Dragonfly

Dangermouse

Squeaky Clean
Edit My Images
No
OK probably not the best, but my best so far, been trying to catch one for a few days now, but they are so damn fast and disappear out of frame, its heavily cropped but if anyone can give some pointers I would appreciate them.

DSC_0007%20-%20Copy_zpsot0rlyul.jpg

In flight is quite spectacular but maybe trying to get
one the has landed somewhere on a twig or else…

and possibly clean your sensor, Pete! :)

Hi. This species, the Migrant Hawker, is relatively quite easy to get in flight (see the Dragonflies Communal thread). Catching them in flight is so much more rewarding than when they have landed. Set your camera to manual mode, tv ~ 1/1250, ~f5.6 ish and AUTO ISO. This will ensure you have a consistent shutter speed and aperture. Obviously AF servo and continuous sheeting on the drive. Now with the camera set up sit and watch their behaviour. Migrant Hawkers intersperse their flight with bouts of hovering sometimes for seconds at a time, so watch what they do and where they hover. They are territorial so will patrol the same spot over and over looking for females. Pre-focus on a reed at roughly the same distance as the dragonfly so that your camera has less work to do to achieve focus and then wait. I fond that a lens around 300mm is perfect (on an APS-C camera). You will get loads of oof shots as you practice, but when they hit you'll be very happy. These hawkers will be around until late Oct but they are at their most abundant now so make the most of this good spell of weather. Don't forget to post your shot here. Good luck.

also add +1EV or more as usually the bg is lighter than the Dragonfly and therefore at 0EV your image will be under exposed - experiment but try not to have to recover the blacks too much

usually use spot focus, if you can get away with it, or maybe 5 cells

try to get "square on" or you will suffer from DOF problems

as Mark says they follow a regular flight pattern and hovering, so you should be able to anticipate where they will come back to

fly .... hover .... fly ... hover ............ etc

Last edited:
Back