Dom's 52-21- A year older, but none the wiser. Wk: 36 Unnatural

I am rubbish at still life because this sort of thing is what I'd like to recreate but I fail every time. I love the subtle muted tones in this, the arrangement, the background. It all shows careful consideration and lighting. The stalk on the 2nd fruit up that overlaps the spoon is really the only (epically pedantic) thing I'm not keen on, but I really had to dig that out because this is a fine effort IMO.

Lovely shot and very well put together!

Great image, really well lit and plenty of interest in the frame, and I love the background.

I really like this - I like the composition and I very much like the colours and lighting you have achieved. LIke @Harlequin565, this is something I'd love to be able to do, but have never managed it - so kudos to you, and I shall be watching to see if I can get some inspiration for the future!

excellent work as are all your still lives
you seem to have settled on a style of processing that works so well on this type of image

A week off and you come back all guns blazing !!!
There's nothing I don't like about the shot.
One of my favourite bits being the diagonal lighting with everything that needs to be lit on that diagonal too.

Excellent work: the lighting, the arrangement of items and the processing are all flawless.

The only aspect which niggled slightly when I first saw the image soon after you posted it, and why I haven't commented until now - trying to put my finger on it - is the verticality of it all. Portrait format with the "spoon" aligned up and down, on a table with joins aligned up and down. Something at a bit of an angle *might* have been better; or not.

Impressive work, I hope to see many more of them.

Oh you are just so good at this kind of thing Dominic. :clap:

Looks perfect ... ok if I must comment, on the tiniest little change I wouldn't mind seeing:

Four fruit down near the handle could be moved up top. (?)

Very nicely composed Dom
lovely textures too.

I really like the diagonal strip of light, with the darkened corners beyond that, it really works with the composition.

That's a well thought out and nice precise layout Dominic. I like the lighting too.

It feels a bit tight on the right hand edge of the photo other than that a superb effort.

I really like that. It’s the sort of shot I’d love to be able to take. I’d like to think now I’ve seen yours I could create a similar effect but I seem to lack the imagination to form such designs myself :)

Thank you everyone for your kind words. On to week 2.

WK: 2 Dirty

This oil lamp has been knocking around one of our woodsheds for years and i've been trying to find a way of fitting it into a photo, so i thought i'd try this one.
A bit of a break from the norm here, this was not shot in my house like nearly all of my set up kind of shots are done. This was on location in the woodshed. I had to scramble over logs, set my tripod up on a less than idea surface and scramble over the logs again everytime i wanted to add or make adjustments to the composition.
I'm not too happy about the black line running though the middle of the photo (which is the join in the tin sheets), but i couldn't set this up anywhere else.

untitled-10-Edit.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Excellent the subject matter, tones and composition all spot on, black line isn't a problem
well worth the obvious effort you put in

An interesting old thing there. Is it sitting on a shelf or something as the light drops off drastically below it. The vignette works well as do the tones.
No issue with the join in the sheets of tin, it adds to the rustic feel.

Didn't notice the black line until you mentioned it, keep quiet in future :cool: :)

Personally, the line doesn't bother me. I like the vignetting, I'm not usually a fan but it fits here, the subject implies great age and neglect. I like it.

Great still life and fits the theme well, that vignette is perfect for the image too. It reminds me the the US Mid-West for some reason. There is nothing here that I don't like (although I do wonder how nice it would look in sepia tone ;) ) For me, the line isn't a problem, it's just part of the 'wriggly tin' building.

Last edited:
I really like that.

Fits the theme very well and, just as important, is different to all the shots of muddy boots (mine included).

The rust and dirt would mean it wouldn't be a huge job to get rid of that line if it bothers you that much.(It doesn't bother me)

Last edited:
Excellent image, also good to see a shot of the camera setup.

Out of the 2 photos i prefer Kell`s edit as it fills the frame and really shows off the lovely textures of the objects

Excellent image, also good to see a shot of the camera setup.

Out of the 2 photos i prefer Kell`s edit as it fills the frame and really shows off the lovely textures of the objects

I didn't crop it differently - just got rid of the line...

Yes, my mistake for some reason I was thinking of the camera setup view

Yep - that works a treat.

Good to see the setup view. I agree about the line, although it does add authenticity to the shot. Maybe betting in a bit closer (via zoom as you've no option to physically get closer) would have revealed a bit more of your subject, but comparing it to Kell's edit, I think I prefer the original. Torn on that one.

Back