Captive Dudley Zoo

Name
Clint
Edit My Images
Yes
A few I managed to get at Dudley Zoo yesterday. Unfortunately the Asiatic Bear was nowhere to be seen, and the big cats were being very elusive....

I like Dudley zoo, think that they have a great selection of animals for a zoo of their size.

Some personal thoughts below;
Most of the subjects in your photos are looking out of the frame with no real space to look into. I would like to either shoot a little wider or crop in less.
#1. Somewhat in the middle of the frame - & what is it btw?
#2. That's a cracker- I love it. Was it shot through glass?
#3. I'd be tempted to crop to just the top right 60% odd of the photo and create the focus on the two lemurs that are looking at you. And zap the two nail/ screw holes that are on the far right of the frame.
#4. He's got a big line running through the back of his head. This is probably the biggest challenge with meerkat enclosures.

I feel the the snake could have been a cracking shot, but isn't quite there. The subjects of the latter half of the set really do need more room to look into.
Nice work though.

Thanks alot guys.

I am very much a beginner and I think the camera I am using is already beginning to limit what I can do.

Adam the 1st photo is a Yellow Mongoose. And the Toucan is shot through mesh. I am very pleased with how that one turned out.

When I'm taking these kind of photos I tend to automatically go for the closer ones because I seem to lose alot of the detail when I crop them.

The shot of the Red Panda is just the best of a bad bunch really. I think we were lucky to even get any of it.

Thanks again guys.

Red pandas are a pain! There were a couple at one of the zoos on the Isle of Wight last week & they wouldn't even have the decency to snooze in my direction!
What camera do you use? There looks like there is plenty of detail in the shots that I can see, if it is focussed properly you should be ok for an amount of cropping. The tendency is to try & fill the frame, but should not be a be all & end all.

Haha we had to go around twice to get any kind of decent shots of the Red Panda. It was our first time at Dudley and we all really enjoyed it, like you said there are a wide variation of animals there.

I have a Sony DSCH400 Bridge Camera Adam. I didn't want to go all out and spend hundreds on an SLR straight the way because to be honest I wasn't sure whether or not this was just going to be another phase I was going through! As far as I can see(it comes with no instructions) there isn't a fully manual mode, so I'm really just using it on the auto settings it provides. It has a huge zoom on it, 63x optical I think and most of my shots are are taken with alot of zoom on them. I'm happy enough with most I've taken so far, but I fully understand that there are limits to what this kind of camera can do.

Back