Dorin Eilean Castle

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,
Its been a few years since I used my camera but decided to have another go.
I took this a at the end of October on my way back from a trip to the Isle of Skye. I thought I would try using some filters on the camera to see how it would look.

thanks for looking and any comments are wlcome

19383-1512901938-a85e394727cd6aff7ca735fd7e087dde.jpg

I always thought it was Eilean Donan castle?

The castle is too overshadowed and the sky seems to be the centre of attraction.

The edit is much better.

Last edited:
I always thought it was Eilean Donan castle?

The castle is too overshadowed and the sky seems to be the centre of attraction.

The edit is much better.
Agree with all of the above. Eilean Donan needs a little boost in exposure to bring the detail out a little. Not too much as it's clearly in shadow, but at the moment it isn't a silhouette or have much detail and is kinda stuck in between.

Last edited:
The real problem for me with this is that it's suffered the graduated filter effect, where the density of the sky and land have been balanced with a grad that cuts across the midle of the castle giving it a dark top & light bottom, looking out of place against all the rest of the light stone in the image. The original image suffered this effect less than the second version where the foreground is tonally way out of line with the rest of the image. That's not to say it's not a 'nice' image - far from it - but this is the kind of situation that is better corrected in post than using a graduated filter, unless the camera is an older design with limited dynamic range.

I still prefer the 1st picture as its how I set out to take it. I used blue filter on the Loch to make it look as cold as it looked when I was there

I still prefer the 1st picture as its how I set out to take it. I used blue filter on the Loch to make it look as cold as it looked when I was there

It's your image and artistic vision, which explains why it also doesn't work for some of us.

I can understand you wanting to emphasise the cold but the water doesn’t match the sky which is basic stuff, as is the need to get the name of the location right. Other than that I wonder if you could’ve gone further forward to get cleaner reflections?

Back