Donington Vintage Festival 2018

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
Here's a few from the Vintage festival, more on Flickr. Might be better viewed on Flickr anyway as I've forums have been making my images slightly soft lately. Apologies they're all a bit 'samey'

DSC_9983-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_0559-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_0974-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_1066-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_1107-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_1138-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_2480-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_2494-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
Aim for the meet:

1) to perfect panning
2) nothing else matters now

:D

Great shots, Toby. I don't care about "samey"..I think 4 is my favourite as the driver wills the car along.

Aim for the meet:

1) to perfect panning
2) nothing else matters now

:D

Great shots, Toby. I don't care about "samey"..I think 4 is my favourite as the driver wills the car along.
Thanks for the complements, very kind. Tbh I’m not where I want to be in terms of either panning or composition but I’m improving so I guess I should take heart from this.

I’m really struggling to be creative at Donington (well photography in general). I know that most of it will be down to me, but I’m also wondering if a change of track might help as I can’t for the life of me find a way to be more creative. I’ve walked the track both inside and out a few times trying to find somewhere. I’d love to spend a day with Mark aka lightfootphotography to see how he does it.

Really like the whole set and some terrific panning. Was that the Sigma 100-400? Get yourself up to Oulton Park for a change.

I really like these but there's just one thing that is throwing me...... In a couple of the shots it almost looks like the cars are going backwards (most pronounced in the first image). I'm not sure it it's the position of the cars in those images or if it's due to the shape of the cars or just my mind playing tricks on me. Great set overall though.

Really like the whole set and some terrific panning. Was that the Sigma 100-400? Get yourself up to Oulton Park for a change.
Thanks very much. I'd love to go to different tracks but it's a time thing as much as anything. Plus this year I was bought tickets for different events at Donington for my Birthday, I've still got another two to go to this year (y)

I really like these but there's just one thing that is throwing me...... In a couple of the shots it almost looks like the cars are going backwards (most pronounced in the first image). I'm not sure it it's the position of the cars in those images or if it's due to the shape of the cars or just my mind playing tricks on me. Great set overall though.
Thanks. I'm not sure tbh. I can't see it but I like. good optical illusion ;)

Very engaging and enjoyable set- some lovely elderly but potent cars of character there!

Great panning shots of some wonderful old cars. Hard to pick a favourite as they're all pretty spot on. I get your creative slump, I get like that at Oulton Park sometimes. I shoot so much there that it's easy to get into a rut.

Very engaging and enjoyable set- some lovely elderly but potent cars of character there!
Thanks very much. I think that's why I've posted so many, there were so many different interesting and beautiful cars it was hard not to keep firing away ;)

Great panning shots of some wonderful old cars. Hard to pick a favourite as they're all pretty spot on. I get your creative slump, I get like that at Oulton Park sometimes. I shoot so much there that it's easy to get into a rut.
Thanks, I appreciate it. TBH I get into a creative slump quite often these days. I saw a huge progress in my photography initially whereas now it just seems to be the same old same old (not just sports) but I don't seem to have that truly creative brain to come up with something less generic. I shall keep trying though (y)

good solid panning technique.... i dont why youre putting yourself down
Thanks. I think it’s because I’m stuck in a rut, my motorsport shots always look the same and I don’t seem to be able to get to the next level or make them look interesting/varied.

Don’t get me wrong a couple of years ago I’d have been thrilled to get shots like this but I’m the kind of person that has to constantly push myself. I’m now fairly confident that I have my technique down for most things (although still want to pan at slower shutter speeds) but I’m now wanting to go from good technique to ‘that’s interesting’ or ‘that’s different’ or ‘that tells a story’ if you know what I mean? ;)

Who cares about "samey" when "same excellence" is the common factor? :)

I do get what you're saying though, but for me I'm only on the start of my journey and still striving to get where you are, so if I could take shots like this that'd do me any day of the week. :)

Who cares about "samey" when "same excellence" is the common factor? :)

I do get what you're saying though, but for me I'm only on the start of my journey and still striving to get where you are, so if I could take shots like this that'd do me any day of the week. :)
Thanks, appreciate the kind comments.

Thanks. I think it’s because I’m stuck in a rut, my motorsport shots always look the same and I don’t seem to be able to get to the next level or make them look interesting/varied.
As I noted elsewhere, you seem to have pretty much nailed the panning technique. Now you have that "in the bag" you can pull it out to suit a shot or more likely a location in future.
My thought would be to go back to other motorsport images and work out what's the next challenge beyond the panning shot?

My most significant problem when I shoot motorsport is I get hung up on trying to get the shot "correct" and forget the sport part.
I'm ashamed to say that I've shot a bunch of images of a race I'm not engaged with and couldn't tell you which car won :)

For me there are beauty shots of cars but the real drama comes when you catch an overtaking move, a car over cooking a corner or clipping a curb.
My suggestion would be to look at the circuit and work out where passing is most likely in wheel to wheel racing - or the chances of mistakes in time laps and try and find a good position/composition there.

As I noted elsewhere, you seem to have pretty much nailed the panning technique. Now you have that "in the bag" you can pull it out to suit a shot or more likely a location in future.
My thought would be to go back to other motorsport images and work out what's the next challenge beyond the panning shot?

My most significant problem when I shoot motorsport is I get hung up on trying to get the shot "correct" and forget the sport part.
I'm ashamed to say that I've shot a bunch of images of a race I'm not engaged with and couldn't tell you which car won :)

For me there are beauty shots of cars but the real drama comes when you catch an overtaking move, a car over cooking a corner or clipping a curb.
My suggestion would be to look at the circuit and work out where passing is most likely in wheel to wheel racing - or the chances of mistakes in time laps and try and find a good position/composition there.
Thanks, appreciate the advice. The trouble with location is to get to the best passing places you have to shoot through the fence and the past 3 times I've been it's been gloriously sunny and to try and 'hide' the fencing is a real task. I shall continue in my quest though, the next event I have tickets to is the Vintage Motorcycles in July, then British GT in September (I think), although my wife's coming with my to the GT so I'll not have the same freedom as such that day.

These are great Toby. Really must try and get down to Donington Park.

Simon.

Lovely panning and wonderful subjects too ! I can only offer the suggestion of shooting wider to try and add some of the circuit's features into your shots, this is something that I have been attempting lately. These certainly are very crisp, was you using a monopod at all ?

Lovely panning and wonderful subjects too ! I can only offer the suggestion of shooting wider to try and add some of the circuit's features into your shots, this is something that I have been attempting lately. These certainly are very crisp, was you using a monopod at all ?
Thanks, I tried wider shots last time like these, but I couldn't find anywhere this time that was different and gave interesting composition. I'll try again next time. No monopod, as much as I try I just can't get on with them.

DSC_3980
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_5852
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Yes I've kind of abandoned the use of my monopod for panning even when using my 300mm, your technique certainly works well.

Yes I've kind of abandoned the use of my monopod for panning even when using my 300mm, your technique certainly works well.
Thanks.

Back