Double sided tape for mounting

Name
Kerry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I am after some double sided tape for mounting and know that there is a product out there that has a slightly less sticky side which will allow me to reuse the mounts should I want to - does anyone know the name as I can't find it, or alternatively have any better suggestions. Thanks

I have yet to come across a double sided tape that has a high tack permanent glue on one side and a low tack (removable/repositionable) glue on the other. But bear in mind that all glues "go off" i.e. what was a repositionable glue today may not 'release' in a month or two time as freely as it did when you first used it. Plus and this mainly might be pointed at cheaper tapes.........glue can bleed so the permanent glue can bleed and mean the edge in stuck down.

Just found this downloadable tape buying guide but I have not looked at it
https://www.technibond.co.uk/Contact-Us/Tape-Buyers-Guide-Request-Page

Last edited:
Hi, I am after some double sided tape for mounting and know that there is a product out there that has a slightly less sticky side which will allow me to reuse the mounts should I want to - does anyone know the name as I can't find it, or alternatively have any better suggestions. Thanks

Do it properly and use self adhesive mount board or foam board comes in various sizes will make a better job, rather than a diy botchit with bits of sticky tape.
Lion picture framing supplies in Birmingham, think thats their location, are your friends for this task.

Here you go link below
https://www.lionpic.co.uk/

Last edited:
I have yet to come across a double sided tape that has a high tack permanent glue on one side and a low tack (removable/repositionable) glue on the other. But bear in mind that all glues "go off" i.e. what was a repositionable glue today may not 'release' in a month or two time as freely as it did when you first used it. Plus and this mainly might be pointed at cheaper tapes.........glue can bleed so the permanent glue can bleed and mean the edge in stuck down.

Just found this downloadable tape buying guide but I have not looked at it
https://www.technibond.co.uk/Contact-Us/Tape-Buyers-Guide-Request-Page

Thanks Box Brownie i'll take a look.

Do it properly and use self adhesive mount board or foam board comes in various sizes will make a better job, rather than a diy botchit with bits of sticky tape.
Lion picture framing supplies in Birmingham, think thats their location, are your friends for this task.

Here you go link below
https://www.lionpic.co.uk/

Thanks quietman i'll take a look at their website

I use photo corners.

No need to stick anything on the print.
Just leave a little room for the print to breath. ie don’t push the corners on too tight.

Thanks ecoleman, I did buy some corners so will pull them out and use them.

@Kernowgirl
Out of curiosity, just how big are the prints and how are they going to be displayed i.e. in an album, a frame, mounted in an aperture mount with a bevel edge???

@Kernowgirl
Out of curiosity, just how big are the prints and how are they going to be displayed i.e. in an album, a frame, mounted in an aperture mount with a bevel edge???

They are either on 8 x 10 or A4 and mainly for camera club competitions at present - which means that they have to be in an aperture mount (40 x 50) trying to master the bevel edge!
Framing I find easier!

@Kernowgirl Hi Kerry,

I see. I have read elsewhere that photo corners are more aimed at smaller prints......................though I gather they are also used by museums for archival jobs when using aperture mounts, in that nothing (assuming you have used Mylar or PP [inert/acid free materials] ) injurious is in contact with the picture but I have never tried them.

What I do is use (like you are planning) an aperture Mat and a backing board but I use what is called "T-hinging" to attach the picture. This has been covered many times hereabouts and I posted here about T-hinging the videos I found & embedded are a guide to the method but I use a slight variation (that I found way back) in that I measure for fit of my prints with borders and T-hinge them to the aperture Mat that does not rely on eyeball positioning. I hope you find that useful and it helps to get the look you are looking for?

PS other than a dabbling of cutting my own bevels over 20 years ago..........................I now buy cut mounts as needed (custom sizes of cut if required).

PPS mine, other than a few from a long while ago, are not for club comps but for exhibition and all being well sales ;)

Last edited:
@Box Brownie Hi Laurence,

Many thanks for the links they were very useful, I will be looking at pre cut mounts, as my attempts so far have been less than clean cuts, although practice makes perfect - allegedly :D
Not sure I will ever get to the exhibition stage but would be nice to hang a couple of my own images at home.

Thanks again

For showing at the photography group I’m a member of, I put photo corners on a backing board which I hinge mount to a window mount. This means I can easily re-use every month. I also do this for my exhibitions for the same reason. I tend to buy pre-cut mounts from Cotswold Mounts or cut my own for unusual sizes or prints bigger than A3.

Back