DPD couriers

Dangermouse

Squeaky Clean
Edit My Images
No
Just been watching my delivery on the app map and was thinking, who the hell routes these guys, my delivery was number 39 yet number 3 was in the next street, but the van went out of town to number4 which was 4 miles away, then he drove past my house onto number 5 which was about 2 miles the opposite direction, this went on all morning and I was actually laughing when he turned up 2 hrs later.
I asked him who set his route and he wasn't happy, he says that ever since DPD allowed customers to set a 1hr time preference it has put ALL deliveries back by up to 2 hours, he used to finish at 11am on Saturdays but now he is lucky to be home before 6pm and he still only earns the same money yet spends more on fuel adhering to his scheduled drops, I reckon this will give DPD who are superb couriers a bit of a bad rep in time.

I was talking to a DPD guy a few weeks ago about this very problem, seems that even if he had time to drop something off between calls
if they go out of sync they are penalised for it and could lose their jobs, how stupid is that.

DPD: don't p***ing deliver.

I've had them post a photo of my front door whilst I have been sat at home waiting for the delivery only to be told I wasn't in. There have been other problems I've had with them in the past too.

I always cringe when I see something I want to purchase and then find out they are the 'preferred courier '

I've had them post a photo of my front door whilst I have been sat at home waiting for the delivery only to be told I wasn't in. There have been other problems I've had with them in the past too.

I always cringe when I see something I want to purchase and then find out they are the 'preferred courier '
Odd, they're generally considered one of the best ones. Maybe it's specific issue to your depot, or driver.

Could be that the driver has particular deliveries and/or uplifts to make in guaranteed timeslots in which case everything else on his round will have to fit around that.

Our DPD drivers are great. Always close to the start of the promised time slot and only ever had one item turn up damaged (and that was something that I've also bought in Tesco only to find exactly the same damage.) Amazon logistics seem to be the worst - no clue given as to delivery time other than (possibly) the date, items left under a bush beside the front door despite there being a note to leave them in a cupboard beside the front door and to drop the key through the box and deliveries to us but for a different address (but that also happens with normal mail when our usual postie's on holiday), either wrong number, right road or right number but the next road down (or even further afield!)

Hate Amazon Logistics with a passion.

Have had stuff left by front door in full view of the street.

The last month I have had to send 6 items back due to damage, all delivered by Amazon logistics.

The problem for (nearly) all couirers is they are basically on commission (in one form or another) so whilst you may get some that are conscientious you will also get the I don't give a sh!t ones. I have good service from most at one time or another and crap service from the same company.

Their is one regular courier who is very good at leaving parcels with neighbours etc, but they all stink of smoke.

...my delivery was number 39 yet number 3 was in the next street, but the van went out of town to number4 which was 4 miles away, then he drove past my house onto number 5 which was about 2 miles the opposite direction, this went on all morning and I was actually laughing when he turned up 2 hrs later....
Probably deliveries which have a "premium" service level. DPD have three service levels: any time before about 18:00, before 12:00, and before 10:30. On my account the pre-1200 service costs 30% more than the basic service, and the pre-1030 service costs about 100% more. Other senders will have different tariffs depending on volume etc but I would expect the ratios between the prices to be similar. In my experience DPD really do prioritise the "premium" services, and as I understand it the drivers are scheduled to deliver all of the 1030s, then all of the 1200s, and only then start on the "basic" ones. That might mean driving past your door a couple of times but they'd rather do that than jeopardise the premium services.

...he says that ever since DPD allowed customers to set a 1hr time preference it has put ALL deliveries back by up to 2 hours...
Unfortunately he doesn't know what he's talking about. Customers can't choose their 1-hour time slots. The slots are allocated by the DPD scheduling systems.

Last edited:

Really.............must be just your area then as DPD are regarded as the very best through out the UK and always deliver 110% for me, I just feel sorry for these guys having this ridiculous thing put onto them

Probably deliveries which have a "premium" service level. DPD have three service levels: any time before about 18:00, before 12:00, and before 10:30. On my account the pre-1200 service costs 30% more than the basic service, and the pre-1030 service costs about 100% more. Other senders will have different tariffs depending on volume etc but I would expect the rations between the prices to be similar. In my experience DPD really do prioritise the "premium" services, and as I understand it the drivers are scheduled to deliver all of the 1030s, then all of the 1200s, and only then start on the "basic" ones. That might mean driving past your door a couple of times but they'd rather so that than jeopardise the premium services.

