Driving in France?

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

We are going to Southern France and hiring a car, it has been some many years since I drove in France............................so any "heads ups" of things to be aware of, or of note?

Looking at the driver details reqs ~ as per hiring here in the UK it seems that all I need is my UK photocard license (and to carry a copy of the DVLA 'shared info' print out & code, in case asked for).

Thinking back, I recall having to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) last time and we were in the EU then, so have I missed anything obvious or (until we Brexit) has there been more latterly no need for an IDP???

TIA :)

Last edited:
Last time I drove in France (2015, going again soon, so interested in how this thread develops) I didn't need an IP as I have an EU style licence (standard UK photo one). Things like warning triangle, fluorescent jackets - 1 for each person, stored in car not boot, bulb kit etc should be provided by the hire company I would have thought.

It will depend on when you want to rent the car.

We are visiting Spain in September and renting a car. I will be fine with just EU style license.

But if you are going after B-date, you may need an International Driving Permit.

Last time I drove in France (2015, going again soon, so interested in how this thread develops) I didn't need an IP as I have an EU style licence (standard UK photo one). Things like warning triangle, fluorescent jackets - 1 for each person, stored in car not boot, bulb kit etc should be provided by the hire company I would have thought.

Yes, as hiring and the items are a French legal requirement that sort of kit must be in the car. On my list to check it all present & correct :) NB as the excess is 1500euro and I am going to 'buy' the "super CDW cover" as I would hate to have be stuck/stung with that level of unexpected extra. (Note ~ I do that whenever we hire outside the UK mainland and came in handy on Guernsey as we had a puncture and tyres are not normally covered in standard CDW level - yes, the type cost was likely equal to the cost of the extended cover ;) )

It will depend on when you want to rent the car.

We are visiting Spain in September and renting a car. I will be fine with just EU style license.

But if you are going after B-date, you may need an International Driving Permit.

Ah! I should have made my comment in my OP re Brexit more explicit.........going before 31st Oct :LOL:

I am currently hiring a car most weeks in Northern Ireland, and wanted to protect myself from a nasty bill if something happened thus forfeiting the excess, so I've taken out an annual policy covering the hire car excess - £47. I can't recall exactly what exclusions it may have eg punctures, but it's massively cheaper than paying the daily charge for full CDW cover which is often around £12-15/day. Worth looking into

Last edited:
We took our own car over a couple of weeks ago, super easy. Lots of toll roads on the motorways, but makes for nice easy flowing traffic. Unless you're going to try and drive into Paris itself it'll be a breeze

I am, currently hiring a car most weeks in Northern Ireland, and wanted to protect myself from a nasty bill if something happened thus forfeiting the excess, so I've taken out an annual policy covering the hire car excess - £47. I can't recall exactly what excisions it may have eg punctures, but it's massively cheaper than paying the daily charge for full CDW cover which is often around £12-15/day. Worth looking into
Interesting, though we don't need it too often @ £47 that is so cheap compared to 'buying it' from the hire company.

Can you say which insurer you have that special policy with???

I am currently hiring a car most weeks in Northern Ireland, and wanted to protect myself from a nasty bill if something happened thus forfeiting the excess, so I've taken out an annual policy covering the hire car excess - £47. I can't recall exactly what excisions it may have eg punctures, but it's massively cheaper than paying the daily charge for full CDW cover which is often around £12-15/day. Worth looking into

Yeah we have the same, the annual policies are so much cheaper!

Yes, as hiring and the items are a French legal requirement that sort of kit must be in the car.

Don't assume that the kit needed to meet the legal requirement will be provided by the hire company. Check with them before booking. Not sure if you still have to carry a breathalyser in France as well as the triangle and hi-vis.

Don't assume that the kit needed to meet the legal requirement will be provided by the hire company. Check with them before booking. Not sure if you still have to carry a breathalyser in France as well as the triangle and hi-vis.

They removed that requirement.

High vis for each passenger, triangle and spare bulbs.

We took our own car over a couple of weeks ago, super easy. Lots of toll roads on the motorways, but makes for nice easy flowing traffic. Unless you're going to try and drive into Paris itself it'll be a breeze
Nah! no where near Paris, thankfully :LOL:

On a previous trip to the South of France we did drive and I covered 2500miles in two weeks, not something I wish to repeat any time soon :( NB that was on all levels of road but mainly the motorways which as I recall put ours to shame for various reasons ;) )

I got it online from icarhireinsurance.com (broker) for a policy with Zurich Insurance ( so it is a reputable company) - £47.99

Oh!!! hiring from Hertz, so will email them at the location for clarification unless I can explicitly find it on the terms???

