Dom's 52-21- A year older, but none the wiser. Wk: 36 Unnatural

The first one and the third are both good but the first one just swings it for me, what was it about the ocean of black you didn't like.

It put the flowers on the center line and just didn't look right.
Interesting point, I have been using different crops of flower pics recently, trying to get away from the Normas it were and know what you mean about them being to central,
I found that doing the image in portrait with the flowers on the bottom third can work.

I'd be happy with any of those, but #3 runs away with it for me. The combination of colour, detail and composition are great.

They are all really cool. Remind me of music notes... I guess that's why I like #4 & 11 because I'm playing the notes in my head. Although 11 has a creepy triffid-family vibe going on too. I think that would be my favourite.

I was about to write exactly the same as @Harlequin565 - especially the 2nd - musical notes! The last has a nice crescendo feel to it as they are getting bigger and wider and probably the pitch is rising ha ha! I think probably no. 2 is my favourite but it is impossible really to choose.

A hard choice all very good I can see why you have had difficulty choosing

Ha, I was going to say the same as Ian and Bebop. Very musical note in appearance.
I think I would agree with your choice of the shots. I perhaps prefer the whiter background of the second shot, but much prefer the 3 subjects in #1 over the 5.

I think the first shot has (for me) the most impact. However, they all have their own merits, spoiled for choice really.

Wk: 16 Out and about

To be honest, i don't take the camera out and about much even when we're not in lock down. So far in this years 52 i have only taken 3 shots outside.
So this week i went to the stables with the wife because she wanted to practice some jumping, which she hasn't done since about September. I was mainly there to set up the jumps and pick up any knocked down polls. So i thought it would be an opportunity to get my Out and about shot done.

untitled-238.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

I did also get this pic of a Magnolia flower on a walk around the garden/estate.

untitled.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Both fit the bill nicely. We've just bought a magnolia tree to plant and can't agree on where it should go :)

Not much you can do about the background for the horse jumping, but it looks to me like you've captured the right moment well.

Horse jumping picture for me you have caught the jump really well

Playing comment catchup!!

Rough
I would agree the mono is a bit "samey". I might have been tempted to move the bottom right disc off the material.

Smooth
Three nice images, my favourite is the middle one. The first two do look a bit tight in the frame. I appreciate the BTS image, it can "definitely paint a thousand words"

Alive
Very regal looking and we'll captured. I had to bump up the brightness to see the furniture legs as initially it appeared to float.

Easter
Well composed image, although when you present a number of elements in a scene I invariably check the positioning!! I would personally move the saucer to be centred to the surrounding parts.

Spring
Three well composed images, number three just shades it with being a bit different.

Snapper's Choice
All good images in their own right, I really like the symmetry of the last one. If they are all the same I would have swapped them about to show the changes in the swirl at the top.

Out and about
I like the horse image best although the magnolia has a great DOF background.

As @Bebop said both fit the brief of out and about.
If I were to choose, it'd be the horse jumping shot as it tells more of a story in being out and about.
I do enjoy the colour tones in your magnolia shot too though.

Nice image and perfect for the theme I like the fact you have left it in colour also.

Love the shapes and colours in this. Lots of contrast and detail but I would have 'erased' the little bit of tree sticking up.

Well spotted - great colours and shapes. A bit more blue in the sky would have been nice, or even all blue to contrast with the rusty red, but it still works really well. I'm off to read the link now - thanks for sharing!

Edit - looks fascinating - will have to visit. I am currently reading a book about one of my Victorian relatives - in fact he tried to shoot Queen Victoria :oops: :$ so I've been immersed in this era lately.

Last edited:
Very nicely composed and great juxtaposition of colours with some lovely light on the rust.

Yep - works well that :)

Feels like this has a nice magenta hue to it and whilst the arrangement feels a bit chaotic, it's about the subject - which are the numbers. And they work really well for me.

Nice still-life and plenty of numbers there.

I like the numbers still life, works very well and the arrangement/composition is true to life. Nice job and on theme

Works for me, plenty of numbers and things of interest relating to those numbers.

Pete

Wk: 19 Toys

This little Teddy is my wife's son's, so about 30yrs old. Through lots of use and hugs, his face got worn away, so his gran used a marker pen and gave him a new smiley face.
The lighting took a bit of fiddling to get right (well right for me, i'll let you decide if it's right). I've added a pic of the set up, it looks a bit confusing with all of the books and kitchen behind, but i hope you can sort of work it out.

untitled-7.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-3.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

2021-05-16_11-12-36 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

And here's one just for @Bebop

untitled-12.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

What a lovely teddy and I especially love his eyebrows :) I think I prefer the first composition although it's nice to see the top of the prop in the second. The lighting and backdrop work really well.

That looks like the wannabe superhero in The Incredibles shopping at Screwfix - looking for more toys? Great idea too.

Back