Donnie's 52 2017 - Week 26,27,28 and all added!!!

Well caught, great lighting and just the right amount of milk in the glass. (y)

Hi Donnie,

Mineral - I agree with pretty much all of the comments, it's great to experiment and you pulled this off well :)
Whole - Another great shot. I've surprised at how well the splashes of milk have come out at only 1/200th of a second and no flash, I would have thought it needed a faster shutter speed, or flash. (y)

Hi Donnie,

Mineral - I agree with pretty much all of the comments, it's great to experiment and you pulled this off well :)
Whole - Another great shot. I've surprised at how well the splashes of milk have come out at only 1/200th of a second and no flash, I would have thought it needed a faster shutter speed, or flash. (y)

Cheers mate :) However, on the no flash issue it looks like you clicked through to the flickr shot and read the exif (which is why I show it) but you must not have read the description?

Whole Milk.
Shot with one bare off camera flash (Canon 540ez) positioned camera left using 2 pieces of black card to prevent spill onto background. Flash triggered via yongnuo triggers, power set at 1/128th.

If you use off camera flash exif wont tell you this, it will only show as used if you use on camera flash.;)

Cheers mate :) However, on the no flash issue it looks like you clicked through to the flickr shot and read the exif (which is why I show it) but you must not have read the description?

Whole Milk.
Shot with one bare off camera flash (Canon 540ez) positioned camera left using 2 pieces of black card to prevent spill onto background. Flash triggered via yongnuo triggers, power set at 1/128th.

If you use off camera flash exif wont tell you this, it will only show as used if you use on camera flash.;)

Guilty as charged.
So that's 100 lines of "I must pay more attention" for me then... ;)

That explains it then.
I don't use my flash much, and OCF even less, but the one I have posted on here reported flash (on fired).
Presumably it's dependant on what you're using to control the OCF

Week 7 - Structure

Structure by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

The theme is Structure and yes I'm a week later than planned but I'm not holding myself to any strict rules.

Anyway, I wasn't sure on how to approach the theme. I thought of something in a macro fashion, like the structure of an apple or similar. Or perhaps a close up abstract of a buildings structure.

However, the evening I took this was one of those days where it was raining one minute, sunny the next and I (and pretty much every photographer for 20 miles) know that Stevington Windmill is always a great landscape opportunity no matter the weather and time of year, so I just knew it would be a great long exposure shot, if the sun was just right as it set. Luckily for me, it was. I decided to go for the wide angle panoramic view to enhance the vastness of the landscape but keep the windmill structure on the left hand third.
Shot using tripod and a 10 stop ND Filter.

you certainly chose the right time and weather for it you have to suffer sometimes for right pic

Nice work ... I see Structure in the clouds and the windmill has Structure too. (y)

Structure shot is a winner, for sure. Love Whole and Mineral too, particularly the green glow through the Perrier bottle. Well done, Paul.

Week 8 - Routine

For this shot I've tried to evoke the routine of getting up to the sound of the alarm clock, I don't think you get much more routine than that?
Anyway, a new traditional looking alarm clock and a couple of books as props were necessary.
I then thought that a slightly slower shutter speed to show the blur in my hand coming down to stop the alarm would look good and invoke a sense of movement to the story.
To process it, I wanted to use a high key type effect and monochrome, mainly to be less distracting to the image.

Week 8 - Routine by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Brilliant Paul. :clap: Top idea, nicely staged, put together and processed. (y)

Got out of that Routine years ago :D

Nice concept and when I first looked at it I thought it was a giant hand coming to get you :eek:

Processing suits it too (y)

Week 9 - Number(s)

Week 9 - Number(s) by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

A very simple take on the theme and quite obviously the number(s) 5.
I didn't want anything too simple so took a little time with this to try and ensure that I got both 5's in as both are on two different faces of two different pillars and so this felt like a perfect time to use a shallow depth of field.
Additionally I like how the rain has added an extra depth to the surfaces as well as a lucky puddle and reflection. The sky is dull and grey, though you would expect that with it having rained. However, by not cropping too tightly and using the floor of the next car park level to contain it, I think the dull sky's framing is less distracting.

Great shot of the windmill as a silhouette, quite a dramatic sky.

That's a lie in for me, my alarm goes off at 4.55 am for day shift.

I like that you have got the number 5 twice in the frame, was there enough room

(y) to pull back a little or change the angle to get a reflection of the oof 5 in the puddle?

Hi Paul, like the shot for Number and also like Foggy's idea of including the reflection if it had been possible. But that's because I love reflections :D

I did try to get the reflection in too but there was no good angle to do it without doing it in portrait orientation which then looked even worse.

Here's 2 with the reflected 5 in with no processing and I think you'd agree that the wider shot loses impact.

Week 10 - Attractive

Week 10 - Attractive by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

The theme for this shot was Attractive and while pictures of glamourous women immediately sprang to mind, I always like to explore alternate meanings as I find it helps with my creativity.
To that end, magnets and their behaviour intrigued me and after some inspiration via google images I set on capturing a magnetic field. Unfortunately someone else had had the same idea which forced me to come at the same idea but shoot from a lower angle to show the 3d nature of the field.
Setting up was a simple matter of laying the magnet on a flat surface, an A4 clean sheet of paper and then gently shaking the iron filings onto the paper to get just enough to show the pattern of the magnetic field. This took about 5 or 6 attempts as I kept putting too much on and obscuring the lines too much.
Lighting was simple daylight from my patio windows and I used my lens on macro mode and set up on a tripod for stability as I wanted a reasonable depth of field and slower shutter speed.
I then converted the final image to black and white to enhance the filings against the plain background and enhance the shadowing at the nearest pole of the magnet.

Magnets and iron filings was my intial thought for this, but I couldnt get hold of them fast enough before someone else (you) beat me to it.

Great shot and nicely done, I like it.

Back