Drive to North Wales

Name
Lee Whittaker
Edit My Images
No
I got bored of my flat walls trying to make my chest fell better so I decided to get wrapped up and drive to Wales.
Checked the weather was said cloudy and dry until about 1pm.

So I trapped the camera, tripod and filters and headed off with a book of places to check out.
Was out for about 4 and half hours and got some nice shots.

Here is the out come, what people think?

Any comments, feedback more than welcome as I'm still very new to this?

You need to get bored more often!! The third one presses all the buttons. Well done they are all excellent

The fourth photo is my pick of the bunch, although I do really like the single tree on it's own as well. Really nice set :) I'm thinking of going to Wales in a couple weeks as I have a week off work with nothing planned; I sure hope to find places like these on my trip!

I would lay off the 10 stop ND for those waterfalls; it's quite possible to get the flowing water effect without one. Use a polariser if you have one , and on a cloudy day you can easily get an exposure of 1/2 or 1/4 second at f16/22. Use of a 10 stop ND is a bit marmite really, I happen not to like them most of the time.

Steve (above) is correct about reflections.......some of your whites look a bit blown out (or almost so).....

Having said that they're all very acceptable for the conditions you had available to you.

The fourth photo is my pick of the bunch, although I do really like the single tree on it's own as well. Really nice set :) I'm thinking of going to Wales in a couple weeks as I have a week off work with nothing planned; I sure hope to find places like these on my trip!

Give us a heads up when you are and can point you to some places with postcode of them if you want?

Also ST4 AND JERRY12953 thanks for the feedback, first time shot any reflections like that.
For the walkerfall I used the 6 stop ND not 10 but get where your coming form as I was at f8 so could have put it higher to get a longer shutter speed but didnt even think of that when I was out.
Little feedback like this is great for someone starting out, thanks :)

Also I don't have a polariser but its the next thing to be purchased :D

Last edited:
Give us a heads up when you are and can point you to some places with postcode of them if you want?

Also ST4 AND JERRY12953 thanks for the feedback, first time shot any reflections like that.
For the walkerfall I used the 6 stop ND not 10 but get where your coming form as I was at f8 so could have put it higher to get a longer shutter speed but didnt even think of that when I was out.
Little feedback like this is great for someone starting out, thanks :)

Also I don't have a polariser but its the next thing to be purchased :D

Glad you took the crit in the way it was meant, Lee. If you use a smaller exposure (larger f-stop) you will also get better depth of field, which always useful. Reflections are naturally about 1 stop darker than the real thing; I think this is because the water surface in effect polarises the light reflected off it. A polarising filter will cut down the light reaching lens by 1 to 2 stops depending on which one you buy. It will remove reflections if you don't want them and lots of other useful things.

I must get to know where that single tree is!

Glad you took the crit in the way it was meant, Lee. If you use a smaller exposure (larger f-stop) you will also get better depth of field, which always useful. Reflections are naturally about 1 stop darker than the real thing; I think this is because the water surface in effect polarises the light reflected off it. A polarising filter will cut down the light reaching lens by 1 to 2 stops depending on which one you buy. It will remove reflections if you don't want them and lots of other useful things.

I must get to know where that single tree is!

Yeah will always take feedback on board and how it should be without getting moody but yeah def getting a polariser next time, prob the lee 105mm one.

As for the tree mate put these coordinates in Google Maps and your more or less on top of it 53.127020, -4.133421
When I went it was flooded as all the other photos ive seen of it has it out the water a lot more and there is a bench right near it and that was in a good 5 inch of water.

Excellent set of images. I'm currently en route to pen-y-benglog now so hopefully the weather keeps up for a nice sunset this evening :)

Soo. I wasn't there very long before the heavens opened :( May try again before I leave on Friday hopefully. Weather is absolutely perfect now I'm back on Caernarfon side as well. Gutted lol

The portrait tree image is a beauty, especially the colour version. Good advice about the reflections, you do need to fix that. The second to last image might have something as well with a correctly exposed reflection. I'd say concentrate on getting one or two outstanding shots from a trip, 1-5 in particular aren't anywhere near the standard set by 7. The last image seems to be a panorama gone wrong - look at the wonky/distorted horizon. You've shown very good potential amongst this though

Brilliant photos! Hope to have an eye like you have in the future. Stunning.

Brilliant photos! Hope to have an eye like you have in the future. Stunning.

Thanks very much, I wouldn't say I have an eye. I've only been shutting for about a yeah now and I just shot what I think looks good and would make a good photo.
For me it's a case of, if I like it. Im happy but then if other people also like it that's great :)

Back