Dragonflies - Communal Thread

Hi Les,

I think your Black-tailed Skimmer is actually an adult Scarce Chaser, Eyes look grey, Yellow colour in wing veins and the pattern at the base of the rear wings.

For a Black-tailed Skimmer the eyes are green and the wings have little or no colouration or patterns.

Cheers

Jerry

Last edited:
Hi Les,

I think your Black-tailed Skimmer is actually an adult Scarce Chaser, Eyes look grey, Yellow colour in wing veins and the pattern at the base of the rear wings.

For a Black-tailed Skimmer the eyes are green and the wings have little or no colouration or patterns.

Cheers

Jerry

Agreed.

Broad bodied chaser

xJUUMki.jpg

Hi Les,

Cheers

Jerry

Thank you Jerry - you live and learn

Les ;)

Took this one in Exmoor last week:

A banded demoiselle, but I'm not sure if male or female?

Took this one in Exmoor last week:

A banded demoiselle, but I'm not sure if male or female?

Philip, it's actually a Beautiful Demoiselle (male), cousin to the Banded. In Beautiful Demoiselles, the male's wings are completely coloured while there is only an enlarged spot on the Banded.

Philip, it's actually a Beautiful Demoiselle (male), cousin to the Banded. In Beautiful Demoiselles, the male's wings are completely coloured while there is only an enlarged spot on the Banded.
That's great to know thanks Mark, I couldn't quite place it (I'm no expert) as male or female but that makes sense if I had the wrong type!

Hi,

#1 - Agreed Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum).

#2 - Recently emerged judging by the wings, Emperor (Anax Imperator) female.

Hi,

#1 - Agreed Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum).

#2 - Recently emerged judging by the wings, Emperor (Anax Imperator) female.

Thanks Jerry. I would never have come up with the second one. Its hard enough to find them to photograph, even harder to ID them.

I was in a hide at Blashford lakes near Ringwood last week and this Emperor landed on the branches a little way out..too far for a decent shot but I'm posting it regarding the behaviour of the damselflies.I assume the Emperor was laying eggs.. They don't look like they're attacking it because, as you see, one landed on the Emperor. Very strange.

2evazdh.jpg

I was in a hide at Blashford lakes near Ringwood last week and this Emperor landed on the branches a little way out..too far for a decent shot but I'm posting it regarding the behaviour of the damselflies.I assume the Emperor was laying eggs.. They don't look like they're attacking it because, as you see, one landed on the Emperor. Very strange.

Hi John. This is a commonly observed phenomena, but no-one really knows for sure what is happening. The Emperor is indeed egg laying, and the most popular theory is that the damselflies are confusing her abdomen colouration for a female Damselfly, despite the size difference. This behaviour has been recorded in Common Blue Damselflies, like in your shot, and Azure Damselflies.

Hi John. This is a commonly observed phenomena, but no-one really knows for sure what is happening. The Emperor is indeed egg laying, and the most popular theory is that the damselflies are confusing her abdomen colouration for a female Damselfly, despite the size difference. This behaviour has been recorded in Common Blue Damselflies, like in your shot, and Azure Damselflies.

Agreed - I see it each year on one of our local Lakes

Emp.jpg

Thanks both. Could be dangerous for one creature to mistake another and land on it...Lol

Lovely photo,Bill.

Mark - I'm getting a bit "rusty" ........... is my Southern Skimmer a Keeled Skimmer ...... I thought it was a Southern, but looking today I'm not sure as it has a brown face = Keeled male

Here's another, from today

all three images are different insects as there are quite a few around

Skimmer.jpg

Blue_4.jpg

and another from today - just rusty - I would go for a Blue-eye or Goblet-marked damselfly ......... but the anteh stripes put me off???

Erythromma lindenii ??

Blue.jpg

another Violet Dropwing

Violet_2.jpg

Last edited:
Back