Dom's 52 for 2019 - Week 19 "Decay"

Waiting- I love that mono shot
Rough- It works for the theme, but I'm not sure the mono really works on this one.
Object-It works on this one...nicely done, I like the symettry.
Wet- Great shot sooc, very nicely done.

Object: Lovely in black and white with good use of light. Can’t help but wonder what it would be like in colour.

Wet: stunning SooC serene image. Really love the blue tones. Would be extremely happy if this was mine. The old pier is a nice lead in line to the little boat. This adds a bit more interest to the image. Not that I think it needed it. :clap:

This is such a great and peaceful looking image Dom, good colours and lighting.
Thanks Dave.

Waiting- I love that mono shot
Rough- It works for the theme, but I'm not sure the mono really works on this one.
Object-It works on this one...nicely done, I like the symettry.
Wet- Great shot sooc, very nicely done.
Thanks Jon!

That’s a beautiful image. I could sit and look at that on a wall for hours. Nicely done.
Thanks!

As above really very nice image
Thanks Allan!

Object: Lovely in black and white with good use of light. Can’t help but wonder what it would be like in colour. Wet: stunning SooC serene image. Really love the blue tones. Would be extremely happy if this was mine. The old pier is a nice lead in line to the little boat. This adds a bit more interest to the image. Not that I think it needed it. :clap:
Thanks Mandy!

Like the square crop for this one and how the top of the poles sit on the horizon
Nice

Your entry for the wet theme is truly spectacular!
The perfect exposure is matched by it's composition, and the colours are beautiful!
All the more impressive that it's SOOC....there appears to be no colour cast from your filter too, the Gobe looks like a decent bit of kit....might have to upgrade since my long exposures come out looking all magenta-y!
Expertly executed image Dom!(y)

Wet. Very calm scene, i like how the sky and water merge.

Nicely done Dom, great image!

Wet, like that especially as it’s sooc as well. Live too far from the sea have to make do with the local boat pond :)
Thanks Chris! I'm quite lucky being in the southwest as I can be at the sea within an hour. I'm sure long exposures at the boat pond would look great though!

That is a really stunning image for Wet Dom. A really beautiful shot that I would have on my wall. Smashing :clap:
Thanks Lee!

Like the square crop for this one and how the top of the poles sit on the horizon
Nice
Thanks Chenti!

Your entry for the wet theme is truly spectacular!
The perfect exposure is matched by it's composition, and the colours are beautiful!
All the more impressive that it's SOOC....there appears to be no colour cast from your filter too, the Gobe looks like a decent bit of kit....might have to upgrade since my long exposures come out looking all magenta-y!
Expertly executed image Dom!(y)
Thanks Gareth! There is a slight colour cast with the Gobe from doing a test in the garden, but nothing too major. But for £20 from amazon I would recommend them!

Wet. Very calm scene, i like how the sky and water merge.
Thanks Rob!

Nicely done Dom, great image!
Thanks Daniel!

It's a great shot. Superb location and well-worth revisiting.
Just a pity about the two boats and the buoys which obviously look a bit fuzzy with a 30 second exposure, not so noticeable with the gulls.
But anyway, I'd be well-chuffed with that!!

Nice rough image there. The sharpness of the pruners against the prettyness of the bush works well

The wet image is great. Lovely and serene and the fact that it's sooc is pretty amazing skills

Hi Dom, Have not been good at commenting so far this year but hoping to get caught up with everyone today!

Distant - good that you made the effort to move the console, the clean bg works well. I prefer the first version, the softer look suits the period
Cold - Square crop works perfectly for this, I like the effect of the ice, it does make it look like hills and craters of a planet. I think I might have lightened the bottles little to really make them pop. Well spotted and improvised
Waiting - Really like the first image, just enough light to highlight the bits that needed to be highlighted (y)
Rough - Definitely need a bit of tlc, B&W works well, not keen on the top left corner but I guess if you went straight on to lose this, you would lose the reflection, so its worth the compromise.
Object - Clever idea. Nice tones, would be nice to see what it looked like in colour.
Wet - Love this, the colour is lovely and for me the pier or what's left of it sits perfectly in the middle (y)(y)

:D

Well done on meeting your object-ive :) with the hedge and also ticking the B&W technique off; it seems to suit the light and sharp textures in that scene.
The SOOC Wet image has lovely cool tones and looks a very peaceful thanks to the smooth textures from the long exposure. Good work (y)

Thanks Andrea!

