the camera, but hopefully I'll have something to share tomorrow.

Looking forward to to seeing your new addition Andrea.

A couple of snaps of our new doggy. She is 4-5 months old and, as you can see from the length of those legs, she has some growing to do!

Long Legs
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

We weren't intending to get a young dog and planned to get an older rescue when we were ready, but when I saw photos of this little girl I fell in love. She's come from Romania, where she was dumped along with her siblings at about four weeks old, but they were luckier than many in that country because they were dumped in the yard of a lady who looked after them until they were ready to leave under the care of Amicii Dog Rescue. We've had her a week now and she's keeping me very busy :)

Wise Eyes

Beautiful dog Andrea, I wish you many happy years with your new companion.

Andrea, she reminds me of our Boxer/Border Collie. Looks BC colour patterns but with a broad face and broad/deep chest and shoulders. Hope she settles in well and you have many adventures together! Does she have a name?

Beautiful dog Andrea, I wish you many happy years with your new companion.

Thanks Roy, and you too.

Andrea, she reminds me of our Boxer/Border Collie. Looks BC colour patterns but with a broad face and broad/deep chest and shoulders. Hope she settles in well and you have many adventures together! Does she have a name?

Thanks Beth, and that's an interesting theory. Nothing is known of her parentage but one of her siblings was a big furry brown and white boy, while the other two have the same coat and markings as ours although one has short legs, so there's a real mix! She has some Border Collie characteristics but we are sure there is something big/stocky in there too because of her legs and broad head and chest. It will definitely be interesting to see how she develops :)

Her name? She was given the name 'Wilma' in Romania (her siblings are Wilfred, Wilson and Willow) and although we intended to change it, because it reminds us of The Flintstones and we couldn't imagine calling a dog Wilma, it has kinda stuck and seems to suit her :D

Here is her first sunset on our local beach, although she was more interested in the waves as they got closer to her paws!

Puppy's First Sunset

Last edited:
Wilma is a nice name. We've largely kept the names we got from the rescue but Jake became Jack as it was the name of the previous dog, and Jack the lad suits him better. Our first, the Boxer/Border Collie loved the sea and waves. She'd run along the shore barking and snapping at the waves.

This is Cassie, born on the streets in Malta, rescued by our youngest son when she just six months, brought over here, aged 8, when he moved back to the UK. Now living with us for 3 years. A great companion and my slimming machine - I have lost 2.5 stone since we've had her. She is officially a cross between a whippet and (Maltese) pointer. However, I can't find anything anywhere on the web about Maltese pointers Anybody any ideas

Howard
A lot of these “cross between x an y” descriptions are just guesses from appearance. My first thought was of the Pharoah Hound which is the Maltese rabbit dog but yours does not look anything like that! However when I looked at the Pharoah Hound Wiki page to see if there was any reference to hunting birds there is a reference to “Kelb tal-Kaċċa ("hunting dog", a breed used for bird hunting)“. This Kelb tal-Kaċċa has recently been accepted as an FCI breed, see export at https://www.timesofmalta.com/articl...l-kacca-is-indigenous-fknk-study-shows.574554
It has a houndy/pointery appearance and could plausibly fit into your dogs ancestry.

I posted earlier on this page that after losing our dog Jess we were adopting a rescue dog.

Well Sadie (nee Lady) new life new name, has been with us a week tomorrow.

She is the most gentle loving little dog (Beagle) albeit with no manners !

According to the RSPCA she has been nothing more than a 'puppy factory' and was being kept in a small cupboard when they rescued her.

She has had little (or more likely) no training, hence the phrase 'no manners' and we are having to toilet train her as well.

She was initially very spooked by sudden noises or movements by hand or feet that lead us to believe she has been beaten and kicked ?

In 6 days she has never barked or growled not once, completely silent except for a muted whine now and again, the meaning of which we have no clue.

Has she been punished for barking and has learnt to be silent ?

I hope this does not sound like we regret the adoption ? far from it she loves our company and likes nothing better than a cuddle on our knee.

We have already noticed her being more confident and she is eating better, we love her to bits already.

A picture to finish with.

Sadie 'chilled' (venetian effect))

i-ZfghvhF.jpg

Wilma has been with us for almost four weeks now and she's growing so fast! She's all legs and tail at the moment, and when she grows into them we think she will be a big dog.

Black and White Pup by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Bless you @badlywornroy for giving her a fresh start. Sometimes you wish they could talk and tell you what they have been through. I'm sure in a few weeks she will have settled in even more and will seem like a different dog.

