Dragonflies - Communal Thread

Edit My Images
No
Can I suggest that we start a "communal" thread for Dragonflies and Damselflies as a number of us are interesting in them and it would be nice to have them in one thread to help with IDs etc., especially between mature and immature males and females - and if any of us get the ID wrong we can correct it

I'll start it off, it can be an image that you have posted before and maybe post a maximum of one a day from each of us to give everyone a chance.……… if you think that it is a good idea post away

a brief description may help

Broad-bodied Chaser, (Libellula depressa) …….. I think that it is a mature female ……. but could be wrong

Taken in "the vines" near us in SW France

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh go on then, I'll play :p

I'm told this is a Common Darter (Notus a clueus) and that it's an immature female.

Nikon D7100, Nikkor 55-200 lens @200mm, F/8, ISO400, 1/200, single point AFS, matrix metering, late evening light, +2 EV exposure compensation, onboard flash turned right down to just give some fill as I couldn't be bothered to go dig out my speedlight.

Immature Female Common Darter Dragonfly
by Ian-Highlander, on Flickr

Last edited:
nice black and yellow legs, Ian

The book I use is "Field Guide to the Dragonflies of Britain and Europe" by Klaas-Douwe B Dijkstra

if anyone is interested

Les - The Four-spotted Chaser looks like a mature female to me

Last edited:
Four Spot Chaser

DSC06151 by lesmoxonphotography, on Flickr

Sony a77 + Sigma 150-500mm

shot at 500mm f11 @ 1/350th sec ISO 200, hand held

Les ;)
Lovely shot Les (the first one you posted was too) ;)

How the hell do you manage to get such amazing shots of Dragons at the 500mm end of a Sigma 150-500? I can't even get close to that quality with mine, gave up and just use the 18-105 kit lens or 55-200 and get a lot closer to the dragons.

Lovely shot Les (the first one you posted was too) ;)

How the hell do you manage to get such amazing shots of Dragons at the 500mm end of a Sigma 150-500? I can't even get close to that quality with mine, gave up and just use the 18-105 kit lens or 55-200 and get a lot closer to the dragons.

I use at least f8 to f11 and push the ISO to get the fastest possible shutter speed, like this one I called Brother in Arms or Wing Man

I do have 105mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 I some times use

Brothers in Arms by lesmoxonphotography, on Flickr

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Think I need to fine tune my Sigma 150-500, it seems to produce some nice shots but they're few and far between, even when I think I've got it spot on.

I've got a shot of two on a bush somewhere, haven't processed it yet, will have to dig it out and post it later.

It was hard at first- the Sigma is capable of producing usable close ups, remember the mi focus is around the 10ft mark, I tend to shoot from at least 15 feet if I can

Hers one from 20ft with a 50% crop

DSC06166 by lesmoxonphotography, on Flickr

Some beauts on here so far, dont think I'll be able to contribute but I will enjoy looking at them :)
Shame you're not closer Carl, could pretty much guarantee you the chance to shoot several Dragonflies at the moment in my back garden, we're getting loads of them. I find I've already got a bit bored of photographing them and just sit and watch them mainly now :)

I thought that I would post the following - I have taken it from the web - I hope that it is OK - from UK Dragonflies site

http://www.ukdragonflies.uk/index.php?spage=Azur-Common-Variable-Southern

Courtesy of P.D.Winter and all credits and thanks to that gentleman

They always confuse me in the Field - Hope it helps

It shows the major features that can assist in the identification of the more frequently occurring Blue Damselflies.
From left to right : Southern Damsel, Azure Damsel, Variable Damsel & Common Blue Damsel.

ID_Blue_Chart.jpg

Last edited:
Violet Dropwing (Trithemis annulata) - mature male

local lake

colours are very light dependant - different times of days, type of light and different Dragonflies

and probably level of maturity

VDW.jpg

VDW_2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks John, from the chart in post #16 the first one looks like a Common Blue Damselfly and the second one a Brown Hawker as in #18

Last edited:
Thank you :)

Threads like this always make me want to go and splash on a longer lens :confused:

You do not have to spend a lot of money on a good 300mm, quite the reverse ……… a lot of guys use a zoom and most use MF and there is a lot of old glass around that is good ……… with Dragons you do not need a macro lens if fact you will get far more keepers with a 300mm on a tripod, IMHO of course

Thank you :)

Threads like this always make me want to go and splash on a longer lens :confused:
Most of my Dragon shots have been taken on an Nikkor 18-105 kit lens, a few on a Nikkor 55-200 but most on the second smallest lens I own (the 18-105). You tend to find once they settle if you go steady, you can get really close to them and they'll just stay there.(y)

Yours truly taking Dragon shots (as taken by Amy) 18-105 fitted.

Ian
by amyappleton21, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips - ill have another trip to the pond i snapped these at and sit and wait :D

you will find that if you see one perched, when you get near it …… it will fly away ……. then when you are still it will come back seconds later …… just sit there are you will get near it after one or two goes

they generally come back to the same perch quite a number of times, (most common species that is)

Taken today on my 150-500 Sigma (post fine-tune this morning, still not convinced it's quite right).

Can anyone ID this one for me? It was more than twice the size of all the others I normally take shots of that were flying around all over the place, not seen one of these before, it was a big bugger.

1/250 F/10 ISO400 @500mm

Southern Hawker Dragonfly
by Ian-Highlander, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back