Dragonfly's beady eye.....

Very nice focal point shame about composition and chopping the tail off.

Lovely detail though. :D

Kelly, to be honest and not wishing to put a downer on it - close ups and macros take practice and that's what you need to do

hardly anything in focus, soft and a very poor composition - have a look at the "Communal Dragonfly thread" and see what to aim for

Thank you all for you feedback, I know this is not a perfect marco shot and am still aiming to get better, This particular image was one of the first I took with my new macro lens. Thanks KevC for correcting me, Im not great on my insects :)

Thank you all for you feedback, I know this is not a perfect marco shot and am still aiming to get better, This particular image was one of the first I took with my new macro lens. Thanks KevC for correcting me, Im not great on my insects :)

Kelly, you can get really good "close up" shots with a 300mm lens, (or similar), and they allow you to stand back a little ……...I use a 300mm f4 and also a 105mm f2.8 ……. not much in it but the 300mm does give more flexibility … I use them with the D7100 and Nikon 1 with the FT-1 adaptor .. even a 300mm zoom will produce good shots and the older manual focus lenses are used by some people

The closer you get the more you are fighting OOF and DOF and you really need to push into the high fvalues to control this - plus how you position your shot is important - with Dragon/Damselflies getting "square" or "square sideways on" really helps

If you want to take shots of small spiders etc., it does get (very) difficult and apart from practice you need skill - I have never taken a good insect or spider shot but have a look at @Tintin124 shots etc., ….. then you are into "proper" macro lenses and very precise focus ……. but again a reversed 50mm produces good results …… complicated subject micro photography

you need to work on getting your images sharper, much sharper - have you tried a tripod …… real easy to get "used" to

Keep trying, taking and posting as they are really interesting subjects

Last edited:
Back