Dubai Trip

Name
Anonymous
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All,

I'm off to Dubai soon. I look forward to putting many of my newly learned photography skills to practice. I do however also have a number of worries. I'm a skinny lad and I don't like wearing T shirts. I point this out due to Dubai's climate. My friends are looking forward to "upgrading" their wardrobes to accommodate for the trip whereas whilst I understand I can't exactly walk around in a jumper and jacket, I don't wish to wear the summer attire if you will. I possess a number of long sleeve tops and I was wondering are these ideal ? They also mentioned wearing 3 quarter jeans. I get their rationale in thinking but I don't feel comfortable in wearing this type of attire. They also wish to visit a water park which will require further dressing down. I get the appeal but I don't wish to appear in vested attire.

I was wondering, could tips be provided in how I can wear clothes I feel comfortable in, both in relation to the climate and personally.

Many Thanks,

I tend to wear long sleeve shirts. I've never left the house without a jacket/ cardigan on.

I kind of envision me wearing these types of shirts over there but I've been advised that it's not best to wear jeans as due to sweating, it can be uncomfortable.

I would be inclined to wear what you are comfortable in.

Jeans will be too heavy but something lighter such as lightweight Chinos could suit you with your shirts .... long sleeves are fine. :)

Dubai can be very hot. When we went, the daily temps were over 35*C. You get used to the heat.

Long sleeves and trousers will be fine but I find tight fitting versions of these to be suffocating so would opt for a size up or loose fit clothes. I wore sandals instead of socks and shoes.

Don’t copy the locals but most wear long clothes . Light fabrics are the way to go

Indeed - light weight, pale coloured fabrics, summer-weight cargo trousers, long-sleeved shirts in technical materials will all make for a more comfortable time while providing the required levels of covering.

I heavily appreciate the input. My worry was that everyone would be in minimal clothing but after seeing photos of the Dubai, most people don't seem to be dressed any different to how people dress here. I understand it might have been a different time of year but I feel as though I will get away with wearing lighter variants of my normal attire. I take it materials such as cotton and linen are the way to go. I require further information in regards to trousers. Are jogger jeans ideal ?

I take it materials such as cotton and linen are the way to go. I require further information in regards to trousers. Are jogger jeans ideal ?

I would look for lightweight technical fabrics, rather than cotton and linen, which don't tend to 'breathe' well and, in the case of linen, is a lot of trouble to keep looking good because of the way it creases. Joggers are also called sweat pants for a reason. ;) Try Millets & Mountain Warehouse in the high street, or look online at regatta & similar, but be aware that at the 'nice' end of this type of clothing it gets very expensive. It can last well - the columbus shirt I bought for a trip to Thailand is still good 11 years later - so it may be an investment, rather than holiday fashion purchase.

I would look for lightweight technical fabrics, rather than cotton and linen, which don't tend to 'breathe' well and, in the case of linen, is a lot of trouble to keep looking good because of the way it creases. Joggers are also called sweat pants for a reason. ;) Try Millets & Mountain Warehouse in the high street, or look online at regatta & similar, but be aware that at the 'nice' end of this type of clothing it gets very expensive. It can last well - the columbus shirt I bought for a trip to Thailand is still good 11 years later - so it may be an investment, rather than holiday fashion purchase.

I was wondering could you elaborate on "Technical fabrics" please ? My worry is I don't really wish to go out of my way to purchase clothes just for a week. My rationale in the long sleeve shirts is that I can at least wear them over here.

I'd rather not buy when I get there as to whose to say what choice I'll have plus I'd rather go there prepared and spend my time doing something else.

Have a look at Craghoppers long sleeved shirts. They are not cheap and I have not used them myself but if their trousers are anything to go by, they will last, so you'll get plenty of wear out of them on you return.

Dave

I was wondering could you elaborate on "Technical fabrics" please ? My worry is I don't really wish to go out of my way to purchase clothes just for a week. My rationale in the long sleeve shirts is that I can at least wear them over here.

I'd rather not buy when I get there as to whose to say what choice I'll have plus I'd rather go there prepared and spend my time doing something else.

