Dorset Locations

Name
Gerald Davies
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm planning a trip to Dorset, Devon and Cornwall, roughly in a line from Burnham on Sea to Swanage, heading west, during the last 2 weeks of September and the final route and locations are still up in the air so looking for some ideas. It's a large area and I don't mind travelling, but looking to go to an area and stay there for 2 to 3 days before moving on.

I'm primarily looking for landscape/seascape locations, but would be great if I could tie these in with some minimalist photography or locations that could be photographed outside the golden hours, waterfalls, etc..

If you have any suggestions, please post below.

Thanking you in advance!!!

I've changed to Dorset only, from original title, as there's a lot of locations in a small and just more practical to forus on that area for a week.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPL
Two of possibly the most photographed landscape scenes in Britain are in Dorset fairly near Swanage: Durdle Door and Corfe Castle. Doesnt mean they're not worth visiting to take your own photos of though. Also Lulworth Cove near there and basically the entire purbeck/jurassic coast to have a go at!

Portland Bill another popular spot what with the lighthouse and pulpit rock and rocky shorelines there. Near there is Chesil beach, Abbotsbury swannery.

Im sure Devon and Cornwall also have their fair share of stunning locations but Im not so familiar with those.

Two of possibly the most photographed landscape scenes in Britain are in Dorset fairly near Swanage: Durdle Door and Corfe Castle. Doesnt mean they're not worth visiting to take your own photos of though. Also Lulworth Cove near there and basically the entire purbeck/jurassic coast to have a go at!

Portland Bill another popular spot what with the lighthouse and pulpit rock and rocky shorelines there. Near there is Chesil beach, Abbotsbury swannery.

Im sure Devon and Cornwall also have their fair share of stunning locations but Im not so familiar with those.

Thanks for your reply Keith.

It's always worth going to the popular spots, although they've been shot a million+ times. They've been shot that many times for a reason. I was also thinking of Swanage Old Pier. Am I right in saying that September would be to early for the mists around Corfe Castle?

I'm aware of Pulpit Rock, which would is right up my street. I'm guessing high tide would be the best time to visit?

Have you thought about the fotovue photography location books? They have books on both Dorest and Devon & Cornwall.

Forgotten about those. I was looking a discount code for them last week!! Oooppps May only concern is, how far does it wonder from the honeypot sites, which I'm likely already aware of?

Forgotten about those. I was looking a discount code for them last week!! Oooppps May only concern is, how far does it wonder from the honeypot sites, which I'm likely already aware of?

Went to Crrnwall last year armed with one of these books.... apart from Mousehole (which I expected to be loaded with tourists anyway) absolutely deserted, well worth the money.

I have the Fotovue books and they are excellent. Another option is to look at the landscape workshops run in the area just to see the places they list but in all honesty they are usually places listed in the Fotovue books.

Heartland Quay (North Devon Coast) is always popular with landscape photographers and is close to Cornwall border

Amazon can be a good place for them. The Devon and Cornwall book has more locations in Devon listed than Cornwall. The best information in them can be the parking information and ideas of when it’s best to visit locations. The best fotovue book I’ve found so far is the Peak District one, it’s huge and has plenty of less visited locations.

Any honeypot location can have quite a few landscape photographers. The problem can be you become one of many photographers taking the same photo. I was at Lands End in October half time and there was numerous photographers and drones buzzing around.

One area of Cornwall that is often missed is the Rame Head Peninsular. I intend to explore it more this year, some amazing seascapes and quiet fishing villages.

Last edited:
One area of Cornwall that is often missed is the Rame Head Peninsular. I intend to explore it more this year, some amazing seascapes and quiet fishing villagers.

Well, it used to be - until now! ;)

Went to Crrnwall last year armed with one of these books.... apart from Mousehole (which I expected to be loaded with tourists anyway) absolutely deserted, well worth the money.
Barry, I shall check out the book. Did have many a little of the beaten track locations?

Another option is to look at the landscape workshops run in the area just to see the places they list but in all honesty they are usually places listed in the Fotovue books.
Gordon, that is a good idea and something I had not thought off. I'll check them out, been keeping an eye Julian Baird channel on youtube as he's based in the Devon/Cornwall area.

