Donna

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
So here is another portrait attempt from me. I personally really like it even though it has been mentioned that nose is out of focus (Does it matter so long as the eyes are in focus?) and people really don't like the catch lights, which aren't your usual setup.

Thoughts?

46393927644_a6f2d88ffc_h.jpg

Donna by Mark Boadey - X-T3, XF60mmF2.4 R Macro@60.0 mm, f2.8, 1/250s, ISO160

I like it. Nose OOF is only something I thought about because you mentioned it and isn't a problem (in fact an in focus nose might be more distracting). Also, I really like the catchlights. Maybe it's because I like the cyborg-eye look - it does look very cyberpunk-y.

For me, the crop into the top of the head is too much though. The ever-so-slight slight angle to the head is quite obvious when the eyebrows are so close to that top edge. Perhaps I might not have noticed it with more top-o'-the-head - dunno. I don't think it needs much more forehead, but bringing the eyes down a bit in the frame would help. In. My. Opinion.

(y)

Thank you, very valid point. Alas that cannot be corrected as that is how I framed it. I do though have other shots where the head hasn't been cropped.
I like it. Nose OOF is only something I thought about because you mentioned it and isn't a problem (in fact an in focus nose might be more distracting). Also, I really like the catchlights. Maybe it's because I like the cyborg-eye look - it does look very cyberpunk-y.

For me, the crop into the top of the head is too much though. The ever-so-slight slight angle to the head is quite obvious when the eyebrows are so close to that top edge. Perhaps I might not have noticed it with more top-o'-the-head - dunno. I don't think it needs much more forehead, but bringing the eyes down a bit in the frame would help. In. My. Opinion.

(y)

TBH I see the angled head as all part of her expression, and the crop emphasises it as though she's just asked a question and is waiting for the answer.

Very nice portrait shot, with good colour and a nice expression.(y)

George.

I like it a lot! Personally for me I probably wouldn't have cropped so tight for that image ratio, or if so have her positioned slightly lower in frame. Possibly rotating so eyes are level.

(y)
:agree:

I actually really like the catch lights! I love the focus and light, but I agree that the crop mid forehead is distracting!

Back