Donington F1 Masters Festival

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
Was great to get back to watching motorsport again. Unfortunately the paddock was closed to the public but it was a great weekend nonetheless.

Best viewed on Flickr as they look soft on here.

A7R06791-Edit-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

A7R03855
by TDG-77, on Flickr

A7R05836-Edit-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

A7R04194-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

A7R07712-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

A7R04878-Edit-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

A7R08430-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

A7R08304-Edit-2
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi @snerkler,

Some great panning shot there, my favourite is no 3.

I need to learn how to pan.

These are outrageously good! Very skillful!

No3 is my fave but no1 is superb! How fast a pan was that??

Some great shots there, nice work with the panning and better looking still on Flickr.
Do you know if any additional catch fencing has gone up since last season ? I’m trying to decide which Bsb rounds to go to this year.

Lovely set and sine cracking cars.
Which will we see at AVF ;)
Thanks. I'm not sure yet, I'm still in the "picking faults with them" stage ;)
These are outrageously good! Very skillful!

No3 is my fave but no1 is superb! How fast a pan was that??
Thanks very much. Number 1 and 7 have had some extra blur added in PP and were pretty fast shutter speeds initially. 1 was 1/100 and 7 was 1/320.
Some great shots there, nice work with the panning and better looking still on Flickr.
Do you know if any additional catch fencing has gone up since last season ? I’m trying to decide which Bsb rounds to go to this year.
Thanks. Depends when you went last season? When I went for the WSB last year they'd added new catch fencing at the bottom of the Melbourne loop and since then no new catch fencing. However, they've added a second row of 'barriers' in more places meaning that you can't get right up to the catch fencing meaning that it's VERY difficult to hide, thank god for dehaze in Lightroom. The new barrier fence at the Roberts chicane and Goddards is about 12-15ft from the catch fencing and so I didn't even bother trying to get a shot there. The only fence free area is the inside of Redgate and the Craner Curves, unless you're up high and shooting down over the fence of course.

In summary MSV have ruined Donington for photography, really frustrating. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother in future. Plus at the moment you can't get access to the Paddock so no shooting cars in the pits etc. That also means the only tunnel to the infield is at Coppice.

Thanks very much. Number 1 and 7 have had some extra blur added in PP and were pretty fast shutter speeds initially. 1 was 1/100 and 7 was 1/320.

Thanks. Depends when you went last season? When I went for the WSB last year they'd added new catch fencing at the bottom of the Melbourne loop and since then no new catch fencing. However, they've added a second row of 'barriers' in more places meaning that you can't get right up to the catch fencing meaning that it's VERY difficult to hide, thank god for dehaze in Lightroom. The new barrier fence at the Roberts chicane and Goddards is about 12-15ft from the catch fencing and so I didn't even bother trying to get a shot there. The only fence free area is the inside of Redgate and the Craner Curves, unless you're up high and shooting down over the fence of course.

In summary MSV have ruined Donington for photography, really frustrating. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother in future. Plus at the moment you can't get access to the Paddock so no shooting cars in the pits etc. That also means the only tunnel to the infield is at Coppice.

Thanks for the info. I haven’t been To Donington since WSB last year so it’s good to know about the second row of barriers. I may give it a miss. This seems to be the way things are going now, the Brands GP loop changed significantly a couple of years ago and now is nowhere near as good from a photo point of view. I’m hoping that Snetterton hasn’t changed too much as I’ve tickets for BSB there.

Thanks for the info. I haven’t been To Donington since WSB last year so it’s good to know about the second row of barriers. I may give it a miss. This seems to be the way things are going now, the Brands GP loop changed significantly a couple of years ago and now is nowhere near as good from a photo point of view. I’m hoping that Snetterton hasn’t changed too much as I’ve tickets for BSB there.
I've never been to Brands. Oulton Park was still OK in a number of areas last year but barriers are starting to creep in more. I keep meaning to go to Cadwell but haven't made it yet.

Very nice set. Really interested as to how you've shot #4 from the spectator side, I was trying to get that shot but couldn't find a way to do it.

Very nice set. Really interested as to how you've shot #4 from the spectator side, I was trying to get that shot but couldn't find a way to do it.
Thanks. Yeah it's a really pain to hide the fence with that as you're relatively close to the cars. I used a 5 stop filter so that I could shoot at f2.8, but you can still see hints of the fence if you look hard enough. I was hoping to retake this on Sunday when the weather was better but I didn't get the opportunity.

Yes Brands Hatch was ruined a couple of years ago due to 10ft high catch fencing being added to several areas around the GP track which was apparently to placate the German Touring Car Organisers having had a freak accident a few years ago where DTM car jumped the catch fencing narrowly missing some marshals
I see you pictures above are using a Sony - have you moved from M43 now ?

Yes Brands Hatch was ruined a couple of years ago due to 10ft high catch fencing being added to several areas around the GP track which was apparently to placate the German Touring Car Organisers having had a freak accident a few years ago where DTM car jumped the catch fencing narrowly missing some marshals
I see you pictures above are using a Sony - have you moved from M43 now ?
Yes, I wanted to consolidate two systems into one and having the cropabability of the A7RIV allowed me to do that. However I'm slightly regretting it as I didn't think I'd notice the weight difference between the Panny 100-400mm and the Sony 100-400mm that much but it's really noticeable. That being said the IQ from the Sony 100-400mm is on a different level, I'm going to give a monopod another go and just persevere and see if I can finally get on with it.

@snerkler there have been instances at Donington where cars have cleared the catch fencing, I've been there twice when its happened, once a TVR Tuscan cleared the fence just after Hollywood, and Keith O'Dor's Nissan cleared the fence in the TOCA shootout in 92

So you can sort of understand where the safety element comes from. I ahve also been at Cadwell, where a start line incident resulted in a part car and lots of debris *including a wheel) cleared the fence causing injury to a spectator.

Whilst these incidents are rare they do happen.

Donington is fabulous circuit though and probably my favourite to drive, there is nothing like going down the Cramer Curves without lifting, then flicking the car through the old Hairpin!!!

@snerkler there have been instances at Donington where cars have cleared the catch fencing, I've been there twice when its happened, once a TVR Tuscan cleared the fence just after Hollywood, and Keith O'Dor's Nissan cleared the fence in the TOCA shootout in 92

So you can sort of understand where the safety element comes from. I ahve also been at Cadwell, where a start line incident resulted in a part car and lots of debris *including a wheel) cleared the fence causing injury to a spectator.

Whilst these incidents are rare they do happen.

Donington is fabulous circuit though and probably my favourite to drive, there is nothing like going down the Cramer Curves without lifting, then flicking the car through the old Hairpin!!!
Yeah I understand why it has to be done, but it doesn't make me like it. When I used to go as a kid with my folks when it looked like my photos below we just accepted the risk and then it was our choice, just like I know the risks when I ride my motorbike, and don't get me started on spectating when we used to watch the Lombard RAC Rally at Chatsworth and Clumber Park ;)

I understand life isn't like that now, too much blame and litigation but it's a shame and I still like to live life in my little 'Toby world' ;)

NZ7_2704
by TDG-77, on Flickr

NZ7_2707
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Back