Dunsfold Wings and Wheels 2015

Name
Nick / Sectionate
Edit My Images
No
This was the first airshow I visited since I went to Farnborough as a small lad and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I have also realised I should have made more of an effort to try and see the Vulcan before it was grounded, but then, my experience will forever be tinted with the first time awesomeness of it. When it flew over, the roar reminded me of seeing Concorde regularly fly over my house.

Onto the photos, first time shooting planes (other than a Hurricane with an old Bridge camera), so be gentle.

I loved this stunt plane, some impressive stuff!

Dunsfold Wings and Wheels
by Nick, on Flickr

B-25 with is low throb as it gracefully (!!) flew over our heads.

by Nick, on Flickr

It's not an airshow without a Sptifire, paired up with a Hurricane.

by Nick, on Flickr

by Nick, on Flickr

21117023321_0a270ec936_c.jpg

Dunsfold Wings and Wheels by Nick, on Flickr

And the Vulcan, such a plane.

21099246382_76a61fa737_c.jpg

Dunsfold Wings and Wheels by Nick, on Flickr

by Nick, on Flickr

BBMF Synchro Pair - Typhoon and Spitfire

75th Anniversary Flight
by Nick, on Flickr

I have to admit, being such an overcast day it made it difficult to shoot with and then edit (being colourblind, this is always a challenge). Great day out

Last edited:
Guess the must be pants then
Not at all, but the drab sky doesn't help things.

My critique would be that some of the planes are a little small in the frame [not much you can do without a longer lens] or in an "odd" place - eg the penultimate Vulcan shot works for me in terms of composition but the last shot of the Typhoon/Spitfire doesn't, with them flying into lots of grey space. I'd also get your shutter speed down for the prop driven planes to around 1/160-1/250 to get more prop blur. Having said all of which, I really like the initial biplane shot and the banking underside shot of the Vulcan [still gutted it couldn't make it to Cosby at the weekend].

I use the 300mm f4 too with the TC-14EII teleconverter and it works well with minimal loss of image quality, might be worth a look if you're struggling for reach.

Good sharp shots Nick. What camera and lens were you using?
merv

Was the stunt plane the one that flys sideways at the start of the routine by any chance?

Not at all, but the drab sky doesn't help things.

My critique would be that some of the planes are a little small in the frame [not much you can do without a longer lens] or in an "odd" place - eg the penultimate Vulcan shot works for me in terms of composition but the last shot of the Typhoon/Spitfire doesn't, with them flying into lots of grey space. I'd also get your shutter speed down for the prop driven planes to around 1/160-1/250 to get more prop blur. Having said all of which, I really like the initial biplane shot and the banking underside shot of the Vulcan [still gutted it couldn't make it to Cosby at the weekend].

I use the 300mm f4 too with the TC-14EII teleconverter and it works well with minimal loss of image quality, might be worth a look if you're struggling for reach.

Thanks for all the feedback, useful stuff - the sky was very bland, so I tried to blow it as much as possible in PP to remove some of the grey. The thing I haven't learnt with long-lens stuff yet is that empty space, which works well for UE stuff I normally shoot, doesn't translate well. I think if it had been clearer and there was more heat haze, it would have worked (like the banking Vulcan and the exhaust plume). I was also using handheld so didn't go too low with the shutter speed, it was something I tried to do on some but need more practice.

The two you liked are my favourite too, the banker shot has some sexy lines lol. I do like the Tpyhoon spitfire one, but its a marmite shot imo.

I have the same lens, yet to find a spare wad of cash for the TC though.

Good sharp shots Nick. What camera and lens were you using?
merv

Thanks. Nikon D7000 and a 300mm lens.

Was the stunt plane the one that flys sideways at the start of the routine by any chance?

Yes, just as I turned up too. I would have been mad if I had missed it.

Absolutely love the first shot, colours, detail, positioning...

Cheers.

Hi

I love these. I am new to the site as I used to take aircraft photos 45 years ago with an SLR when I was instructing on aircraft recognition with cadets. I have not touched an SLR for 45 years and am thinking I need to take better photos of trips (general, nothing specific). Before buying a DSLR I am trying to understand new technology as I if I remember it right I used to buy the film speed ISO to match the type of photos, then get everything into slides, now it seems to be the speed onto SD card (45mb/s, 60mb/s or 90mb/s) yet some things quote ISO and I can't see why as this doesn't seem to be for the SD upload speed. Can anyone point me to an easy read on what has changed in 40 odd years of what I think is effectively writing to the saving material.

Thanks, an OLD new beginner

Hi

I love these. I am new to the site as I used to take aircraft photos 45 years ago with an SLR when I was instructing on aircraft recognition with cadets. I have not touched an SLR for 45 years and am thinking I need to take better photos of trips (general, nothing specific). Before buying a DSLR I am trying to understand new technology as I if I remember it right I used to buy the film speed ISO to match the type of photos, then get everything into slides, now it seems to be the speed onto SD card (45mb/s, 60mb/s or 90mb/s) yet some things quote ISO and I can't see why as this doesn't seem to be for the SD upload speed. Can anyone point me to an easy read on what has changed in 40 odd years of what I think is effectively writing to the saving material.

Thanks, an OLD new beginner
It really hasn't changed that much Steve. Broadly speaking don't worry too much about the card speed, it just dictates how quickly data is transferred to and from the card, a ridiculously slow card might impede your frame rate. Faster speed cards can be important if your camera writes large files [eg D800, 5DS], has a fast frame rate [eg D4, 1DX] or if you're planning on shooting HD video.

The basics are still as you understand them; raise the ISO [which you can now on a shot by shot basis] to enable a faster shutter speed for the same aperture or vice versa, the card speed has no bearing on your exposure. Hope that helps.

Back