Donington Historic Festival 2018

Nice and sharp & vibrant jon but I find the backgrounds a bit distracting in some.

Nice pics. I assume number 1 (and several others) are taken at Coppice? How did you get access to that part of the track as I thought that area and down that side of the old dunlop straight were now restricted?

Lovely set of photos ... and another reason to regret not going :(

Hello Snerkler, You can now get in at the gate at Coppice Corner and the tunnel under Coppice is open giving access to the infield. Thank you for your comments on my photo's

The whole of the infield is open now. You can walk all along the Dunlop straight all though the viewing along there isn't great. From the inside of Redgate all the way almost to McLeans you have views unobstructed by fencing, apart from one very short piece half way down the Craner Curves for some reason.

I didn't make it to the outside of Coppice until late in the day. Don't think I got anything good from there. Certainly not as good as yours @jonnybantom . Lovely shots.

The Coppice tunnel appeared to be closed but I saw someone else squeeze past the barriers to go through so I did the same! There were no such signs or barriers on the other end.

Nice and crisp shots, just a shame about the motorhome in the background of some which is quite distracting. Nothing you can do about that though, some of mine from the British F3 & GT Media day were a bit ruined by a JCB driving up and down in the background of my shots from there. Great panning on #5 too

Hello Snerkler, You can now get in at the gate at Coppice Corner and the tunnel under Coppice is open giving access to the infield. Thank you for your comments on my photo's
I went to Coppice and through the tunnel, but from your shots it looks as though you're shooting from the outside of the track part way around coppice. I couldn't get much further round than the tunnel entrance, maybe another 50 yards or so.

The whole of the infield is open now. You can walk all along the Dunlop straight all though the viewing along there isn't great. From the inside of Redgate all the way almost to McLeans you have views unobstructed by fencing, apart from one very short piece half way down the Craner Curves for some reason.

I didn't make it to the outside of Coppice until late in the day. Don't think I got anything good from there. Certainly not as good as yours @jonnybantom . Lovely shots.

The Coppice tunnel appeared to be closed but I saw someone else squeeze past the barriers to go through so I did the same! There were no such signs or barriers on the other end.
Coppice Tunnel was open on Sunday. All my pics were from the infield, I did take some from the outside but even though I was right against the fence it still was too distracting in the photos for my liking.

I went to Coppice and through the tunnel, but from your shots it looks as though you're shooting from the outside of the track part way around coppice. I couldn't get much further round than the tunnel entrance, maybe another 50 yards or so.

Coppice Tunnel was open on Sunday. All my pics were from the infield, I did take some from the outside but even though I was right against the fence it still was too distracting in the photos for my liking.

Yes I don't like the fence cast in my pics. Mine aren't as sharp or clear as the ones above either. It was red hot by then and I think the heat haze didn't help.

I wasn't there long as being a bit of a short arse I had to tip toe to shoot over the lower spectator fence, which was quite uncomfortable and probably didn't help my images at all. It's the first time I've been up there, if I go again I'll take a folding stool to stand on.

Yes I don't like the fence cast in my pics. Mine aren't as sharp or clear as the ones above either. It was red hot by then and I think the heat haze didn't help.

I wasn't there long as being a bit of a short arse I had to tip toe to shoot over the lower spectator fence, which was quite uncomfortable and probably didn't help my images at all. It's the first time I've been up there, if I go again I'll take a folding stool to stand on.
I have the opposite problem, I'm 6'4" ;) There should be plenty of places to shoot from though without being on your tiptoes. On the infield there's a spot just before Coppice that you can get an unimpeded view, then the second half of the craner curves, and the inside of Redgate. You can of course go higher up the bank on the infield at the craner curves and old haripin, but I prefer to try and get as level with the track as I can most of the time.

I have the opposite problem, I'm 6'4" ;) There should be plenty of places to shoot from though without being on your tiptoes. On the infield there's a spot just before Coppice that you can get an unimpeded view, then the second half of the craner curves, and the inside of Redgate. You can of course go higher up the bank on the infield at the craner curves and old haripin, but I prefer to try and get as level with the track as I can most of the time.

Yes it was only the chainlink fence at Coppice which caused me a problem. The wooden fences all along from Redgate to McLeans are a perfect height! Spent most of my time on the infield near the bottom of the hill before the old hairpin. Discovered later that when I walked past the old hairpin to roughly opposite Starkey's Bridge you can get really quite close to the track. This is the area which used to be out of bounds.

Back