Dragonflies - Communal Thread

Hi Tom. Yes it is an Emerald. While it does have a blue tail, you can see that it rests with wings partly open. A Blue-tailed will rest with them closed.

Beautiful eyes, like wee glass baubles

Migrant Hawker male

bit of a dull day - so pushed up in processing

Mig_H.jpg

Maybe a tip for Dragonfly shooters

The Ig Nobel prizes have just been handed out, (spoofs of the real Nobel awards)

Physics Prize - Gabor Horvath and colleagues, for discovering why white-haired horses are the most horsefly-proof horses, and for discovering why dragonflies are fatally attracted to black tombstones

Loads of fabulous images in this thread, hope mine are up to scratch. Any tips/critique gratefully received.

Hi Jon (@JayJay)

#1 Male Southern Hawker - good sharpness along his body and excellent bokeh. Let down by the angle of view which looks a little awkward.

#2 Male Common darter - Abdomen oof at the end, and again slightly awkward angle. Side on or head on shots are (IMHO) always best.

#3 - Male Migrant Hawker - great inflight shot with good wing blur to show the motion. You don't need me to tell you that the green reed is very distracting. Unfortunately you can't easily clone it out because the it passes over the wing.

Hope these help.

From a couple of years ago at Brockholes nature reserve in Lancashire, I was thrilled to get these two in the same frame2017-05-04_04-49-07.jpg

Back