Dunnet Head

I like the colours and light, but somehow the composition just doesn't work for me. I think it's because neither left nor right hand side have an end point, but rather are left hanging, yet the centre doesn't provide termination or a subject in the conventional sense either.

I like the colours and light, but somehow the composition just doesn't work for me. I think it's because neither left nor right hand side have an end point, but rather are left hanging, yet the centre doesn't provide termination or a subject in the conventional sense either.

Thanks. I'm a very amateur, amateur and feedback is welcome.

There's a lot happening in the picture- sun shining on the spectacular cliffs near me, grey and raining further ahead, the rainbow and the lighthouse. In as much as I thought about it I suppose I saw the lighthouse as the subject. It is relatively insignificant compared with the cliffs and the force of nature from the elements, which I liked.

I like termination as well - and the unfinished rainbow does niggle a bit. I've only had my new camera a month, I've been quite trigger happy and I'm already beginning to get anxious about disk space, so for the almost the first time ever I deleted quite a few of the photos I took. I still have this one however - and as you'll see the rainbow does end - and maybe I could have done something with that, but it peters off into grey beyond. It also detracts from the impressiveness of the cliffs, somehow they seem to be lessened in that view.

Dunnet 2046 by James West, on Flickr

I think this a lovely shot of the rugged, windy Dunnet head coastline.
I took the liberty to make a couple of adjustments such as toning down the sky to make it more dramatic and a wee crop off the right.
Hope you don't mind ;)

51154715630_9ae9d0e29c_k by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

Thanks Mike.

That does look more balanced, and the sky works. It has also brought out the rainbow colours a bit more.

That edit by Mike makes much more of the shot.
James remember things are not complete when you fire the shutter. It is good to know what you want the shot to look like when you fire the shutter but I would suggest be open to seeing more in a shot when it on the computer.

Back