Critique Drift action from Three Sisters.

Edit My Images
No
Hi all ,

I was at the Driftcup round 3 event at Three Sisters on Saturday and i decided to practice my panning an slow shutter speeds. I can away with some keepers which i wil ask for advise on in the next few days. For now though i would like any opinions on this , the more i look at it the more i seem to like it, i know its not very in focus etc but i somehow think it works. If you could let e know what you think and give me some advice for future panning shots that would be brilliant.

Thankyou ,

Dave.

_MG_0513 by OHaraCreative, on Flickr

I'm a big fan of shots like this. It's a really difficult art to master. Personally this would have a level of sharpness that I'd consider OK for this sort of shot.
I find the keeper rate of shots like this is pretty damn low, but when it does work, I think its really effective.

My question to myself when working through my shots at silly shutter speeds is "would this look better with this tiny bit in focus, at the very least?" to which my answer is normally yes, before binning the shot! My aim is to at least get something in focus (which granted, is not easy). For a shot like this it would normally be a rear wheel or number plate.

Here's the nearest similarly angled shot I could find at 1/40: https://flic.kr/p/egt5w2

That said I love the angle and framing .Obviously it's personal preference, but I think something/anything sharp gives something to draw the eye in.

Last edited:
My question to myself when working through my shots at silly shutter speeds is "would this look better with this tiny bit in focus, at the very least?" to which my answer is normally yes, before binning the shot! My aim is to at least get something in focus (which granted, is not easy). For a shot like this it would normally be a rear wheel or number plate.

Here's the nearest similarly angled shot I could find at 1/40: https://flic.kr/p/egt5w2

That said I love the angle and framing .Obviously it's personal preference, but I think something/anything sharp gives something to draw the eye in.

Thanks Chris.. i will look out for that in the future. Thanks for the link to the example too. I can see what you mean an how it works. Cheers. :)

Back