Dragons Ahoy - 200-400mm with CPL

Name
Etienne
Edit My Images
Yes
So I decided that I hadn't gotten anywhere near enough good Dragonfly pics this summer like I had hoped so I decided to make the most of some of my holidays and go get some.

I forked out a decent amount of cash for the Canon drop-in CPL filter for my 200-400 so I decided to use that too. I'd originally got it for the airshows this year but I hadn't received it in time for Airbourne/Eastbourne and Shoreham didn't quite go as planned either as most people know.

Sometimes it made life a bit more difficult with my exposures etc but it did help a lot with the colours since a lot of these were shot pointing up into the sun a little and still fairly early in the afternoon.

Up until this shot I'd forgotten to rotate the CPL so I wasn't really getting the full polarising effect. This was the first one where I remembered to do so and I definitely noticed the difference in the colours I was seeing in the viewfinder. It was a little under exposed but not too bad.

Oak Tree Rest by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

My lens was on my monopod for once which made it easier to get a hand over to rotate the CPL. It's in a stupid spot IMO as you can barely get to it under the part of the camera body that sticks out at the front/top but it's ok with a left hand. I sat in this same spot for a while getting shots of the Dragonflies which were around

Spangly by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

This isn't the best shot in the lot of them but it shows the effect I was getting with the wings in the light. Without the filter the wings were a lot more blown out due to reflections but the CPL cut that considerably and added these gold coloured glints.

Sparkly Wings by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Ready To Pounce by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Rear View by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

On A Ribbon by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

The CPL also allowed me to shoot straight into the reflected sun on the water which gave me this which I quite like :)

Light Balls S by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

I wasn't sure whether the shot would turn out ok with that much light in the shot so I adjusted my angle a little and got this one too

Green S by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

The filter definitely helps you get nice rich colours from the leaves which might normally be a little bleached from the afternoon sun

In The Reeds by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

The filter also allowed me to retain a little of the sky blue here even though I had to expose for the shaded side of the Dragonfly.

Blue Sky by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

The filter does mean you need to use longer exposures or higher ISOs but I definitely like it :)

Bridge Crossing by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Last edited:
Really great set of images Etienne, with some good detail & colours.(y)

George.

One of the non negligible downsides of CPL/PL use in such scene is that
the iridescence takes a beating… leaving only strange glows in its place!

Back