Duke of Burgundy

Very nice, there is a nature reserve near us that has them but I've never even seen one let alone get a photo.

Beautiful Butterfly and superb picture (y) great specimen as well.

Clive.

Thanks all. These butterflies really are little gems and well worth the effort to find and photograph them.

Chris, keep looking!

Dave

Nice photos, is the conservation work where you took the photos having an effect?

Nice photos, is the conservation work where you took the photos having an effect?

Thanks David! It's a bit early to say re. the management work, as it was only carried out in March, and involved the removal of a line of hawthorn & hazel from the bottom of a bank. The Duke has very specific habitat requirements which can make it difficult to manage for, and is the reason it's so rare and declining.

Thanks David! It's a bit early to say re. the management work, as it was only carried out in March, and involved the removal of a line of hawthorn & hazel from the bottom of a bank. The Duke has very specific habitat requirements which can make it difficult to manage for, and is the reason it's so rare and declining.
With the Large Blue the problem was that they did not understand how to protect it until it was too late. IIRC a lot of what they did to protect they realized later made things worse.

Wonderful shots I love these little butterflies I have only seen them twice I have to make the trip down south to see them

Back