Unfortunately he doesn't know what he's talking about. Customers can't choose their 1-hour time slots. The slots are allocated by the DPD scheduling systems.

He is our regular delivery driver and does know exactly what is going on, and looking at the map and watching him drive around our town, I think he is correct, the big cheese that pays him has put silly unachievable tolerances on the drivers that do a superb job for the DPD brand needs to lose his job...............not the drivers because they cant make the new delivery slots, the guy is or was an idiot putting hour slots in, in the first place, he is now relieved of his position and rightly so, let the drivers route their rout as they know the best and fastest way

I’ve always found DPD to be very good. Most of the couriers that deliver to me are pretty good now. In the past I had a £3,500 bicycle left outside my front door, luckily a neighbour took it in for me.

He is our regular delivery driver and does know exactly what is going on,
How can I change my 1 hour delivery slot?
  • You can't change your timeslot but you can still get your parcel.
  • We can leave your parcel somewhere safe at the delivery address, deliver it to your neighbour, drop it off at your local shop or change the delivery date provided the sender has not instructed us to get a signature.
  • Enter your reference number and postcode on this page to see your options.

... let the drivers route their rout as they know the best and fastest way
Absolutely. Throw away the company's unique technological advantage and the feature which their customers rate most highly. Yep, that makes sense.

At work we keep being asked why our couriers technology lags behind the dpd experience. Their customer side experience is simply the benchmark in the industry these days and as stewartR says is driven by their technology. The drivers are just passengers to it.

Most of the problems are down to your local delivery guy. Hermes usually get a lot of complaints nationally but the delivery guy we have is excellent, likewise DPD are very good here. The worst locally is UPS: my wife had some flowers sent by a friend last week. The friend told me she'd had a text telling her no one was in but they'd left the flowers in a safe place and put a card through our door. We were in, the driver didn't ring the doorbell, there was no card and the flowers were just dumped on the doorstep!

Put me down in the DPD are ace camp. Would have all my stuff delivered by them if I had the choice.

I'm not using Amazon (unless one day delivery to a collection point) or any retailers/sellers who use Hermes due to bad experiences.

I'm firmly in the pro-DPD camp, I have always found them to be nothing short of fantastic and rejoice every time I get a notification that they will be making the delivery, that said I actually cannot remember the last time I had a bad delivery experience with any provider and I include some of the regular bad ones like yodel or Hermes

Sometimes I wonder if some don't have slightly unrealistic expections of couriers

Since we moved back to Yorkshire from Down South all couriers without exception are excellent. The DPD driver always gives me a wave if he passes me in the street, and the Hermes driver lives just down the road. So it appears to me that, in the main, good service is down to driver attitude.

Nearly every delivery service used to be shocking in our little town, but every single one is now excellent in my experience. All the new drivers that deliver here are great, and most know the people who regularly receive parcels and where they would like stuff left. The amazon and DPD drivers that deliver to me even know which neighbours don't like us at our house and avoid leaving our parcels with them! :LOL:

Nearly every delivery service used to be shocking in our little town, but every single one is now excellent in my experience. All the new drivers that deliver here are great, and most know the people who regularly receive parcels and where they would like stuff left. The amazon and DPD drivers that deliver to me even know which neighbours don't like us at our house and avoid leaving our parcels with them! :LOL:

Brilliant :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'm quite pleased so say all my neighbors like me though I could have gone off one mine last year when I agreed to take the delivery from the courier on their behalf because he'd knocked and they were out, only to find out it was a double bed after agreeing to take the delivery :cautious::jawdrop:

Brilliant :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'm quite pleased so say all my neighbors like me though I could have gone off one mine last year when I agreed to take the delivery from the courier on their behalf because he'd knocked and they were out, only to find out it was a double bed after agreeing to take the delivery :cautious::jawdrop:

Haha. I had similar a few months ago, but it was a load of large rattan style garden seating. At least I didn't need to bring it inside, so it stayed on the drive in the rain! :D

Haha. I had similar a few months ago, but it was a load of large rattan style garden seating. At least I didn't need to bring it inside, so it stayed on the drive in the rain! :D

Thankfully I have I guess what could be considered a fairly large porch and this parcel took up about 1/2 of it :LOL: :p

Back