Thanks for those kind words Andrea.

However I’m not sure I want to know too much about her former life, I may lose even more faith in my fellow humans

Thanks for those kind words Andrea.

However I’m not sure I want to know too much about her former life, I may lose even more faith in my fellow humans

Very true; I almost added "But it's probably best that they can't tell us" because, like you, I find it hard to stomach the casual cruelty that surrounds us. Wilma and her siblings were dumped in a sack at the age of four weeks so she's lucky to be alive.

Kudos to you Andrea for rescuing Wilma and giving her a new start in life.

A couple of snaps of our new doggy. She is 4-5 months old and, as you can see from the length of those legs, she has some growing to do!

Long Legs

We weren't intending to get a young dog and planned to get an older rescue when we were ready, but when I saw photos of this little girl I fell in love. She's come from Romania, where she was dumped along with her siblings at about four weeks old, but they were luckier than many in that country because they were dumped in the yard of a lady who looked after them until they were ready to leave under the care of Amicii Dog Rescue. We've had her a week now and she's keeping me very busy :)

Wise Eyes

Great shots Andrea and a lovely story.

On the previous page I posted about the recent loss of our much loved spaniel Jess. Thanks again to everyone who had kind words for me.

After time spent grieving we now feel it is time to enjoy the company of another dog.

It is difficult to explain (to non doggy people) what a huge 'space' is left in the house after being with dogs for many years.

Mindful of our age and after some 'difficult' conversations we didn't think it 'right' to bring a puppy or very young dog into our lives.

The thought of a very young dog outliving us and having to be rehomed in middle/old age sat very uncomfortable with us.

Yesterday we visited the RSPCA centre and agreed to adopt a 'senior' dog that the RSPCA had removed from the owner.

'Lady' is a 9 year old Beagle who appears to have 'escaped' her former life with minimal lasting effect, I guess only time will tell ?

We spent time with her yesterday and will visit more times while the RSPCA do their checks and arrange a home visit to ensure we are suitable.

Here are a couple of snaps I took yesterday when we first met her.

Sorry to hear about Jess but glad to hear you have another member of the family - she is lovely.

Also think you have done the right thing in going for a rescue dog not only for the reasons you mentioned but also because there are so many dogs that need rehoming.

Dave

In 6 days she has never barked or growled not once, completely silent except for a muted whine now and again, the meaning of which we have no clue.

Has she been punished for barking and has learnt to be silent ?

She looks lovely and well done for going down the rescue route, we did the same with our Collie, it's nice to give them a loving safe home.

My sons Black Lab has been with us for almost 2 years and in that time I've only ever heard her bark twice, my wife has never heard her, so I think that Sadie not barking isn't a problem. By coincidence her lack of barking was brought up in a conversation with the vet, when she went for her booster on Saturday, and he said it was nothing to worry about as some dogs just aren't as verbal as others.

_DSC8002 crop by Roll, on Flickr

Sorry to hear about Jess but glad to hear you have another member of the family - she is lovely.

Also think you have done the right thing in going for a rescue dog not only for the reasons you mentioned but also because there are so many dogs that need rehoming.

Dave

Thanks everyone for your continuing kind words. Sadie our 'rescue' beagle is settling in really well (3 weeks today) RSPCA told us she was 9 but i have my doubts she is that old ?

Here is a video my wife took which sort of proves she remembers how to have a good time.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=ZWtCbDZXeUpxMjlJRC1qaHVGdmJNWkN4N1hCQW5n

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your continuing kind words. Sadie our 'rescue' beagle is settling in really well (3 weeks today) RSPCA told us she was 9 but i have my doubts she is that old ?

Here is a video my wife took which sort of proves she remembers how to have a good time.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=ZWtCbDZXeUpxMjlJRC1qaHVGdmJNWkN4N1hCQW5n

That's wonderful to see her having so much fun! It looks as though she is settling in with you very well - she probably can't believe her luck :)

Well she certainly seems to be getting over her previous life and she’s found her voice as well, a lovely video to see knowing a bit of her history :)

Well she certainly seems to be getting over her previous life and she’s found her voice as well, a lovely video to see knowing a bit of her history :)

Yes, I wasn't too concerned about her silence but it is nice to hear she 'has a voice' and is not afraid to use it.

A couple of recent pics of our old girl, this is about as energetic as she gets these days most of the time ;)

DSC_7756
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_7768 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Back