Dom's 52 for 2019 - Week 19 "Decay"

Excellent work Dom, a very well thought out image.
B&W works very well, and the effort you put into composing the shot paid off!
I like that it's a working instrument...and not pristine, untouched or unplayed...gives it soul!
Very nice work Dom.(y)

Thanks Gareth.

nice shot and good DOF works very well.

Thanks Peter.

That has come out really well, an excellent study of a well used guitar :)
B&W does indeed suit it.

Thanks Tim, making the most of the first technique.

Spot on focus Dom, b&w the perfect choice it works really well.

Thanks Susie.

Good decision to get in close and concentrate on the area of main interest, Dom. It concentrates the eye and conveys the theme well, while B&W makes the details pop and brings out the textures (y)

Thanks Andrea.

Open - I had thought about doing something similar with 1 of my guitars, but ran out of time to do it. Love the composition of this image works well and the mono conversion adds strength to the image.

Thanks Mandy. Still plenty of time to get guitar photos in this year!

Week 4 - Distant Memories - Snes (Super Nintendo Games Console)

Sunday has become 52 challenge day, trying to make the most of the natural light gives me a short window to get a photo for the week, but thats part of the fun of the challenge. I chose my subject but couldn't decide how to capture it with out lots of clutter. I decided to remove it from its usual place of use in (front of the telly and bookshelf) and made a seamless backdrop from some left over xmas wrapping paper (Hense the little squares) and opened the window blind to let some natural light in.

I'm posting two versions this week, the first has had the clarity slider in lightroom turned down. Sometimes distant memories aren't as clear as perhaps we think they are. They tend to be a little smoother around the edges. The Snes looks similar to the day I got it xmas circa 1994-1995.

The Second version has been processed normally, to show the true colours, age discolouration and dust 25ish years on. I couldn't decide which to post in the main thread, but thinking this is a photography forum I went for the 'proper' one.

I shot this with a 23mm lens but even at F11 I couldn't get the entire snes in focus. Is this due to the background being a solid colour?

DSCF8053.jpg

DSCF8053-2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dom,

New - I like the re-crop. The bunny looks good in mono too.
Clean - Nice shot that is spot on the theme. I think I would like the tap to have a bit more space above it Nice composition and exposure.
Open - I like this a lot. Really good DoF and the mono conversion works well. It looks like your guitar has seen a lot of action.
Distant - That is a blast from the past! I prefer the first version myself. The focus point will have an element of shot that's in focus in front and some behind the point of focus. Typically about a third in front and two thirds behind. Try focussing at about one third into the scene (say, on the controller plug) and see how it looks.

First for me too I like the composition the way the wire kind of frames the console

I think the 2nd works well really gives it some age.
and here was me thinking me still having a ps one had something old lol.

Open - good focus and works well in black and white.
Distant - I prefer the first one but can't quite say why. certainly a blast from the past

Great concept Dom!(y)
I like the second image too...has a nice punchy look.
Great lighting and well controlled shadows too.
As others have said, it's definitely a blast from the past....for me though, I remember selling loads of them back when I worked at a well known, high street electrical retailer.

I was so sure I commented on your image earlier, but maybe I didn't hit enter....sorry it's a bit late Dom....I am a bit dopey sometimes!:giggle:

Dom, we had exactly the same consul. Just still having it makes the concept great and I think I prefer the first image. The shot would of been if you playing an old game.

Great idea Dom. Haven't seen one of those for a long time but funnily enough my 32 year old lad and his girlfriend have recently bought the updated version with wireless controllers and we were playing Super Mario all over Christmas

Good idea for the theme, Dom, and a great choice of subject (y) I prefer the overall look of the first image even if the second one is more accurate!

As for your focus problem, Lee has some good advice in the first reply; for a relatively close subject your depth of field is limited - even at f11 - so maximising the extent of "acceptably sharp" is key. Look up 'hyperfocal distance' for more in-depth explanations and examples.

Nice to see a different take on the theme. I also think the second one looks better and ages it more to its era.