Heartland Quay (North Devon Coast) is always popular with landscape photographers and is close to Cornwall border
Hi Adam. That's already on my list. Seen some interesting photographs come out of the Quay, and I'm sure I'll get a few poor weather days. Do you have any idea on the state of tide for the rocks to be used as foreground interest?

Whilst you're in Dorset Lyme Regis and the Cobb is worth a visit.
Wayne that is an interesting location. Guessing it works best at high tide?

Amazon can be a good place for them. The Devon and Cornwall book has more locations in Devon listed than Cornwall. The best information in them can be the parking information and ideas of when it’s best to visit locations. The best fotovue book I’ve found so far is the Peak District one, it’s huge and has plenty of less visited locations.

Any honeypot location can have quite a few landscape photographers. The problem can be you become one of many photographers taking the same photo. I was at Lands End in October half time and there was numerous photographers and drones buzzing around.

Rob, I'm looking at getting a 2nd copy of the book, to see what it has. Not to worried about the split of locations, just looking to make the most of the time. Honey pot sites are always the same and I don't mind sharping my elbows now and again, but one of the reasons I took up landscape photography was for the solitude!! I can see the value of drones as well and some great photographs are coming from the use of them. I just wish they were silent!!! lol

One area of Cornwall that is often missed is the Rame Head Peninsular. I intend to explore it more this year, some amazing seascapes and quiet fishing villages.

Roger, I've not heard of Rame Head and just done a quick search on it. Looks like some interesting photographs coming out of there. I'll add it to the list!! Any tips on the location?

Rob, I'm looking at getting a 2nd copy of the book, to see what it has. Not to worried about the split of locations, just looking to make the most of the time. Honey pot sites are always the same and I don't mind sharping my elbows now and again, but one of the reasons I took up landscape photography was for the solitude!! I can see the value of drones as well and some great photographs are coming from the use of them. I just wish they were silent!!! lol

You can use the ‘look inside’ feature on fotovues website. There is a map showing all of the recommended locations. The formatting is a bit off in the preview, but it gives an idea of the information in there.

https://www.fotovue.com/shop/books/photographing-cornwall-and-devon-including-dartmoor-and-exmoor/

I don’t mind drones, the buzzing is a little annoying if you are hoping for solitude but generally harmless. It’s their use in stupid places like known peregrine nesting locations that is hard to understand.

I think the Cobb is probably better at a higher tide but I got some decent shots - well I liked em at a lower tide.

With regards to Rame I was there today on our dog walk around there and Penlee Point. Not really any fishing villages though. Kingsand/Caswsand is quite nice as is Mount Edgcumbe and the Cremyll ferry from Plymouth. I'd be impressed if you came up with something original though.

Four Lanes near Redruth - or, rather, downhill of Four Lanes. It is on the edge of the main tin mining area - Wheal Bassett and South Francis have a lot of old mine steam engine houses in varying degrees of decrepitude.

Barry, I shall check out the book. Did have many a little of the beaten track locations?

Enough for me to look at where I had to go and think, "I'll empty some of this kit from my back-pack!" :)

You can use the ‘look inside’ feature on fotovues website. There is a map showing all of the recommended locations. The formatting is a bit off in the preview, but it gives an idea of the information in there.

https://www.fotovue.com/shop/books/photographing-cornwall-and-devon-including-dartmoor-and-exmoor/

I don’t mind drones, the buzzing is a little annoying if you are hoping for solitude but generally harmless. It’s their use in stupid places like known peregrine nesting locations that is hard to understand.

Just had a look at their website, the map has been usual. Need to investigate further investigation over the weekend. Thank you for that little tip Rob.

I agree with you about buzzing nests, etc.. as totally reckless behavior disturbing the birds.

I think the Cobb is probably better at a higher tide but I got some decent shots - well I liked em at a lower tide.

With regards to Rame I was there today on our dog walk around there and Penlee Point. Not really any fishing villages though. Kingsand/Caswsand is quite nice as is Mount Edgcumbe and the Cremyll ferry from Plymouth. I'd be impressed if you came up with something original though.

Thanks for that tip. I've looked through 500px and not seen any pics at low tide. Does the water totally recede from around the Cob at low tide? Used to the tidal range of the Severn estuary, which can be a little extreme ;-) so find it difficult to judge at other locations.

Being original when you're at a new and well known location is difficult and getting excellent conditions when you're visiting one day a year is like winning the lottery. All I can do is find good compositions for myself and hope for the best light when at the location.

