Dog Food

Name
Jak
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, our Norfolk terrier has been raised on Royal Canin dry dog food, and he looks well on it.

But he has plaque and it's a full time job to keep his teeth clean, I wonder if the Royal Canin dog food is not helping matters?

Does anyone out there have a similar experience and can recommend a clean alternative feed we can give him?

We had our dog on dry food for years, but plaque did build up pretty quick. We tried Bakers at first, and various other brands. She did have Denta stix to try and help, but I don't think they did any good.

Try 'Plaque Off'. It's a powder made from seaweed. You sprinkle a little over the pooch's food. It worked quite well for our SBT. Didn't get rid of it completely but he was getting on a bit when we started it. Certainly helped though.

AL

Hi all, our Norfolk terrier has been raised on Royal Canin dry dog food, and he looks well on it.

But he has plaque and it's a full time job to keep his teeth clean, I wonder if the Royal Canin dog food is not helping matters?

Does anyone out there have a similar experience and can recommend a clean alternative feed we can give him?

Have to say I’ve recently spent a lot of time looking at dog food.

Royal canin is what your new puppy cane bring fed on and as soon as I could I changed.
It’s expensive and is actually one of the worse for just being full of fillers with no actual meat content. The nutritional value is extremely low.

Allaboutdogfood website breaks down all the foods and is good a good starting point for finding better food.

If you want the best food and best for cleaning teeth then a raw diet is best. ( and cheaper)

Sadly my wife will not agree to this so I’m stuck with a dry diet for our dog.
If you want better dry food look at the cold pressed ones guru/ gentle etc they may seem as or more expensive but you feed less per portion.

Similarly do not feed your dog these denta stix they are just full of crap and nasty chemicals.

Frozen carrots, antlers and yak chews will offer cleaning as good and are far better for your dog.
Daily brushing also.

For plaque that’s already built up I’m not sure consult your vet about that

Last edited:
I have seen dog toothpaste, and it claims to remove plaque. They don't seem to have got a toothpaste that removes plaque from humans teeth yet, so hardly believe the dog toothpaste claims.

I never managed to get my dog to accept a toothbrush. My sister in law, however, just had to show her Doberman a toothbrush and he opened his mouth waiting for his teeth to be brushed!

Many thanks for the responses :)

We do brush his teeth each day, and he gets antlers on occasion. Interesting to read about the 'Plaque Off'. defo give that a try.

Our crossed red fell has tinned Chappie and shapes in the morning and Harringtons or sometimes Crave dry food at night and his teeth are fine.

Dave

Try 'Plaque Off'. It's a powder made from seaweed. You sprinkle a little over the pooch's food. It worked quite well for our SBT. Didn't get rid of it completely but he was getting on a bit when we started it. Certainly helped though.

AL
:agree: Have used it with both out dogs and they often get complimented on their teeth.
It's quite expensive but it lasts for ages.

Have to say I’ve recently spent a lot of time looking at dog food.

Royal canin is what your new puppy cane bring fed on and as soon as I could I changed.
It’s expensive and is actually one of the worse for just being full of fillers with no actual meat content. The nutritional value is extremely low.

Allaboutdogfood website breaks down all the foods and is good a good starting point for finding better food.

If you want the best food and best for cleaning teeth then a raw diet is best. ( and cheaper)

Sadly my wife will not agree to this so I’m stuck with a dry diet for our dog.
If you want better dry food look at the cold pressed ones guru/ gentle etc they may seem as or more expensive but you feed less per portion.

Similarly do not feed your dog these denta stix they are just full of crap and nasty chemicals.

Frozen carrots, antlers and yak chews will offer cleaning as good and are far better for your dog.
Daily brushing also.

For plaque that’s already built up I’m not sure consult your vet about that
Not everyone agrees raw food is best for dogs.

I feed my dog Naturo wet dog food and Harringtons dried. What I like about Naturo is that it pretty much lists the contents 100%. Of course that info doesn't help the OP :)

Last edited:
Give meaty bones a couple of times a week. Make them size appropriate and most importantly not cooked. Uncooked bones don't splinter like cooked ones do. He'll love you and his teeth will be cleaned

Back