Hi Dom,

New - I like the re-crop. The bunny looks good in mono too.
Clean - Nice shot that is spot on the theme. I think I would like the tap to have a bit more space above it Nice composition and exposure.
Open - I like this a lot. Really good DoF and the mono conversion works well. It looks like your guitar has seen a lot of action.
Distant - That is a blast from the past! I prefer the first version myself. The focus point will have an element of shot that's in focus in front and some behind the point of focus. Typically about a third in front and two thirds behind. Try focussing at about one third into the scene (say, on the controller plug) and see how it looks.

Thanks Lee, focusing seems to be something I have overlooked until now. It's something that will definitely be in my mind from now on while composing.

Second shot for me Dom and what a blast from the past ( Still own the original PS One ). Liking the colours more in the 2nd image as it just looks better.

Thanks Dave, fond memories of Crash Bandicoot and James Bond games from the PS1.

First shot for me, the background is certainly better and I prefer the overall colour in the first too.

Thanks Tim!

First for me too I like the composition the way the wire kind of frames the console

Thanks Allan!

I will say the 2nd just cos it looks older. Great idea for the theme, too.

Thanks Bob.

I think the 2nd works well really gives it some age.
and here was me thinking me still having a ps one had something old lol.

Thanks Peter!

The second one for me, I much prefer the colours, it looks much more natural. Excellent choice for the theme.

Thanks Susie!

Open - good focus and works well in black and white.
Distant - I prefer the first one but can't quite say why. certainly a blast from the past

Thanks!

Great concept Dom!(y)
I like the second image too...has a nice punchy look.
Great lighting and well controlled shadows too.
As others have said, it's definitely a blast from the past....for me though, I remember selling loads of them back when I worked at a well known, high street electrical retailer.
I was so sure I commented on your image earlier, but maybe I didn't hit enter....sorry it's a bit late Dom....I am a bit dopey sometimes!:giggle:

Thanks Gareth, no need to apologise, i'm struggling to get round to everyone!

Dom, we had exactly the same consul. Just still having it makes the concept great and I think I prefer the first image. The shot would of been if you playing an old game.

Thanks, yeah that could have been a good one!

Great idea Dom. Haven't seen one of those for a long time but funnily enough my 32 year old lad and his girlfriend have recently bought the updated version with wireless controllers and we were playing Super Mario all over Christmas

Thanks Ian, Super Mario is great!

Good idea for the theme, Dom, and a great choice of subject (y) I prefer the overall look of the first image even if the second one is more accurate!
As for your focus problem, Lee has some good advice in the first reply; for a relatively close subject your depth of field is limited - even at f11 - so maximising the extent of "acceptably sharp" is key. Look up 'hyperfocal distance' for more in-depth explanations and examples.

Thanks Andrea, I'll look into it :)

Nice to see a different take on the theme. I also think the second one looks better and ages it more to its era.

Thanks Mandy!

Last edited:
Week 5 - A couple of "Cold" ones.

Went out into the garden to try and get some snow shots, but it had started to melt at this point. Then I saw a bucket I had left out that had frozen over. I smashed up the ice and dropped a couple beers in from the fridge. I was using a 1:1 aspect ratio in camera and saw the potential for an in bucket image. Almost looks like a planet in space. Intentionally made this a dark photo in the edit, but trying to be mindful of not going too far with the edits. I'm learning Lightroom and photography at the same time and really enjoying it. Glad I took up the 52 project!

IMG_5211.JPG

I spent ages trying to work out how you had done that shot. It is really cool! and clever.

Great picture Dom, definitely fits the cold theme. The colours stand out amazingly against the ice and shadows. Makes me want to have a beer.

I'll have the corona extra with a slice of lime please. Funny how shots can sometimes just present themselves to us. Good image with a nice bit of colour from the labels. Certainly looks very cold.

This is quite a cool image Dom. I like the fact that the colour of the bottle labels is just below the surface of the water

Yep - bucket of beer - what's not to like? :)

A really good shot for the theme, very nicely done. Nitpicking here a bit, but it's a shame a small part of the bucket is missing on the right hand side. Great idea, and very well executed.

Back