South-West England Dorchester, Dorset Area

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all new to the forum.

My name is Chris and I have just moved to Dorset after living abroad for a number of years. I am still getting used to the area and places to shoot. I wonder if anyone has any hidden gems they may want to share? Im primarily interested in shooting Landscapes.

I'll be the first to suggest Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door! In fact anywhere along the coast near Lulworth is good. I've also spent many wonderful hours photographing along the coast near Abbotsbury. Enjoy!

Hello Chris and welcome to TP.

Along with the above excellent suggestions about the coast have a look at the Purbeck Hills. They are line of inland hills strecthing from Lulworth to Swanage. Roughly in the middle is Corfe Castle which is worth a visit.

Other places -

Tynham - a village that was evacuated in the 1940s, I think, as it was within or close to Lulworth firing ranges and has been left untouched since then. It is open at various times of the year when the ranges are open.

The RSPB reserve at Arne

Brownsea Island

The Isle of Portland, Chesil Beach and Abbotsbury

Dave

Hi Chris, I'm based in Dorset and there is endless opportunities for Landscapes.

The obvious have been said Durdle Door and Lulworth. You have places such as Kimmeridge, Kingston Lacy, Golden Cap, Old Harry Rocks plenty of beaches and forests if that's your thing.

Why not pick up the excellent Photographing Dorset book from fotoVue. More than enough locations to keep you going for awhile.

Not linked to them just enjoy there books

Back