Dorset

Name
mark
Edit My Images
No
Hi All

I had been planning to take a trip down dorset for well over a year. But somehow, work, holidays, and bad weather got in the way.

Sat In my home last night, I grabbed some essentials (and my camera) and set out on a 4 hour journey from the midlands. I arrived at portland lighthouse for 11:30pm and had a nose around with my flashlight.

It was too dark to get any really decent shots, so I got what I could and went to sleep. P.s, morrisons carpark is very peaceful in your car ;)

I woke back up at 4am and headed straight back down for sunrise shots. Greeted by two other photographers, we had a chat about the weather as a huge fog cloud had settled.

I set up undefeated and carried on. After there, I went to lulworth for the famous "durdle door". Feeling pretty tired on only 2 hours sleep (damn seagulls) I headed back at 10am this morning.

Here are my results

ND 10 stop
Nikon D810
Remote shutter and tripod
Nikkor 16-35 f/4

1. Taken at 6am, Portland

DSC_2085 border.jpg

2. Taken at 5:21am, Portland

DSC_2032-2 (2) border.jpg

3. Taken at 5:37am, Portland

DSC_2069 border.jpg

4. Taken at 6:30am, Portland

DSC_2109-2 border.jpg

5. Taken at 8am, Man o War

DSC_2117 border.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you @Mightyboosh . I must admit, sleeping in my van wasn't the best idea, as I struggled to find somewhere to park. Glad I did though :)

Not convinced on the processing on the first image, but the rest are ace. I love the third one, the clouds moving towards you really make it special. I think the fifth one is great too; I've been to Durdle Door many times (I live about 90 mins away) but haven't been to Lulworth Cove as much as I should.

Great set overall! You did superbly well to get so many keepers out of one morning!

couple of wonky horizons ( 5&7 ) but easy enough to sort (y) - not keen on 1 but the rest are great, no 3 being my favourite

Not convinced on the processing on the first image, but the rest are ace. I love the third one, the clouds moving towards you really make it special. I think the fifth one is great too; I've been to Durdle Door many times (I live about 90 mins away) but haven't been to Lulworth Cove as much as I should.

Great set overall! You did superbly well to get so many keepers out of one morning!

Thank you. I took roughly 130 Images, most of them time lapsed at around 120 seconds. Some weren't savable, but I got a decent amount out of them.

couple of wonky horizons ( 5&7 ) but easy enough to sort (y) - not keen on 1 but the rest are great, no 3 being my favourite

Thank you. Yeah, agreed they're easily saved (didn't look to be honest) haha.

Thank you again

As noted, the rendition of 1 and, IMO, 6 could
be toned down a tad.

You definitely show Dorset in a grandiose way! (y)

As noted, the rendition of 1 and, IMO, 6 could
be toned down a tad.

You definitely show Dorset in a grandiose way! (y)

Thank you, @Kodiak Qc.

I totally agree with number 1, as I took the shot and still had my 10 stop filter on (rookie error) . I tried to save it in LR, and failed miserably.

Number 6, ai will have a look at. Going to see about straightening the horizons too like mentioned about (virtual horizion on the d810 was used) :(

Hi Mark. Feel free to ignore... :D

#1 - As above, the PP is awful but there is a good composition in there if you remove the part of the building on the left. Have you any more you could work on?
#2 - Interesting viewpoint, I think a REALLY long exposure could have worked well here, the jurrasic nature of the outcrop would contrast well with the smooth water and apparent foggy sky.
#3 - Again, as above, the sky works well although the foreground is OOF/distorted which takes the edge off it for me. I'd also clone out the white splodge in the LH bottom corner.
#4 - Brilliant! I do feel like it has a lean on to the left though so I'd probably take a look at that but other than that it's a winner and would look good on the wall.
#5 - There is a halo on the RH cliff and it seems to lack a bit of contrast in the middle of the frame. Perhaps sea mist/spray?
#6 - Looks like a nice subtle bit of light, but again, some contrast seems to have gone array. Quite like the framing though, any with a slightly shorter exposure time?
#7 - Nice! Love the textures and the movement in the sky. Wonky horizon aside, it's a good mix of textures.

HTH's, like i said, feel free to tell me to STFU. :LOL:

Haha thanks for that @minnnt. I won't tell you to STFU as I'm still getting used to landscape photography.

All of those images were shot at f/16 on a nikon d810 with a 16-35 f/4 lens. I didn't get any longer or shorter exposures, as it was a random unplanned trip that night. 2 hours sleep didn't help either :LOL:

Pretty much everything @minnnt said, 3rd and 4th are my favourites.

For your information I'm pretty sure that is man o war bay, not lulworth cove?

Haha thanks for that @minnnt. I won't tell you to STFU as I'm still getting used to landscape photography.

All of those images were shot at f/16 on a nikon d810 with a 16-35 f/4 lens. I didn't get any longer or shorter exposures, as it was a random unplanned trip that night. 2 hours sleep didn't help either :LOL:

Glad you took it well. :D

I too was surprised when i found out Dorset and Devon were around 4 hours away when a friend said it the other week. I had it in my head that it was more like 6. It's certainly do-able and i have a few places down there that are on my list to shoot.

Keep at it mate. You going to the WRC this year?

Yeah, I always struggle to believe they're actuallt close. I think it was only in 2013 when I spent a week down there for work that I realised it haha. Yeah, I think I'm going although I'm not sure what stage yet. Looking for a zoom lens which will work. Just sold my 70-200 so thinking 150-600 next.

Cool. I'm gonna probably go for all 4 days this year. Really enjoyed it last year although not sure it will be the same if we don't get 3 years worth of rain in a day. It's October this year so the weather could be a little better. Having said that, it is Wales... :D

Hi Mark. Feel free to ignore... :D

#1 - As above, the PP is awful but there is a good composition in there if you remove the part of the building on the left. Have you any more you could work on?
#2 - Interesting viewpoint, I think a REALLY long exposure could have worked well here, the jurrasic nature of the outcrop would contrast well with the smooth water and apparent foggy sky.
#3 - Again, as above, the sky works well although the foreground is OOF/distorted which takes the edge off it for me. I'd also clone out the white splodge in the LH bottom corner.
#4 - Brilliant! I do feel like it has a lean on to the left though so I'd probably take a look at that but other than that it's a winner and would look good on the wall.
#5 - There is a halo on the RH cliff and it seems to lack a bit of contrast in the middle of the frame. Perhaps sea mist/spray?
#6 - Looks like a nice subtle bit of light, but again, some contrast seems to have gone array. Quite like the framing though, any with a slightly shorter exposure time?
#7 - Nice! Love the textures and the movement in the sky. Wonky horizon aside, it's a good mix of textures.

HTH's, like i said, feel free to tell me to STFU. :LOL:

@minnnt

#1 - Any better? this was shot with the sun behind the lighthouse, minutes after sunrise.

1.jpg

#2 - Too foggy when this was taken, literally no clouds in sight. Also, that was the only shot I took at that focal length :( . Here's the colour image of it.

2.jpg

#3 - White splodge removed :)

3.jpg

#4 - Now level and for sale in all good IKEA stores near you haha.

4.jpg

#5 - Shooting direct into sunlight

7.jpg

5.jpg

#7 - Edited, although again, the clouds were bad on the morning of these photo's. not sure if it can be saved anymore? It's now showing as really black on left side on my laptop :(

6.jpg

Back