Dugald Stewart Monument LE

S

stupar

Took this last month after an early rise to attempt a good sunrise from Calton Hill overlooking Princes Street.
Mother nature didn't fully supply what I hoped for but the mix of broken blue sky and a bank of clouds in the distance coming together over the 30 second exposure is quite pleasing I think.

After my recent submission on here and taking advice from Kodiak re pushing sliders to far and thus losing micro contrast and saturation I decided to not be so harsh with the sliders.
This time in ACR I made some very minor local adjustments and then did a small levels and curves tweak in CC before saving.

This is the end result and hopefully it is more pleasing on the eye.

Thank you for taking the time to look.

Dougald Stewart Monument by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Reactions: ST4
I really like this one Stuart, nice and sharp with lots of detail and colour. I'm no expert but I would be very pleased if it was my shot.

For me, the only downside is the construction crane, I think it's distracting as it immediately draws the eye, others may like the crane.

Chris

I really like this one Stuart, nice and sharp with lots of detail and colour. I'm no expert but I would be very pleased if it was my shot.

For me, the only downside is the construction crane, I think it's distracting as it immediately draws the eye, others may like the crane.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Re the crane, I totally see your point and you are right it does lead the eye away but in my eyes not too much. Small things I would normally clone out but the crane I decided to leave in as it forms a part of Edinburgh's ever changing skyline (Edinburgh is full of cranes at present) so it kind of helps to tell a story - if you see what I mean.

Its excellent and the sky really suits it

Cheers Steve, it was the sky that drew me in and i feel that the 30 second exposure has done enough to create the effect og the blue sky being sucked into the distant cloud cover.

Very good progression Stuart, very vivid!

Very good progression Stuart, very vivid!

Thank you Kodiak and also thank you for your helpful advice in my other thread.
Having shot Canon full frame and now shooting Fuji APSC, there are some things which I am having to re learn as the two systems are so different. It may be in my mind but the X Trans sensor takes a bit of getting used to in the way it reads and renders light.

Practice makes perfect though!

I am having to re learn as the two systems are so different!

Go slow and cool, as one learns more and faster that way!

Back