Perfect choice in the B&W for Object, it really emphasises the texture on the leaves and the pruning shears.
Wet is just superb, I agree with Lee I could hang that on my wall

Thanks Susie!

It's a great shot. Superb location and well-worth revisiting.
Just a pity about the two boats and the buoys which obviously look a bit fuzzy with a 30 second exposure, not so noticeable with the gulls.
But anyway, I'd be well-chuffed with that!!

Thanks Bob, I think next time i'll bump the iso and try to bring the exposure time down.

Nice rough image there. The sharpness of the pruners against the prettyness of the bush works well
The wet image is great. Lovely and serene and the fact that it's sooc is pretty amazing skills
Hi Dom, Have not been good at commenting so far this year but hoping to get caught up with everyone today!

Thanks Georgina!

Distant - good that you made the effort to move the console, the clean bg works well. I prefer the first version, the softer look suits the period
Cold - Square crop works perfectly for this, I like the effect of the ice, it does make it look like hills and craters of a planet. I think I might have lightened the bottles little to really make them pop. Well spotted and improvised
Waiting - Really like the first image, just enough light to highlight the bits that needed to be highlighted (y)
Rough - Definitely need a bit of tlc, B&W works well, not keen on the top left corner but I guess if you went straight on to lose this, you would lose the reflection, so its worth the compromise.
Object - Clever idea. Nice tones, would be nice to see what it looked like in colour.
Wet - Love this, the colour is lovely and for me the pier or what's left of it sits perfectly in the middle (y)(y)

:D

Week 10 - Free

@Carl Hall let me borrow his Hasselblad 500c/m for a few hours last weekend. I have been shooting in 1:1 a lot lately and the urge to upgrade my Lubitel 2 for a medium format SLR is growing. This is a typical instagram snap, but looking down at the waist level finder is a great experience! Was hoping to have the film scans back from filmdev in time for today, but i'll put some in the thread when they come back.

Taken with my trusty X-T20 and 23mm F2 lens, processed in lightroom.

Blad.JPG

Flickr

What a cracking image. Very creative. I love what appears to be a mono image showing in the viewfinder, combining with the warm colour on the outer. Well done Dom.

Niceee, not sure I'd want to borrow a Hasselblad, I'd probably end up wanting one.

What a cracking image. Very creative. I love what appears to be a mono image showing in the viewfinder, combining with the warm colour on the outer. Well done Dom.
Thanks Ian.

Niceee, not sure I'd want to borrow a Hasselblad, I'd probably end up wanting one.
Thanks Jon, yeah thats the real danger. Looking into other alternatives.

Now that is a cracker of a shot, like Ian says I too love how it appears to be in mono. Very nice and clever shot.
Thanks Dave.

Lovely image Dom. I echo what others have said regarding the mono looking viewfinder and warm colours that surround it. Very nice :)
Thanks Lee.

Brilliant image Dom, very creative indeed!
Looking forward to seeing the scans when you get them back.
Nice work Dom!(y)
Thanks Gareth, heres my favourite Hasselblad Scan.

Yes, the "mono-looking" image in the viewfinder contrasted with the rest of the image makes this very interesting.
Thanks Bob.

I have fallen behind with comments and now photo's but I am determined to catch up with everyone so apologies all.

Week 11 - Entrance Sooc

This is a tick in the box, for technique and the theme.

55887886_269402203990609_7816747046001442816_n.jpg

Week 12 - Young Sooc

Decided to go for another rabbit portrait. This is Bubbles and she is 12 weeks old. Used a longer dof this time ensuring her whole face was in focus. Had to use quite a high iso, possibly in 5 figures but the fuji copes very well. Didn't want to go bellow 1/500 as she doesn't sit still for long! Really tried to make the background less cluttered as per the comments from week 1. Might still be too busy for some, but I'm pretty happy with the result.

55560455_788186854883535_51796231847936000_n.jpg
Flickr

Last edited:
Two great images there Dom!
Entrance: I do like the simplicity of this image, the central composition works well and the colours are terrific!
Young: You can't go wrong with a cute little bunny, great portrait of an adorable model!!
Nice work Dom!(y)

Great images for both themes Dom, can see why you chose the shot for Entrance, the blue door really stands out against the stone wall! Great shot of the bunny too, bg is fine IMO.

very nice entrance love the randomness of the blocks.
Young is perfect for the theme and background is fine for me :)

Two good entries!!
ENTRANCE - the pale blue door with no handle!! Very mysterious!!
YOUNG - no problem with the background. The bunny practically fills the frame so you hardly notice the bg.

Both images work well. Love the young bunny though. Nice detail.

