Dunham Massey Watermill

Name
Geof
Edit My Images
Yes

mill-house by geof worrall, on Flickr

A 17th century corn mill converted to a sawmill in 1860. Waterwheel still drives machinery including a frame saw, band saw, circular saw, boring machine and a lathe. Part of the Dunham Massey Estate, owned by the National Trust.

It's the path that's making it look crooked it actually is on an incline, I think the mill is just a tad off level. I know the mill well as I don't live far away.

It's the path that's making it look crooked it actually is on an incline, I think the mill is just a tad off level. I know the mill well as I don't live far away.
Doesn't matter how much of an incline it's on, the uprights should still be vertical.

Even in the 17th century they didn't build walls that leaned.

thanks Brian...
cheers
geof
I cropped it a bit tighter too, since I found that piece of sky to the right of the tree rather distracting. - Just my take on it.

BTW I forgot to say I liked the shot.
Although I am an NT member it's probably a little too far away for a visit (when we're allowed to start visiting again.)

Nice photo Geof. The colour of the light suits it too. Another good spot for a photo is just downstream a bit (though the modern footpaths spoil things a bit)

Built about 1620 according to the estate records. Originally called High Town Mill until Stamford restored it in 1919 and he called it Dunham Hall Mill.
Brian's corrected version is right though the left hand gable did slope backwards a bit, and there was no machinery left in it, when I was a kid!
National Truss put in 'new' equipment and brought it back into working condition. It's a shame they don't do the same with some of the more important mills they own but which don't make the huge profit that Dunham car park does :(

I cropped it a bit tighter too, since I found that piece of sky to the right of the tree rather distracting. - Just my take on it.

BTW I forgot to say I liked the shot.
Although I am an NT member it's probably a little too far away for a visit (when we're allowed to start visiting again.)
Nice photo Geof. The colour of the light suits it too. Another good spot for a photo is just downstream a bit (though the modern footpaths spoil things a bit)

i left the gap to give some "air" to the edge of the shot....both are ok...cheers..(y)

ps how far away are you...when we lived in the manchester area (Irlam) we toured a lot of NT places in a wide radius..usually around 70 miles radius from home.. difficult now with the C-19 restrictions
being a member doesnt make one shy about visiting any place over and over, free parking is the key!

Built about 1620 according to the estate records. Originally called High Town Mill until Stamford restored it in 1919 and he called it Dunham Hall Mill.
Brian's corrected version is right though the left hand gable did slope backwards a bit, and there was no machinery left in it, when I was a kid!
National Truss put in 'new' equipment and brought it back into working condition. It's a shame they don't do the same with some of the more important mills they own but which don't make the huge profit that Dunham car park does :(

heads up old chap...become a member....when in that area we got our money back in no time...and and....we could go over to Dunham just for the walk or a picnic in the gardens..."free"

Ah...Irlam-by-The-Hypermarket...
I know the area well enough to not pay for the National Truss carpark Geof....even partied at the hall before they opened it all up to the riff-raff.
I meant Brian's leveling rather than any other change and my footpath comment relates to the viewpoint looking up the tailrace, again not to your photo.

Back