Dom's 52-21- A year older, but none the wiser. Wk: 36 Unnatural

Heh, this made me smile. I spent some time wondering which one was Olivia Newton John though...

I like that, but probably wouldn't have gone for a portrait crop myself.

Really good that and i think the portrait format gives it depth.

Nothing wrong with the portrait crop, have never sliced garlic in that way before it’s quite fascinating

I was the same for the half theme and yet so many people came up with some great ideas.

I really like the lighting and I think it's different because you have chopped it across. I like the diagonal composition and portrait crop - again all makes it different.

I like the portrait format and the composition. Same as Allan.. I've never seen garlic chopped that way before.

Very nicely presented Dom (y)

Your shot for half is fascinating Dominic. I have never seen garlic chopped in that way. A close in shot would make a great abstract, good work.
I like your reflection shot too, have you tried it in portrait orientation?
A clean, well lit shot, again, good work.

Yep - it's a belter is that :)

Nice line up of daffodils maybe a small amount off the right, nicely lit.

Garlic ... must be pretty fresh and cut with a very sharp knife. A lovely image with all the rusticness you do so well.

Daffodils ... the light in the reflected bit is amazing.

A lovely clean image that manages to be seasonal too! Is it low key? I do like the subdued lighting and can't help but wonder what it would look like rotated to be vertical.

Excellent shot... so crisp and perfect reflections. I like that you've chosen three... my garden landscaper told me to always plant in odd numbers... so it always threes and fives at the garden centre :)

Half
Interesting composition, who knew garlic looked like that!

Reflection
Nice sharp image, personally see the image stronger if the stems come in from left too, having it only on the right make it unbalanced, to me anyway.

Also prefer colour version. I think this has really delivered the theme well and the composition and placement of your items is really well done. The OCD in me would like to see the whateveritis rotated a little so that at least one bit of text was level but that's being really pedantic.

I love it. One of the best of the week for me.

Colour for me Dom, very nicely presented (y)

The colour works so much better than the B+W a fine collection of rough objects

a nice array of rough tools, laid out diagonally on the boards. In colour ... (y)

Yep - nicely done. Colour for me as they are but true black and white would have worked too I think.

Colour here too for the rusty finish which adds to the "roughness". A very pleasing arrangement of tools.

I really like the colour version - lovely warm tones and you can really see the rusty textures. Nicely laid out, and the diagonals on the background really work.

I have to ask, as this is my new thing to play with - how did you light it? One large softbox quite close? Is it camera flash, or did your get some studio lights also?

Yes. the colour is much better. That is certainly a lot of rough.

I have to ask, as this is my new thing to play with - how did you light it? One large softbox quite close? Is it camera flash, or did your get some studio lights also?

This happened to be one of the times I didn't take a photo of the set up, as it was a quick shot on the kitchen table (the background isn't my table top, it's one of my many cut up doors, gates etc that I use)

I had a softbox (80x80) directly to the right, above and angled down as far as I could go (a bit like your peppers shot). The center of the softbox was about 2'-2'6" away. Because of the angle of the lighting, there was quite a sharp drop off of light on the left-hand side (which I knew would happen, but wasn't to worried about). I also wanted darkish shadows cast from the tools to give a bit of grounding.
I find myself looking at other people's photos, trying to workout how they have lit them. I look at the shadows, it's a good way to see where the key light is coming from.
I've also found that lighting from a slightly behind angle, using large reflectors to bounce some light back works well.
I'm still using my Yongnuo speedlights. I need to sell some bits and pieces to raise some funds. We've had a nightmare with car issues since the new year, which has eaten into any spare funds we have. So I'll just have to wait a little while longer :confused:

Last edited:
This happened to be one of the times I didn't take a photo of the set up, as it was a quick shot on the kitchen table (the background isn't my table top, it's one of my many cut up doors, gates etc that I use)

I had a softbox (80x80) directly to the right, above and angled down as far as I could go (a bit like your peppers shot). The center of the softbox was about 2'-2'6" away. Because of the angle of the lighting, there was quite a sharp drop off of light on the left-hand side (which I need would happen, but wasn't to worried about). I also wanted darkish shadows cast from the tools to give a bit of grounding.
I find myself looking at other people's photos, trying to workout how they have lit them. I look at the shadows, it's a good way to see where the key light is coming from.
I've also found that lighting from a slightly behind angle, using large reflectors to bounce some light back works well.
I'm still using my Yongnuo speedlights. I need to sell some bits and pieces to raise some funds. We've had a nightmare with car issues since the new year, which has eaten into any spare funds we have. So I'll just have to wait a little while longer :confused:
Thank you for the taking the time to explain. Yes I was almost having to duck under my softbox :) I'd like a smaller softbox. I did buy one, but I can only use it with my flashgun - didn't think ahead! :rolleyes: The shadows work well, as does the backdrop. I am also now finding myself trying to work out how things have been done.
I had another play last night and used the tripod - much better experience! I'd like a reflector holder now, so I can make sure I've always got that in the same place too. It seems it's another well to throw money into ha ha!! Anyway I really enjoy seeing your images, so keep them coming :)

Great use of props for the theme. I'd agree that the colour one works best. I like the way you've offset the background boards at an angle too. Good job

Back