What's the story with the door/entrance? Is it to a castle maybe?

Two good shots there Dom. I like the mystery surrounding the Entrance shot. Where does it go to? How do you get in without a handle? Good colours too.

Excellent shot for Young. Very good choice of focal length to make Bunny look like it is really looking tall and into the camera. It's a very clear shot - I dread to think what my shots would look like with a five figure ISO :eek:

Young
Good bunny portrait, the right dof and a not cluttered background. Good job.

Hi Dom,

Wet - I like the light you've caught there, lovely rich blues.
The sort of shot Pink Floyd may have used as an album cover.

Free - An interesting looking camera. Not sure I'd want one though.
Stick with the Fujis ;)

Entrance - I think there is a better shot there possibly, waiting to escape. COuld you have been further back or zoomed out more, with the feature door smaller in the wall. I think with the colour there to make it stand out, having it more in hte environment could have worked better (but that's me imagining what might be there, for all I know just out of shot is a modern building...)

Young - Blimey, I wouldn't push my Fuj to that high an ISO, but seems to have worked for you :)

Liking your entrance shot Dom, good and colourful and like the ivy growing on the wall.
Young is a lovely shot too.
Thanks Dave.

Two great images there Dom!
Entrance: I do like the simplicity of this image, the central composition works well and the colours are terrific!
Young: You can't go wrong with a cute little bunny, great portrait of an adorable model!!
Nice work Dom!(y)
Thanks Gareth.

Great images for both themes Dom, can see why you chose the shot for Entrance, the blue door really stands out against the stone wall! Great shot of the bunny too, bg is fine IMO.
Thanks Daniel.

very nice entrance love the randomness of the blocks.
Young is perfect for the theme and background is fine for me :)
Thanks Peter.

Two good entries!!
ENTRANCE - the pale blue door with no handle!! Very mysterious!!
YOUNG - no problem with the background. The bunny practically fills the frame so you hardly notice the bg.
Thanks Bob.

Both images work well. Love the young bunny though. Nice detail.

What's the story with the door/entrance? Is it to a castle maybe?

Thanks Ian, so the door is a lower disused entrance into the Royal Citadel in Plymouth.

Two good shots there Dom. I like the mystery surrounding the Entrance shot. Where does it go to? How do you get in without a handle? Good colours too.

Excellent shot for Young. Very good choice of focal length to make Bunny look like it is really looking tall and into the camera. It's a very clear shot - I dread to think what my shots would look like with a five figure ISO :eek:

Thanks Lee, the fuji high iso performance is really good!

Young
Good bunny portrait, the right dof and a not cluttered background. Good job.
Thanks Dominic.

Hi Dom,

Wet - I like the light you've caught there, lovely rich blues.
The sort of shot Pink Floyd may have used as an album cover.

Free - An interesting looking camera. Not sure I'd want one though.
Stick with the Fujis ;)

Entrance - I think there is a better shot there possibly, waiting to escape. COuld you have been further back or zoomed out more, with the feature door smaller in the wall. I think with the colour there to make it stand out, having it more in hte environment could have worked better (but that's me imagining what might be there, for all I know just out of shot is a modern building...)

Young - Blimey, I wouldn't push my Fuj to that high an ISO, but seems to have worked for you :)

Thanks Tim. Yeah I wasn't particularly excited about entrance, but ticked a box. I'll bear the suggestions in mind for the future though. I'm still figuring out what the little X-T20 is capable of but iso performance is very good!

Heres some catch up weeks!

Week 13 - Food - SooC

This was taken on my Huawei P20 Pro, the soup was butternut squash and chilli, just what was needed after a morning of white water rafting on a stag do.

46861385214_1287f0529c_k.jpg

Flickr

Last edited:
Week 14 - Smooth

As soon as I read the theme I had an idea for a spinning LP. And with a new coloured record arriving I couldn't resist! No ND filters needed, just fairly late with natural low light, 3 second exposure so smooth out the grooves in the record.

For those interested my turntable is a Rega Planar 2 and the record is the by the progressive metal band Periphery.

33704582898_27d18d4120_o.jpg

Flickr

Last edited:
Week 15 - Above

The fields in Somerset look amazing at the moment with these yellow flowers. No idea what they are so please let me know if you do! Drove past this the other day and had to go back for a photo. Had fun following the tractor wheel paths through the field until i could get the composition I wanted. Another example of the 52 project sparking ideas I wouldn't have had otherwise.

47615855571_efbf2793ee_k.jpg

Flickr

Last edited:
Back