DPI reduction on upload

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently uploaded a jpeg image to DS Colour Labs, exported from LR at 300dpi. When it uploaded the website software said it was at 197dpi. I can't work out why this would be, anyone got any ideas? I tried this twice and the same thing happened. Hopefully it will print at A2 at a decent enough quality.

cheers

200 ppi should be fine for A2.

LR will ignore dpi settings if you specify resolution in pixels, so if you say (for example) that you want a 6000x4000 px image it will do that and ignore whatever you set in dpi.
Also make sure you have nothing set in jpeg quality or file size limitations.

At the end of the day though, 200 ppi should be fine.

DPI or PPI means nothing without knowing the pixel dimensions of what you uploaded!

The inference of your post is that the DCS altered the resolution to "make" your pixel dimensions fit the print size.

A digital file has no PPI.

A 3000px wide image printed 10" wide is 300ppi.

The PPI you are being shown, is the PPI at the selected print size. Pixel width of image / width in inches = PPI.

Looking at it, it looks like the original file is about 4800 x 3200 pix so hopefully it will print OK.

thanks all.

Looking at it, it looks like the original file is about 4800 x 3200 pix so hopefully it will print OK.

thanks all.

To put it in perspective, a 42" 4K TV is approx 100ppi

You look at bigger images from further away so can get away with it being lower.

To put it in perspective, a 42" 4K TV is approx 100ppi

You look at bigger images from further away so can get away with it being lower.

Cheers, this is just one aspect (excuse the pun) I've not really got in to, in too much depth - makes perfect sense once it's explained.

thanks all.

All the above 'informs' that at 197ppi you will a decent print provided you are not viewing it from too closely (I long recall being told to avoid the squaline test, when viewing prints ;) )

Also, do consider that what they will print will not be exactly A2 size due to a ratio difference. Your file is 1:1.5 and A2 is 1:1.4

All the above 'informs' that at 197ppi you will a decent print provided you are not viewing it from too closely (I long recall being told to avoid the squaline test, when viewing prints ;) )

Also, do consider that what they will print will not be exactly A2 size due to a ratio difference. Your file is 1:1.5 and A2 is 1:1.4

Cheers, yep the website software showed me where the crop would be so i'm happy that it won't be exact.

Well, the image arrived. Printed to A2 and is absolutely fine even up very close, so i'm very happy with that.

Back