We just used the handily named https://www.carhireexcess.co.uk/
Thanks, had a quick look and it seems they cover the 'areas' I recall being covered by paying the extra for Super CDW
copied here:-
  • Fire, Theft & Vandalism
  • Tyres & Windscreen
  • Keys & Undercarriage
  • Personal Possessions Cover

I got it online from icarhireinsurance.com (broker) for a policy with Zurich Insurance ( so it is a reputable company) - £47.99
Thanks Lindsay, I will check that out :)

PS have either of you ever had to make a claim and if so was it sorted to your satisfaction?

Last edited:
Oh!!! hiring from Hertz, so will email them at the location for clarification unless I can explicitly find it on the terms???

Best to check, just in case because IF they're not automatically supplied (IMO, they should be), I'd bet that they're available to buy from them at significantly higher prices than elsewhere! Can't remember where I bought ours from but they were very cheap and are a good idea, even if they're not a legal requirement here in the UK.

PS have either of you ever had to make a claim and if so was it sorted to your satisfaction?

No, I haven't (yet) thankfully, but that's why I checked who was underwriting it first to make sure it wasn't some dodgy outfit

I have used insurance4carhire a couple of times but never had to claim.
If you wear spectacles for driving you need a spare pair.
You are legally required to have a breathalyser in France BUT there is no fine and no endorsement if you do not have one!

I have used insurance4carhire a couple of times but never had to claim.
If you wear spectacles for driving you need a spare pair.
You are legally required to have a breathalyser in France BUT there is no fine and no endorsement if you do not have one!

Just to clarify ~ if glasses specifically required for driving.................or is that "if you wear glasses....to correct vision including for driving....."???

defiantly get your own top up insurance. you will have to be thick skinned as they will really try and sell you there. also they will put a hefty charge on your credit card

And remember they are reputed to be much more concerned about speeding and drinking than they used to be (did my first long drive through France around '93).

Interestingly, with Europcar, although the excess is £1200 every time I hire from them, they only pre-authorise £250 each time. Maybe because I'm a frequent customer, I don;'t know, but I find that interesting - I thought they'd be taking £1200 each time.

Clarification and tips (I live in France)
Photocard licences don't need a translation but the old paper ones do.
No breathalyser kit required.
Yellow vests for each occupant and they must be accessible from within the car (not in the boot).
Current blitz is on drivers not moving back from the overtaking lane.
One thing that people are often unaware of is the speed limit in villages. If the sign for the village is outlined in red then you're entering a 50km/h limit unless regular speed signs show differently.
Flashing headlights are a warning and not an invitation to pull out (overtaking or from a junction)
Stay safe and enjoy the scenery.

Yellow vests for each occupant and they must be accessible from within the car (not in the boot).
One thing that people are often unaware of is the speed limit in villages. If the sign for the village is outlined in red then you're entering a 50km/h limit unless regular speed signs show differently.
Flashing headlights are a warning and not an invitation to pull out (overtaking or from a junction)

Hi Bob

Many thanks for sharing your info and tips :)

We were caught out by the first couple of villages, thankfully satnav had the speed limit on it so quickly noticed!

We just used the handily named https://www.carhireexcess.co.uk/

Just an update FWIW

I have bought this insurance after comparing the cover etc as best as I could without my brain exploding ;) :LOL:
It has the higher max cover of £7500 compared to £6000 in a single insurance year
It also unlike the others I read up about includes Tyres & Wheels in the cover compared to (all?) the others saying only tyres
Also Headlights......................not 100% sure that any of the others mentioned this?

So, like all such insurance I never expect to need it but better safe than sorry.

PS I may take the precaution of buying a couple of hi-vis vests here......hopefully the triangle and bulbs are there!

Well, just way of an update.

The hire car did not have any 'safety' kit. I returned to the desk and they gave me a pre-packed red triangle and one Gilet Jeune ~ I asked why did I not find it/them in the passengers cabin and why not a vest per person. I was told that one per person and in the cabin is no longer required and to just store the pack in the boot!!!

PS as mentioned previously this is a big brand rental Hertz.

Last edited:
If your going to be in southern France that missed the two worst bits - Paris & the English idiots near the channel ports.
One extra point I've discovered, French speed cameras don't give ANY leeway, 1 kmh over & you're fined. Oversize tyres on my brothers 4x4 meant i was caught when the speedo read under the limit.

If your going to be in southern France that missed the two worst bits - Paris & the English idiots near the channel ports.
One extra point I've discovered, French speed cameras don't give ANY leeway, 1 kmh over & you're fined. Oversize tyres on my brothers 4x4 meant i was caught when the speedo read under the limit.
...... was told that one per person and in the cabin is no longer required and to just store the pack in the boot!!!
I've just checked the government website and they have indeed removed the need to have a vest for each passenger although it still states that the vest must be accessible from inside the car.

One extra point I've discovered, French speed cameras don't give ANY leeway, 1 kmh over & you're fined.
I've had 4 tickets during the last 10 years and two of them have been for 2km/h over the limit. The upside (if there is one) is that they're only 1 point penalties and they expire after 12 months.

Back