Double mount effect around an image.

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone please advise how I can get an effect that looks like a double mount around an image? I've seen it done on images posted on Flickr and, to me it looks quite effective. I know it's not to everyone's taste though.

I've played around by increasing the canvas size and adding two lots of light grey lines with the Stroke tool but it looks just like "grey lines". The ones I've seen do actually look like bevelled mounts, one even has the outer mount with a slight mottled finish to it but that's for later.

Mogrify plug-in for Lightroom.

Select all, image, canvas size, increase the canvas size by 1cm, make sure colour is white, enter, deslect.
Control A (select all) again, edit, stroke, select black colour, 8px size, inside, deselect.
Back to canvas size, add a white border again, then back to edit stroke and add another black stroke, line around the image.
I have just gone through the process to make sure it works for you, but you will have to change the size of the canvas when extending it, and the thickness of the stroke, to suit your image and desired final image size.
Also choose the colour of the canvas extension (usually white) and the colour of the stroke.
Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the help. I managed to contact the owner of the photo I had seen the double mount/mat used on and she kindly pointed me in the direction of Ian Barber at Digital Black and White who made the Photoshop actions she used.

Although it can't be seen from the photo below, there is another, wider border around the two you see here on TP and, when viewed zoomed in on Photoshop there is a really good bevelled edge look and some hint of a dropped shadow. The outer mount/mat also has a very slight mottled effect to it.

Chrome Hill 222 by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Middleton Top by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'll see what I can do later..

But basically you build it up in an export preset using borders. If you look at most of the images I share they have either a white background (two all-around borders, wide white and narrow grey) or are letterbox (one border to top and bottom edges only, black) and everything is done automatically by my export presets.

What Mike wants to do would be three or four borders applied.

Last edited:
Back