Donington before Health and Safety.

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
I've been going through a load of old photos from my childhood and it was so refreshing to see Donington without all the catch fencing. These were taken in the early 1980's. Please don't judge the photos :LOL:

NZ7_2704
by TDG-77, on Flickr

NZ7_2707
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Before health and safety and before personal injury lawyers (y)

I think H&S existed well before the 80's :)

The major problem nowadays is that everyone witters on about the H&S police, but then when something goes wrong the story changes to how was that allowed to happen, and how much can I get out of that. A reasonable compromise is what is needed in the vast majority of cases, and the word 'reasonable' is very much the word within the legal expectation. As a driver and rider who has been around Donnington many times, I'd much rather hit some catch fencing etc. than concrete barriers. :)

I think H&S existed well before the 80's :)

The major problem nowadays is that everyone witters on about the H&S police, but then when something goes wrong the story changes to how was that allowed to happen, and how much can I get out of that. A reasonable compromise is what is needed in the vast majority of cases, and the word 'reasonable' is very much the word within the legal expectation. As a driver and rider who has been around Donnington many times, I'd much rather hit some catch fencing etc. than concrete barriers. :)
Yep, get your point. I just wish we used common sense rather than litigation, but folk are out to get what they can.

Motorsport tickets have always had, for as long as I can remember, warnings saying motorsport is dangerous. I then choose to take the risk or not, just as I do riding a motorbike. In my ideal world that’s where it should end, I was warned and if something happens it’s on my own head. But I understand I live in a fantasy land :LOL:

Yep, get your point. I just wish we used common sense rather than litigation, but folk are out to get what they can.

Motorsport tickets have always had, for as long as I can remember, warnings saying motorsport is dangerous. I then choose to take the risk or not, just as I do riding a motorbike. In my ideal world that’s where it should end, I was warned and if something happens it’s on my own head. But I understand I live in a fantasy land :LOL:
I can't help but agree, but as ou say, those days are well in the past.

Health and Safety at Work, etc, act 1974

Before then, there wasn't any :LOL:
I didn't want to get into quoting legislation, but there were plenty of prosecutions prior to 1974, but yes that is when that particular pice of legislation was developed. :)

Last edited:
Just in case anyone is unaware of H&S requirements prior to 1974, here is an example of some case law. That is from 1949.

You get pretty much that exact type of view at Castle Combe today. The fence gremlins have grown over the years, but what is arguably the most crashy corner in the whole of the UK is perfectly accessible to view/photograph with just a waist high fence in the way.

Back