Dragonflies - Communal Thread

Not seen a single dragon yet this year. Might go hunting for them this week now the sun's finally returned after a gloomy few weeks.

Last Thursday, 21 June, saw these two locally.
1. Common Hawker Ovipositing
20062-1529835466-548f7ebfed340baeb42e09d9bb1ae6af.jpg

These are not uncommon around where I live in Lincolnshire. This one was quite a way out from the bank of the pond and I did not have my most appropriate lens available for the shot - it was taken with a Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD[IF] MACRO. Its a superb lens for macro work, but not really the best choice at this distance! Also I have to give credit to my wife who spotted this one and called me along to get the picture.

2. Scarce Chaser
20063-1529835482-7987400e4dcb72c915276cd49a240038.jpg

Now this one is much less common and I was surprised to see it as it as I had not seen one in that area, about 1km from my home, for about 2 years.

Have to agree with others, though, dragonflies, as well as butterflies, have been seldom seen this year.

Here are four dragonflies and damselflies from today. These are from Culvderthorpe in Lincolnshire.

4 Spotted Chaser Libellula quadrimaculata
dragon-7.jpg

4 Spotted Chaser Libellula quadrimaculata

dragon-8.jpg

Black-tailed Skimmer Orthetrum cancellatum
dragon-5.jpg

4 Spotted Chaser Libellula quadrimaculata which has been fighting with too many competitors.
dragon-6.jpg

Common Blue Damselfly Enallagma cyathigerum and Red-eyed Damselfly Erythromma najas, both preparing to mate.

dragon-4.jpg

Last edited:
We went to Rimac in Lincolnshire yesterday - primarily for Bestbeloved's birds - but I caught a few dragons. I would appreciate a name for the yellow one. I think it is a female but far from sure and my guide is not up to the job. the others I know.
dragon.jpg
Common Blue Damselfly
dragon-4.jpg
Four Spotted Chaser
dragon-3.jpg
Ruddy Darter (or is it?)
dragon-2.jpg

Thank you, jannyfox. My guide has four species which look exactly the same ( I am using a simple Aidgap guide from the Field Studies Council).

We went to Rimac in Lincolnshire yesterday - primarily for Bestbeloved's birds - but I caught a few dragons. I would appreciate a name for the yellow one. I think it is a female but far from sure and my guide is not up to the job. the others I know.

looks like a female Ruddy Darter to me

Yep, could be that too.

??

Look at the markings, plus the black legs and the pointed vulvar scale = Female Ruddy Darter

compare these with the Common Darter and the Vagrant Darter, which is rare in the UK

Female Ruddy Darter
Ruddy_fm.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the information, Bill. I'm afraid the details you offer are a bit beyond my dilettante standards.
??

Look at the markings, plus the black legs and the pointed vulvar scale = Female Ruddy Darter

compare these with the Common Darter and the Vagrant Darter, which is rare in the UK

Female Ruddy Darter
Ruddy_fm.jpg

??

Female Ruddy Darter
Ruddy_fm.jpg
Hi Bill

If you look up the page you will see I posted under your original post a Common Darter is it in fact a Ruddy Darter? It looks very similar to your post.
I got another one on the same day
IMG_3599-2.jpg
Stuck between Ruddy, Common and Vagrant Darter

Thanks
Martin

Dragonflies and Damselflies aren't something i've really given much consideration too before but a new 105mm macro lens has started me pointing the camera at our smaller wildlife recently. No idea what these are apart from being Damselflies of one type or another. Willing to be educated!

Damselfly 1
Damselfly by Ian Taylor, on Flickr

Damselfly 2

Damselfly 3

Its Orthetrum cancellatum (Black-tailed Skimmer). Libellula fulva (Scarce Chaser) has prominent black bases to the hind pair of wings and less black at the abdominal tip (only last 2 and a bit segments). It is also generally a shorter and broader shape typical of a Libellula.

Do you pre focus in the general area they are flying and trust your timing, and a little bit of luck?
Pre focus on something a similar distance to where it is patrolling then just tweak when it is your sights. I usually do one shot rather than high frames per sec as otherwise you do get hundreds of binned shots. Most Hawkers have a pretty predicable flight pattern the main exception is the Brown Hawker who go all over so don't start with one of those.

