Don't know what Camera body to get next.

• Thread starter Deleted member 88563
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88563

I'm completely stuck on what camera body to purchase next. I shoot with a Canon 7D Mk II with a 300mm and a 70-200 and of course need to two camera bodies for both lenses.

I mostly shoot football and have been looking at; another 7D Mk II, 1D Mk IV and the 5D III (which I know isn't really the best for sports with the fps but image quality is great).

I would say my budget is about £700 and upto £850 at a push.

Let me know what I should consider.

I don't know about Canon cameras, but whichever make, buying used one the thing I would look at first was shutter actuations. That should be the main guide to go by. I personally would not buy with one above 15,000 shutter clicks as it still has plenty of life in it, but that is me.

Last edited:
Let me know what I should consider.

Frankly, I think you have narrowed it down pretty well. Seems only the 7D is the number. But, I must confess I am a little confused. You gave the primary reason why the 5D would not be viable. So, why have you posted the question? At your experience level you have to know what your particular needs are and what particulars in terms of camera fits your needs. So, I can't understand what you are expecting others to say.

Personally another 7D then you can have two cameras both with the same set up, that way you don't get mixed up when things get hectic.

Although the 5d is a great camera and you could use it for sport, as you can use any camera for any type of photography, as you correctly pointed out, the fps could mean you miss the shot you wanted, a 1d mk4 is a good choice, although the menu system is a little more complicated than the 7d or 5d,as there are often 2 buttons that need to be pressed.... If you just need a 2nd body, then the 7d is the logical one to get, but that's just my opinion

I don't know about Canon cameras, but whichever make, buying used one the thing I would look at first was shutter actuations. That should be the main guide to go by. I personally would not buy with one above 15,000 shutter clicks as it still has plenty of life in it, but that is me.

I wouldn't worry about shutter actuations.at all unless it was in the hundreds of thousands... 15 thousand is almost like new...

Not that I'm much of a sports shooter but I do have a FF and a 7Dii and I wouldn't really want to mix crop and full frame if for some reason you had to swap lenses from one body to the other.

I shoot some grass roots football and now use a 5D4. I did use a 7D2 and 5D3 at one time.

One of the things that I found annoying though I've never heard anyone else ever mention it, is that the exposure meter in the 7D2 and 5D3 (or 5D4) are in different places. It used to catch me out sometimes when I used both bodies. It's along the bottom in the 5D3/4 and along the side on the 7D2. So I'd be thinking my exposure was okay, when in fact I was looking at the exposure compensation meter on the 7D2.

I preferred the images from my 5D3, particularly if the ISO was creeping up (poor light or floodlights), and so I sold my 7D2.

I usually stick to the one lens now, 100-400 II on the 5D4, or 70-200 2.8 II if it's under floodlights. I have a Canon R which I can use if there are team shots or cup presentation shots needed... but I prefer to change to the 24-70 really as I'm much more familiar with the 5D4.

A few more fps would be nice, but I usually come home with far more photos than I need and I feel it's good enough for me. I switch batteries at half time to keep the fps up.

I don't shoot football, but I do shoot motorsports and also athletics - mass participation 5k, 10k races up to and including ultra marathons, and obstacle course races, sometimes in challenging light or weather conditions.

Currently use a 1DX2 and a 7D2 but before the 1DX2 was a 1D4 and before the 7D2 was a 7D. Its always the 1D camera I reach for first. The 7D2 is a fine camera but the 1D is 'finererer'...

I'm used to the button placement being slightly different and although the frames are a mixture of crop and FF, coupled with a combination of 100-400 L Mk II, 70-200 f2.8 II L and sigma 120-300 f2.8, should one body or one lens pack up for what ever reason, I'm covered.

Note that the 1D4 is no longer on CPS's priority repair service whereas 7D2 still is, if that sways your choice.

If you like the 7D2 then get another one - I've had one since they first came on the market and they are a very capable camera.

Having said that I've always preferred the feel and speed of all of the 1D series of cameras. A 1D4 is still a good buy at the right price and it's going to be a while yet before really cheap 1DXs are available. Mixing crop factors is a very handy thing when you're doing sports and can offer you great flexibility with the right mix of lenses.

What Kipax said.

Ignore this advice completely.

Canon1dmk4 unless you can afford a 1dx, I have used the 1d mk4 in conjunction with a Sigma 150-600 sport for motorcycle road racing with great results....Cheers Paul

That wouldn't and hasn't ever worried me. Best couple of bodies I've owned were D4's, bought bought with 100k+ count and both added a couple of hundred thousand more clicks each since then.
If budget is key, I'd be more interested in buying a used body with a reasonable shutter count from a source you can trust to answer questions honestly about it's working life, and one that's had a recent full documented service from Nikon/Canon/Sony.

Back