Dragonflies and nymph casing

Name
Emma
Edit My Images
Yes
I spent a happy couple of hours on holiday in Zakynthos chasing these lovely dragonflies. Actually they were pretty happy to stay in one place in the morning sun, which was probably why I had more luck than at home! I'm guessing the last picture is a nymph casing - I couldn't believe how unbroken and perfect it was.

dragonfly 3 by Em Jay, on Flickr
  • Nikon D3200
    70.0-300.0 mm f/4.0-5.6
  • ƒ/8.0
  • 300.0 mm
  • 1/400

Last edited:
Great shots of dragonfly. I chased a pair about yesterday but they were a bit too active for me to get a good shot.

Really beautiful shots. The first one is definitely my favorite, probably because of the color palette. The orange and blue have such a nice contrast, really makes your focal pop. Never seen a dragon fly like that before, very pretty creature, nice job capturing it!

lovely pics

love the lighting on the first two

aye, very nice shots. Haven't even seen one this year :(

The nymph case isn't a dragonfly, more like a cicada I think.

The dragonfly looks like a Yellow-winged Darter.

I got to agree on the shots, all really good and a lovely BG you got with them too, especially the 1st one.
You beat me to it :( yes its a Cicada shell, Cicada are those things you can hear when walking/driving or whatever, they rub their wings or legs or something and make all that racket, quite hard to see them against the tree bark as they have amazing camoflage.

I got to agree on the shots, all really good and a lovely BG you got with them too, especially the 1st one.
You beat me to it :( yes its a Cicada shell, Cicada are those things you can hear when walking/driving or whatever, they rub their wings or legs or something and make all that racket, quite hard to see them against the tree bark as they have amazing camoflage.

Aha...thank you both so much - exactly the reason I love posting shots here. There were so many cicadas out there - the noise was quite deafening at times, and you're right, they were so hard to spot.

Back