Thanks for the tips on Rame Head and the other locations. I'll have a look at them later today.

Four Lanes near Redruth - or, rather, downhill of Four Lanes. It is on the edge of the main tin mining area - Wheal Bassett and South Francis have a lot of old mine steam engine houses in varying degrees of decrepitude.

Thanks for the Tips John. These would look good in changeable conditions.

Enough for me to look at where I had to go and think, "I'll empty some of this kit from my back-pack!" :)

Those locations are right up my street!!!

I remember walking into Svartifoss in Iceland. Not a long walk in, but you do climb a bit at the start of the walk. I'm at the car emptying my bag and there's 2 girls on the trip adding kit to their bag, right next to me. I did warn them, but they didn't listen. Anyway it was the girls turn to preparing food that night and for some reason I was last to get served. Not sure why, I did warn them? lol

There’s an excellent location for viewing the seals at Godrevey, probably a bit hit and miss whether they’ll be there, but there were a couple of hundred when I went a few weeks ago.
Thanks Susie. I'll keep this in mind, as good be a place to go during the day. I'll need to check out best times to see them and access.

It's always worth going to the popular spots, although they've been shot a million+ times. They've been shot that many times for a reason. I was also thinking of Swanage Old Pier. Am I right in saying that September would be to early for the mists around Corfe Castle?

I'm aware of Pulpit Rock, which would is right up my street. I'm guessing high tide would be the best time to visit?
While you can get the mist anytime of year, September is a really good month for it with the warm days and cooler nights.

Am I right in saying that September would be to early for the mists around Corfe Castle?

Nope, in fact the best Mist I've ever seen there was about 6 years ago in Early September!

Cornwall/Devon/Dorset is a huge area though....you could easily spend a couple of week sin each area and not see everything...

Nope, in fact the best Mist I've ever seen there was about 6 years ago in Early September!

Cornwall/Devon/Dorset is a huge area though....you could easily spend a couple of week sin each area and not see everything...

Thank you for confirming the mist in September. Wasn't really looking to add Corfe castle to list, due to time of year, but might change that.

I agree with you on it being a huge area and my route/schedule is not yet planned. I was looking to spend 3/4 days in an area before moving onto the next. Hopefully this will give me a chance of getting something and the option to return to locations should the weather change. I'm also researching locations that work in bad weather as well as good, i.e. Hartland Quay, hopefully this will allow me to get something should the conditions be changeable.

Seasons Point is a great location, accessible on foot along a path from Wembury Bay (also a good location in its own right)

This gives more detail, one of my favourite places anywhere, unusually for these hectic times no traffic noise
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/wembury/trails/wembury-bay-and-the-river-yealm-walk

Rich, I had Wembury point in my list and it does look. I've not heard of Seasons point, but it does look interesting. Thanks for the link.

Don't know how mobile you are, but walking up the River Dart valley, northward from Two Bridges should be a real eye-opener. Living as I do in Dartmouth, you get the best of river scenery plus the openness of Dartmoor itself.
Ray Fletcher
(joined today)

Rich, I had Wembury point in my list and it does look. I've not heard of Seasons point, but it does look interesting. Thanks for the link.

It is a lovely spot Gerald and the cliffs along the route are quite spectacular, view down on to the estuary at the end is very special.
When our daughter was young we used to rent a cottage which led straight on to the coastal footpath, well worth the 600 mile round trip from London

One clear summer morning I sat on top of the cliffs overlooking the estuary watching a lone small fishing boat head out to sea, no camera, but the image is still in my mind twenty or more years on

Last edited:
Wembury is ok at low tide. High tide is ok but most of the rocks and accessibility is restricted by the sea. I live 5 mins away. However head around the headland towards Plymouth and Heybrook Bay is gorgeous. Have a look at my Instagram I’ve photographed it many times with it just being around the corner of home www.instagram.com/mighty_blighty

Hope this helps

Don't know how mobile you are, but walking up the River Dart valley, northward from Two Bridges should be a real eye-opener. Living as I do in Dartmouth, you get the best of river scenery plus the openness of Dartmoor itself.
Ray Fletcher
(joined today)
Hi Ray
Thanks for the tip. Two bridges looks lovely. I take it there's a good path taking you into the moors following the river?

Back