Dragonflies - Communal Thread

It's an immature male Common Darter - you can just see the red appearing on his abdomen.
The vulvular spur near the tip of the abdomen is just visible suggesting it's a female. Old females often acquire a red tint.

Last edited:
Good catch with the in-flight. The perched dragon looks a tad over-exposed on my monitor. They're migrant hawkers.

Hi Mike.

You're right, it does look over exposed on this monitor, but not on the one I did the processing on, I must get a calibrator and adjust the screens so they are all the same.
Thanks for looking and for the comments.

Trev.

Awesome shots Mark, May I ask what lens you used?

Les

here's one from a day or two back - 1st time I've seen this on my pond!

DSC05251 by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Hi,
Heres another from me, loads of these about still although the only water is a quarry next door but I wouldn't have thought that they would have come from that water spot.
No crop on this one. :)
dragon5.jpg

Hi @Graham.

That's a male Red veined Darter, which breeds in very shallow pools. Perhaps there's one close by.
Quarry.JPG
Thanks Nick, like I said, the only water about is in the Quarry, there is no other water for at least a mile or more.
The arrows show the path that I walk and see the dragonflies, min 100 seen every day between the furthest 2 arrows.

Looks very suitable Graham, this species has a very short life cycle of 2-3 months as larva and the same as an adult.

Here's another 2 from yesterday, 1st is I think a banded damsel but clueless as to the other. As always these we're photographed in the south of France :)
1442178212706.jpg
1442178230368.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: xmh
I did not get to see many Dragonflies in Japan .... conditions were not great ... but I did get this distance shot which I think is a White tailed Skimmer, (Orthetrum albistylum)

We get them here in France but I do not think that they have reached the UK yet??

Distance shot so just a record shot

WTS.jpg

WTS_2.jpg

WTS_3.jpg

Last edited:
I did not get to see many Dragonflies in Japan .... conditions were not great ... but I did get this distance shot which I think is a White tailed Skimmer, (Orthetrum albistylum)

We get them here in France but I do not think that they have reached the UK yet??

Distance shot so just a record shot

WTS.jpg

WTS_2.jpg

WTS_3.jpg
Agree ID Bill.

Not seen in UK yet.

is this a Large Red Damselfly or a Dragonfly? I tried to look, but not sure.

Taken with my iPhone so not the best....

21422563256_b490025bb3_z.jpg

As usual, there are some great Dragonfly/Damselfly images posted on this thread for the season.
Im a bit late to join the party this year, but heres a few of mine.
Cheers Paul.

Hawker Dragonfly, garden photo(uncropped). 6th-September-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Common Darter Dragonfly. 6th-September-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Common Darter Dragonfly, on my hand. (uncropped). 9th-September-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Migrant Hawker Dragonfly, garden photo (uncropped). 7th-September-2015. by Testudo Man, on Flickr
Always nice to see your shots and these are no exception.

Always nice to see your shots and these are no exception.

Thanks very much mate...Its been a long time since i posted any of my photos on this forum!...I can just about find some spare time for my Flickr account, but yeah, i should be more active on this forum...i just lurk in the shadows for the most part!;)

Back