Dunnydeer Milky Way

Name
Iain
Edit My Images
No
Dunnydeer is a ruined fort on a hillside near Insch, Aberdeenshire. When I initially visited here while waking the dog, I immediately thought a star shot may work well here. Not long after, I returned and this is the final image. Not the best by any means as I'm still getting the hang of astro stuff!

Dunnydeer Milky Way by Iain Brooks, on Flickr

Very impressive stars.

My first thought is the foreground is not adding to the image, I wonder if cropping some of it would help or If you are to repeat the shot some light painting to lighten the grass.

If this you getting the hang of astro stuff I reckon that any future images will be stunning.

Very impressive stars.

My first thought is the foreground is not adding to the image, I wonder if cropping some of it would help or If you are to repeat the shot some light painting to lighten the grass.

If this you getting the hang of astro stuff I reckon that any future images will be stunning.
excellent, but I would also crop a bit off the bottom
top work...very impressive

Thanks folks, I actually tried it with a square crop for instagram and preferred it over the portrait version although it did crop a little too much off the top of the Milky way. Will try cropping up a little from the bottom,

cheers, Iain

Hi, what WB do you use for shots like this

Should be shooting in RAW so WB won't make any difference...

I imagine Carlo's post was as much about the final WB used in LR/ PS as it was about how the camera is set.

Most of my Milky Way & night sky images are shot or processed with the WB between 2500K & 4200K. I'd guess a similar ballpark for the OP's image, albeit with a significant hue adjustment.

You're right, Keety, that it's best to shoot in RAW but it's a bit misleading to suggest the camera's WB won't make any difference. Aside from the pure aesthetic of the image- how warm or cold/ red or blue everything appears- camera WB can have a significant effect on the tonal appearance of what you see on the preview screen.

Linked image is from a couple of years back. As annotated, it shows the camera JPG up top, which I think you'd agree shows little in the way of Milky Way data. I'd been shooting at 2500K, which adds a lot of blue into the image to compensate for very warm light sources. Beneath is the output from a very quick run through ACR. By far the most significant adjustment was white balance though I also knocked the contrast and saturation around a little. All adjustments were universal across the whole file.

At the time of shooting I thought, like Keety, that the preview on the back of my camera was close to definitive (in terms of data, not colour). Had I realised just what impact the WB slider could have subsequently; how much more data I was capturing than was shown, I'd have kept on shooting for a few more frames.

I quite like the silhouette but just wondering if people would think using off camera flash to light it from below would make it look more interesting? It's something I plan to try one day.

Back