I got a chance to have a go at this for the first time this weekend when i spotted a dragon fly and i had camera in hand.

It was a fleeting 15 minute attempt which i found frustrating as my camera refused to focus on the dragon fly multiple times which was momentarily stationary in front of me (i was trying to predict its stationary spots).

I had pre focused, was using afc, single center spot, also tried group af, and the camera (D500) simply refused to focus on the dragon fly when it was under the focus spot. Releasing and pressing the af button again multiple times it was adamant it wasnt going to budge.

In the end I managed to get a few shots I was happy with for the little time I had.

lqk5S3NEMwKj6YzeH3-1YXpF9P-TMRmuta7IkitPq1vX1VPwwmPrw37B3Wz2Mjbi1I508wwX5BF3ld_LXC680FcrsJ-rWcz_t34XmSJnEWwXSJFI2dQ618TX8TEHi2Dhw67wEyrDwaw_F22XAMhtZJzxPupck2v5ws5vfGbwEiK5mrga7Jveoe5qE7sWzyybZQqeAHaatDxXLGMCfJ4ykGdu1RXocqcJzyWbMLVnSWy7kVDqHuCm5sx5w7gvBDKfTxxbXhuAKHK1xIkkUIQ2aD9E1dBcDYrcc03DJuKHAIh8xHNsyIxBeVddR5orLhSVWE-xqiET7aeQsk_J-tBtmdtQdC-eg-j1GcPNi3WJR8K7H8LzANee3Zok7y7cFfemHxIBN8eIBTMCkpM9pEpFpU7vfQ8mjJusV4wwV7vd_bMqn0xpccKsx-s3K7jyqwh3Zlkz5w5nxW9PaOgX4aIadMiayxsY52b8lws-CWrai-caoNcyMEaVzMrjfD2pKnz9f4oF-kc0XEc3QdkGvbhkWDGV3IJ0qRAc5bwh44u142qVgzznXPEigmHyMRNNQ2mTxor61otDFQKlsGMr3lC2LspJU4Bke3e5MX2YI5ph=w1477-h984-no

_DMtiZqA2fpguXHYFel0cnw7SnS2CtqS3otw5fVZX1ely4miX5DvHFJ3d24pbrbr1OoGMwLpNaDhsysIM0dc-yhzbK2Rg_yu_TJAVpEMOR9i186nCgproTfw6yab-IYrhP8y8mqPNOF8Wyx6rR5KAknsRA1HuhLVjWoJxmvuUHe3iiB9du50qkpSvn_OkAs__BvZhZIQHXN_dJ514aZoJ2VpuxUs2NXdhv1MbCB-oXI20TpmAGQ5qSWN0RVaYVHw5V8bt6d5NTHzWuh08W4FnwuuFAmCXiiXeBSoH8m-tYCpMDPvF5QKX704CGxo990romDWOtiyvs-qeSrr3lLXNZDLX5c6N84oWR-1t2uUBkQxweThSNQ72dY4qt-uxkkpcs3n6sRWWwWnYs8rbbcMZeXTgSw0WiP74HLDVGcdwwnDQ7OOlNAIpiyU_gDNKYvCJI_22QxRIG9ap4vmnPrLSXXGGDu-cwdicI_cpyJmPPRYtHpcqn4RhRWzVpRihabwHlC9duqXImIZGcZM827VMl5viu-PQtwoiBVn_x17uChvfytXIODYCE03yHaVLqTa9NODbAseSc0p0OiQagRsHffno-RjDPWKLM7jF_X6=w1477-h984-no

Sorry michael23, but this is Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) not Red-veined (S. fonscolombii). In S. fonscolombii the costa and most of the wing veins are crimson and the stigma is pale yellow with broad, dark borders. The photo shows that all the wing veins are dark and the stigma is reddy-brown with no obvious border. There is a nice picture on this page, taken in the Algarve, which shows both features well.

Last edited:
Back