A technical fabric is usually one designed to wick away moisture, while being lightweight, UV-resistant and fast drying. They tend to be more comfortable against the skin in situations where you perspire than non-technical fabrics like cotton, that simply get damp & stay that way.

I'm not sure it's technical, but I'd be looking for something like this: https://www.millets.co.uk/mens/103882-peter-storm-mens-travel-shirt.html

Have a look at Rohan stuff as well. Not cheap but very hard wearing, packs down very small and dries quickly after a wash/rinse/unexpected wave...

personally I would buy a couple of lightweight summer items here ,and then if needed buy local stuff over there . you dont sound like someone who has travelled a lot and if you cover up a lot here I suspect light skin that burns easily ,so make sure you have plenty of quality sun tan oil ,not lotion as its useless .oil is far better as it keeps the skin supple . last time I was in the Middle East the temps in may were hovering around 38-40degs at 11oclock in the morning ,also beware of cheapo rubber soled shoes/sandals the melt in contact with the pavements

btw swimming pool attire is generally these days for older gents a pair of boxer trunk type bathers ,they are readily available in most shops and supermarkets that sell clothing and in different lengths even down to your knees if wanted

Last edited:
^
|

You're right. This is my first proper trip out the country (Minus a car journey to Wales). For the time being, I've purchased 2 cotton/ linen long sleeve tops (They were actually purchased for me). I don't like warm weather here so I guess this trip will be exciting for me :( ! I look forward to the photographic challenges nonetheless.

I'm being careful on what I purchase as I'm setting myself a budget. A feeling of trepidation is coming over in regards to what I have to wear, especially in relation to the water park. I suppose "lengthy" 3 quarters are OK for my bottom half, but I fear I may have to compromise on the top. I was wondering are the bottoms linked below, are these suitable ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Men-Line...m=441746915688&_trksid=p2055119.c100022.m2048

Oh dear , you are really in for a shock to the system ,depending on flight arrival time and that won’t make that much difference anyway . You will step out of that nice air conditioned plane and as your feet hit the top step you will feel the heat creeping up your body by the time your at the bottom step you will be sweating .
Personally I would forget being shy or worried about body shape/condition no ones bothered bar you ,being comfortable is more important the best attire is similar to what you have posted but rather go for three quarter length ones so the air can circulate around your legs and just normal T shirts ,whether you wear one in the pool as well is up to you . But 40/50 degrees heat changes attitudes fast .
Not sure about Dubai but another thing to be careful of is the cars ,our rules don’t apply the Arabs are maniacs behind the wheel ,in Egypt they rarely use lights at night either ,a taxi ride at night at 100mph with no lights on ,loud Egyptian music blaring ,and loose camels on the road is something to be cherished in your memories LOL

Don't be put off by some of the comments on here. I have been to Dubai many times including July and yes it is very warm at times but it is a very sophisticated city with the vast majority of buildings and transport systems having superb A/C systems. There are many hotel pools with A/C areas and the Wild Waddy water park has A/C water sprays everywhere. You will be hard pushed to have a stranger body shape than me, don't let it bother you, you will be amazed at some of the body shapes you will see. I find that smart light weight denim jeans cut just below the knee with a T shirt is fine for day and night. Glam it up a bit at night with a nice watch and your good to go. The important thing is that you enjoy yourself and sod what you look like.

I appreciate the comment Sir.

Thing is, when your as skinny as I am, you tend to get people looking like theirs something wrong. I've grown a tough enough skin to freely walk around and not let other peoples opinions bother me but 1 thing I'd rather not do, is actively draw attention to myself. I can only comment on personal experiences, so I apologize if I offend anyone here but I think it's different compared to being skinny vs someone who is overweight. I see overweight people everywhere and dare I say this, but it's more normalized. Being someone who is skinny, I don't get similar type of treatment. I'm going with friends who are actively go to the gym so you can imagine how much of a stark contrast I look compared to them.
In regards to the water park. I've been successful in finding a type of garment (Boardshorts) which seem adequate. They go to the knee length (Is it possible to go longer ?) and if worst comes to it, I'll wear a T shirt.

Breathe.
There are various body shapes / types in DBX.
As long as you are not being ridiculous in your attire, it will be fine.
Long sleeves are ok, and probably better for you than short sleeves.

You'll be fine....

Back